Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Baller
94 WRX, '11 R6 race bike
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty soon here I'm going to want to take my car to an autox after its all done here, but I don't really know which class I'll be putting it into.

As it stands currently, here are the modifications

Engine:
wrx ej255 engine
AEM cold air intake
HKS Carbon TI 3” catback

Transmission and Driveline:
06 WRX 5 speed manual transmission
wrx complete rear end

Brakes:
WRX 4 piston front brakes and rotors
WRX 2 piston rear brakes and rotors

Suspension:
JIC FLT-A2 coilovers
07 STI 21mm front sway bar
Cusco 20-22-24 mm rsb
Ebay Rear Tower Brace
WRX rear endlinks
STI front endlinks

Interior:
Sparco Sprints

Wheels/Tires
Subaru 5 spoke 16x7 wheels gold
Continental ContiExtemes 225/50/16

but hopefully pretty soon here i'll get some dunlops 235/40/17

thanks in advance

·
Registered
2.5RS Rally Car
2,066 Posts
SM - Street Mod. Or TSM - Street Tire Street Mod if your region does street tire classes.

·
Premium Baller
94 WRX, '11 R6 race bike
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok cool then, SM it is. I've never heard of TSM, i guess we don't do that here

·
Banned
'04 RS PBP w/ Black Tarmacs
1,805 Posts
I don't know what your region is like, but here (Colorado region) we have alot of good drivers and in SM you'd need R-compounds just to be in the running. I'm not sure though if your in it to run or to win. At any rate you probably have some time to decide on tires if you haven't sorted your suspension yet.

·
Premium Baller
94 WRX, '11 R6 race bike
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No I believe you need to go to EM. You changed the crossmember didn't you?

I did actually yea. I didnt see anything in the rules about the crossmember though, i must have missed that. Is there anything in SM as well about the Steering rack/column?

btw, what kind of cars run in EM?

·
Registered
1998 2.5 RS
1,744 Posts
From the rules

16.1.F. Steering modifications are permitted as follows:
1. Steering components, including the steering rack and/or box, tie rods, idler arms, power assist devices, and related components, may be replaced, added, moved, or removed. The steering column, within the passenger compartment, is specifically excluded from this allowance. This does not permit removal or modification of column-mounted accessories. Wheel-mounted electrical switches such as those for the horn, radio, cruise control, or shifter may be relocated and/or replaced, or eliminated.
The crossmember isn't specifically listed as something you can change so it falls under this.

16.1.P. Any minor modification, intended to allow or facilitate any allowed modification, is permitted as long as it does not provide any intrinsic performance benefit in and of itself, does not provide a weight reduction of more than 1 lb, and is not explicitly prohibited elsewhere within these rules. This rule is intended to allow minor notching, bending, clearancing, grinding; the drilling of holes; affixing, relocating, or strengthening of brackets; removal of small parts, and similar operations performed in order to facilitate the installation of allowed parts or modifications. Minor strengthening, without relocation, of original chassis/suspension pickup points is allowed.

Examples include welding washers restricting control arm mounting bolt movement, local reinforcement of control arm chassis mounts, etc.

These allowances do not permit extensive modifications to a subframe or cross-member to lower an engine which would otherwise not fit in the engine compartment.
EM are basically race cars based on street cars. It stinks the way the rules are because switching the crossmember has no real advantage in our cars. It isn't lighter, and doesn't change suspension points, but that is how the rules are.

That is why I did this:

·
Registered
1998 2.5 RS
1,744 Posts
I think maybe the intention is to keep people from swapping in tubular crossmembers and stuff like that. Most of those will shave a good bit of weight. Most cars can't simply bolt in another crossmember from another model, so I don't think they thought about this.

One more thing to think about salvator. You could probably talk to the people in your region and tell them you have that and that is what puts you out of the class. Most guys won't mind as they know it isn't really a performance benefit. It is really only if you go to divisional or national events that people would protest you. That being said I'm sure there are some regions where people take things too seriously.

·
Premium Baller
94 WRX, '11 R6 race bike
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
good point, ill keep that in mind the next time i go to an event. thanks for the info

·
Registered
2.5RS Rally Car
2,066 Posts
I think maybe the intention is to keep people from swapping in tubular crossmembers and stuff like that. Most of those will shave a good bit of weight. Most cars can't simply bolt in another crossmember from another model, so I don't think they thought about this.

One more thing to think about salvator. You could probably talk to the people in your region and tell them you have that and that is what puts you out of the class. Most guys won't mind as they know it isn't really a performance benefit. It is really only if you go to divisional or national events that people would protest you. That being said I'm sure there are some regions where people take things too seriously.
Most of the regions I've raced with have the "protests will be discussed at 2am in the parking lot of <creepy bar name> in <local ghetto city>" policy. It is always better to make sure the other people running in your class are OK with it though.

·
Registered
1993 Impreza L Greyish
1,694 Posts
Looks more like a XP car to me than EM

XP is like the SM of Prepared... Allows engine swaps and nearly unlimited suspension (including cross members and changing/adding mount locations etc)

EM is actually a higher class.

Oh and in Prepared you can run full race slicks (iirc) none of that DOT legal crap... heh

-Tim

·
Registered
1998 2.5 RS
1,744 Posts
Hadn't noticed that. In normal prepared you aren't allowed to replace, but in XP you can replace anything that is attached with removable fasteners.

You can run full race slicks in prepared also.

I still don't think this is much of help considering the cars in XP. Sometimes Dave Newman brings his XP Porsche to events. It is amazingly fast, of course he was also the national champion :)

·
Premium Baller
94 WRX, '11 R6 race bike
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok cool, well the next even i head over to, ill start register for SM and see what the people there think, whether its good or not. One of the guys that usually deals with registration in the San Francisco Bay region is a member on this site and he should have some insight into my situation as to which class might fit me best as well.
I read through the rulebook a bit but I myself am still unsure as to which class fits me best. We'll see though, ill mention all of this the next time I go

Btw, slicks would be cool but i don't have the kind of money for that right now :/

1 - 20 of 22 Posts