Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Experimenter
Tubaru Pickup
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I been trying to research on my own but i suck. I have a 98 Forester 5mt. Here's my ingredients.

I have:
95 EJ22e block
96 EJ25D heads
VF43 Turbo
Perrin FMIC
customized Divorced downpipe (to rotate turbo toward fender)
Custom uppipe

Ordering:
Walbro 255
STI Yellow injectors
newer WRX OE fuel pressure regulator.

For EM i was plannong on either the AEM F/ic or Emanage Ultimate. I would look at and SAFC Neo or Emanage Blue if somewaht can tell me i don't need to retard timing. I'm shooting for about 200whp, maybe a little more. Since I'm using 96 heads, the compression drops a little more so I'll probably be in the 15psi of boost area. Corrections on my assumptions wont offend me.

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
you do need to retard timing

FIC is a whole lot easier to work with than an Emanage imho

why such a big FMIC for such a relatively small turbo on low boost?

·
Experimenter
Tubaru Pickup
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you do need to retard timing

FIC is a whole lot easier to work with than an Emanage imho

why such a big FMIC for such a relatively small turbo on low boost?
correction its a VF43 and the FMIC was free:banana:

So now its between the Fic, PP SMT6 or Emanage Ultimate.

Has there been a relative easy fix or update for the noisy crank signal that messes up the AEM?

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS/C BRP
2,321 Posts
You don't want to use the PP6. It's archaic, causes havoc with the ECU because it modifies inputs, not outputs, and installing it such that you can pull timing means you can also burn out your coilpack. Basically the people who have a PP6 on the newer cars end up in a perpetual balancing act between running right and throwing codes.

The new SMT8 might work fine, but I can't find anyone who's actually used one...

·
Experimenter
Tubaru Pickup
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I been back and forth 100 times on EMU/FMU but decided to just splurge on the Ultimate. The Blue can retard timing but i think once i start playing witht he fuel maps it might make the timing unstable so I'm going straight for the ultimate to control fuel more stable like.

What all do i need now? The blue you have to buy seperate harness? Is the ultimates harness all inclusive or do i need an injector harness and ignition harnesses. I was going to add a A/R harness to tap in a wideband, and maybe a map sensor so i can log boost.

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS/C BRP
2,321 Posts
If you bought a new Ultimate you'll have everything you need. The old ones apparently needed external injector harnesses, but that's not true anymore. Look at Skidd's site for a good wiring explanation.

·
Experimenter
Tubaru Pickup
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Skidds site is defenitlay helpful. I'm loking at a unit on ebay now, I asked the seller a question about the wire. The harness looks like its missing a lot of wires, but after looking at the installation manual and Skidd site, i don't need a lot of the wires. maybe i can just repin the ones i dont need to the ones i do if any are missing. I might use my GM MAF so a couple inputs are different

update the ebay guy PM'd me a package deal price on:
The Ultimate unit
Universal harness
AR harness for wideband
Greddy map sensor
sensor harness

Not a jump up and down holy grail of deals or anything but seems i missed all the good deals from last fall on the forum markets. Now i want to start looking into some way to get the emamage to display my AFR, Boost and other stats onto a tablet display so i dont need all those guages

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
Skidds site is defenitlay helpful. I'm loking at a unit on ebay now, I asked the seller a question about the wire. The harness looks like its missing a lot of wires, but after looking at the installation manual and Skidd site, i don't need a lot of the wires. maybe i can just repin the ones i dont need to the ones i do if any are missing. I might use my GM MAF so a couple inputs are different

update the ebay guy PM'd me a package deal price on:
The Ultimate unit
Universal harness
AR harness for wideband
Greddy map sensor
sensor harness

Not a jump up and down holy grail of deals or anything but seems i missed all the good deals from last fall on the forum markets. Now i want to start looking into some way to get the emamage to display my AFR, Boost and other stats onto a tablet display so i dont need all those guages
let me know if I can assist, as we sell Greddy stuff

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS/C BRP
2,321 Posts
let me know if I can assist, as we sell Greddy stuff
Can you repair or have repaired Greddy stuff? If this is a used Emanage, there's a better than 50/50 chance it will need to be repaired, the injector MOSFETs seem to be made of wet tissue paper. That's what's wrong with mine...

·
Experimenter
Tubaru Pickup
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
good to know. I told him his price was ok, not great and said he would make sure i get a Rev "E" unit. I been back and forth with him a while know and would feel bad backing out at this point. Now that i finally made up my mind on an EMU, i need to pick a fuel, good old readily available 93 or one gas station per county E85

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS/C BRP
2,321 Posts
good to know. I told him his price was ok, not great and said he would make sure i get a Rev "E" unit. I been back and forth with him a while know and would feel bad backing out at this point. Now that i finally made up my mind on an EMU, i need to pick a fuel, good old readily available 93 or one gas station per county E85
IIRC, the EMU has the ability to switch maps via one of its programmable inputs. You could toss a switch in and get a tune for both, should you need to drop back to 93 for whatever reason.

·
Experimenter
Tubaru Pickup
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think your right, but i think its easier than that. Anyway looks like im blowing off my poor ebay guy afterall. I checked nasioc one for time for a used one and one was posted earlier, i was all over it. Emanage here we go.

·
Experimenter
Tubaru Pickup
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is Skidd around?

So you dont tap the crank, cam or RPM signal wires? The EMU detects the RPM through the ignition/coilpack wiring?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts