Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I’m having a rough time deciding on what to choose for my coil over set up for my 99' Impreza L. I was looking at the Tein Flex with EDFC but I have heard that the ride is pretty rough after the switch. I also have started to look at the Prodrive (Eibach/Bilstein) Setup on Rallysportdirect.com. Seeing that I do a lot of driving to school(everyday) or the girlfriends house(every so often), school being 10mins and the g/f places being 45 minutes both interstate driving. I need help choosing, I really like the idea of coilovers both for the pimp status and the adjustability, especially with the EDFC.
I would like my car to handle beautifully because it’s not that fast and I want to get in to the autocross business, so I was thinking the Tein Flex with the edfc, RSB, FSB, Fender brace, Strut bars f/r, and all the other tidbits that are available. I will have around 5grand to drop on suspension. I will be getting the Pirelli PZero Nero M&S and have Prodrive P7s 17".
If someone could help me out in my decision it would be appreciated. Thanks.
Peter

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,848 Posts
if you're worried about the harshness of the coilovers then they probably won't be to your liking. i drove serious_awesomeness's rex with the DMS 40mm coilovers on it and it made my man boobs bounce.

what i liked:
instant direction changes. no body roll. stayed planted to the road. felt quicker than my spring strut setup as far corner carving.

what i disliked:
made every part of my body bounce around in the seat when i hit anything on the road bigger than a cigarette butt. not very comfortable on a drive any longer than 20 minutes or so. had to pay a lot more attention to the actual road imperfections so wheels/tires didn't get jacked up....which made my overall driving impression of coilovers lower than what i think about the spring/strut combo.

would i get coilovers if i could afford them? yes. absolutely. i would probably lean toward the same thing you're thinking with the teins and edfc. i like the 'in car' controlability of them. i don't like having to stop and get out, turn the knobs on my agx's, and get back in the car...i know..lazy of me..:)

also...my knowledge of coilovers is very limited...but from what i understand...you can choose the spring rate and get rid of the harshness....but then, you might just be back to were you would have been with a less expensive spring/strut combo.

·
Registered
2012 Audi S4
1,954 Posts
i just had this delemma aswell...

seriously its like another 1000 bucks to go for the EDFC. I mean if you really wanna get serious with your coilovers go for the Bilstean PSS9's, there the same price as the Tien Flex but well alot better. i was gonna go the Flex with EDFC aswell but i realized im not that lazy the go and turn a nob. and the fact i dont need that on a daily driver

I ended up going with the Tien SuperStreet, basically they are made for a daily driver, thier not gonna kill you if u wanna drive on the streets, and then with simple adjusting u can prepare for the track. ive heard and read numerous posts on the superstreet and they are reliable and a good bang for your buck

aswell i just got a whiteline 20mm rsb, and well i have the same plan as you, tune the hell outta the suspension and say to hell with the engine for now...
And for the tires i suggest the Toyo Proxy T1R's, just had em on for about a month and WOW !!!!! they stick like glue, feels like your riding on rails around a corner

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm in oakland, and the roads suck (880- seriously?). I have kyb pink adjustable struts and usdm pink springs (Spring rates of about 190 f&r). My wife drives/rides in the car frequently, and tolerates the ride. I think she feels I have put a 'race' suspension on the car, and since we don't drive much, and rarely have passengers in the back- it's 'fun- weeeeee'.

The minute I suggest changing the suspension to something else- I get a squint and a trailing "Why........?"

What I'm getting at is that this doesn't/won't make your man boobs jiggle (unless you up the damping to '4' on the 1-4 range- I keep it 2f/1r) but you definitely feel the bumps, and potholes aren't a joke.

This is the point where I make the discaimer that I've but camber plates + grpN rear strut tops, HD endlinks f&r, ALK, cowl stays, f&r strut bars, 20mm r sway, grpN/whiteline trans, outrigger, steering bushings and subframe locks bolts. You prob get the idea- compliance in a lot of other areas has been reduced.

... I will also say that I freaking love love love it now. And even my wife grins more than she realizes. Soo... where am I going with this? Maybe take a conservative approach to the suspension.

The 'soft' spring rates and upgraded struts that I'm running are a fantastic upgrade from stock. Setting them to 4(highest) damping rate results is very little roll, and fantastic autocross fun. The struts also are dealing well with rallycross, something most non-specific coilovers won't put up with.

Coilovers are the rage, but good struts can be found cheap used, and have none of the maintenance, and higher end models like the bilstein prob have a dream ride.

You do sacrafice wheel clearance near the body, as well as a dialable ride height. To each their own, but if you want to 'lose the gap' for aesthetic reasons struts aren't your thing. I'm not into slammed, but damn, some of these peoples cars do look HOT. Get in touch with your inner rice, and see how loud it's shouting. If you can't hear it, look hard at the struts- they may be the ticket.

WHEW. Done. Don't drink and type kids.

Oh snap- read the scca autocross rules. I think EDFC puts you in an ugly class. Now, with all the shit on my car, I could care less about my class. But if you want to 'win', better read the rules. Seat time + tires pwns all, but still. You've been warned. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts