Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 2.5 obs, 98 Legacy GT Daily
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i drive a 97 obs with a 98 rs engine in it. it has the stock obs tranny and just a normal grocery getter type clutch in it(which was new). last night i was driving the car like i normally do nothing crazy but getting on it every now and then and hammering through the gears and I went to hit third after getting on it pretty good in first and second and no third it wouldnt go into gear. pulled over and with the clutch all the way to the floor i couldnt get it in any gear. thought id drive it about 20 yards to a safer parking lot by putting it in gear then starting the car and it wouldnt move and made a nasty tranny noise. so basically my engine and tranny are not connected and my clutch doesnt work. sounds like a good time to get a good act or excedy street clutch to me but im not 100% sure thats what the problem is. hopefully the rest of my tranny is fine. but since its a holiday weekend i wont be able to do anything about it until tuesday so im trying to figure out if I should go ahead and buy a clutch/flywheel combo to speed this shit up. what opinion does anyone have on what it might be? I dont know much about trannys but im thinking clutch,flywheel,pressure plate, or throwout bearing or all of the above. please hit me up with some input.thanks!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Does the clutch pedal feel any different? Maybe the clutch cable came loose or something. Might want to try looking at that.

If the cable is okay, maybe try disconnecting the cable and see about checking the clutch fork.

-Cybin

·
Registered
97 2.5 obs, 98 Legacy GT Daily
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that was the first thing i checked when the car was sitting by the road... i figured the two little bolts that loosen and tighten the clutch cable came loose or something but everything looked fine there and wasnt really loose. cant really remember if the pedal felt different or not. my biggest problem is i have to wait until tuesday to do anything because of the holiday weekend .

·
Registered
681 Posts
you could have broken the little metal clips that hold the throw out bearing to the clutch fork. If the clutch cable is still working proper then reguardless of what you broke your gong to have to seprate the trans from the engine to fix it. It is not difficult an hour or two on jack stands. You don't actually need to remove the trans or front axles just pull the driveshaft and slide the trans back on the cradle. It sounds like clutch problems to me. I doubt your trans sustained any damage. Good luck post up if you need any help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts