Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99' 2.5RS Silverthorn
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone
Here is the situation...I have a 1999 2.5rs. I recently bought the car, about 3 months ago and was told the engine was rebuilt about 30k miles ago, the body has 140k. A few days ago the oil light comes on for a short time but its flickering. I think, alright lets check the oil. Oil is full, not the cleanest but it doesn't really need to be changed. I have this flickering the whole way home. The next day I start the car, oil light is off at first then comes on shortly after starting to drive, it has stopped flickering but is more consistently on but will go away every once and a while but will come back. I start to think its a bad switch, I change that out but the light is still on. We check the pressure. At this point the gauge I am using shows no pressure. A buddy of mine recommends that it might be the oil pump, we spent the afternoon getting a new pump in. Still have the oil light, engine knocks but not consistent, and we still have no pressure showing. I don't know if there is a special way for using this pressure gauge but he tested it on his own car and it worked the same way we were trying it on my car. So after this is said and done the car starts to, what sounds like choking (I am not that great with cars but I trust my buddies judgment, he was a Firestone mechanic and has worked on these cars before). Just on idle, it will choke and die. We changed out the oil when we did the pump, I also just tried changing the PCV valve, I thought what the heck and it might have needed it anyway. Still have oil light and engine does not sound like it wants to be running, it will start but gets boggie in idle. It sounds like a block of some kind and I am hoping its nothing internal, but at this point I am not sure what else to look for. This forum rocks and I hope that someone on here might have had a similar experience.

·
Registered
1998 Forester on Orange 57F
4,129 Posts
Hate to say it but it sounds like a bearing failure. Any chance you checked for metal when you changed the oil?

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
I would have to agree with Brydon on this one. If you still have the last used filter, cut it open and check for metal.

·
Registered
99' 2.5RS Silverthorn
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I found an extra car for the next few days so I am good there. I will cut the filter open in the next day and let you know. There wasn't any shavings in the oil when we drained it but we didn't check the filter. My buddy was thinking it might be the bearings and I was afraid of that. I will let you guys know what I find in the filter. I don't have anyway right now to make a video but I will try and find a way cause I am sure that might help.

·
Registered
99' 2.5RS Silverthorn
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your help everyone. I took it to a mechanic that I trust yesterday and it does look like it's the bearings so it looks like I will be rebuilding, which really sucks. I eventually wanted the engine to crap out so it would give me an excuse to do an STI swap but it couldn't have come at a worse time.
Thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts