Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have any ideas to fixing a leaking trunk? i've already done the "water test" to see if i can find the leak...that only worked a little. So far, I've put new weatherstripping in, rubberized the trunk interior, sealed the area where the spoiler is attached to the trunk lid, completely sealed and resealed the rear lights, checked the trunk vents for blockage, and sealed the area where the trunk lock is. Nothing seems to finish the job, after every rain storm, i still find water in spare wheel well, and underneath the trunk carpet (completey saturated). What the hell is going on? I read that old Mercedes had this same problem, and it was fixed by taking out the rear windshield and resealing it...(i'd rather not do that if i don't have too). Anyone have any suggestions? It's kind of important that this gets fixed ASAP. Thanks a lot!

(note: water gets in there whether the car is moving or parked)

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Water test? What's that?

Anyway, here's what I would do if I were you.

1. Get a friend, then get in the trunk with a flashlight, close it
2. Have the friend use a hose with a nozzle and spray the water in the air, straight up, to make it simulate coming down like rain on the car.
3. Using the flashlight, figure out where the water is coming from.

Of course, be sure your friend has the keys and the doors are unlocked so he can get to the trunk release lever just in case!

The other thing to try would be to get some powered chalk from a sporting good store (rock climbers use it on the hands) and then take it and run a small line around the inside of the rubber seals of the trunk and window. Where the water goes, the chalk line will be broken. You can also do this on the trunk rubber seal to make sure the rubber is contacting the sheet metal of the trunk lid.

If the rear windshield is leaking, just get some black silicon and run a small bead directly on top of the glass, sealing the crack between the seal and the glass. If you do it carefully, using the nozzle of the tube, you can make it very smooth and almost invisible to casual observers.

Good luck!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks a lot! i'll try it tonight.

as for the "water test" i meant this:
RS25.com said:

1. Get a friend, then get in the trunk with a flashlight, close it
2. Have the friend use a hose with a nozzle and spray the water in the air, straight up, to make it simulate coming down like rain on the car.
3. Using the flashlight, figure out where the water is coming from.

·
Registered
50 Posts
trunk leak

have u replaced ur rear light assembly? I had the same problem after I put in new tailight assembly. If u have, u will probably have to take out the lights and run a silicon bead around them , anyway hope this helps.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: trunk leak

redrs said:
have u replaced ur rear light assembly? I had the same problem after I put in new tailight assembly. If u have, u will probably have to take out the lights and run a silicon bead around them , anyway hope this helps.
yeah, i replaced the rear light assembly, but when i did it, i had made sure that everything was sealed (with fresh silicone). Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts