Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2001, 2.5RS, Black
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, sorry if theres already a thread on this but i couldnt find it and im in kind of a bind for time.

So im trying to replace my front drivers side axle on my 01 2.5RS, my problem is trying to find enough slack to pull my ball joint out of the lower control arm.

Now i have used a pickle fork to split the lower ball joint and calipers/rotors, and axle nut is all off (ive even hammered the axle from the outside to help get it out once my steering knuck/strut assemble is out of the way) But my problem is trying to get the ball joint stem out of the lower control arm... there is alot of tention and ive seen some videos on youtube of other people removing the ball joint from the control arm and they just lift it out and move it freely.. mine not the same story.

Does anyone have a nifty trick to help me move my steering knuckle assembly so i can slide my front axle out of it?

·
...Lower it
01 Aspen Ej205'd RS
7,013 Posts
Yea you have to disconnect the sway. Its a huge ass pain subaru ball joints. The pickle forks always seem to rip the boot anyway. I got a pickle fork end that you can put on a air chisel. That's how I finally got mine free

·
...Lower it
01 Aspen Ej205'd RS
7,013 Posts
Or you could do what I did one other time. Loosen the bolt above the ball joint so it falls out from the top. Be carefull tho, it usually snaps

·
Registered
2001, 2.5RS, Black
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Or you could do what I did one other time. Loosen the bolt above the ball joint so it falls out from the top. Be carefull tho, it usually snaps
ok i discounted the sway bar link from the lower control arm.. not to much difference, just a little more play.. what if i disconnect the stut from the steering knuckle.. then i could move the knuckle up and down and out of the way, right?

·
...Lower it
01 Aspen Ej205'd RS
7,013 Posts
Yea but you will have to get it aligned since you are moving the alignment bolt. Mark it with a white sharpie where it was. You may be able to get it close to where it was on you put it back together.

·
Registered
98 Outback Sport
1,249 Posts
just mark where the bolt is with a sharpie or something and call it good. thats what i did i just removed my strut bolts and it opened up enough room to pull the axle out and replace it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.