Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Part Deux
2001 WRXed Caged L
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay... basically I want to run 17x9 wheels for road racing my car.

I understand I'll at least need...

STi hubs (So wheel bearings don't go bad all the time)
STi control arms (I think they can be WRX too?)
Coilovers (Do they need to be STi specific or GC body specific? I want V2 or V3 KW's)
STi brembos brakes?
STi sized sway bars?
17x9 5x114 wheels (Obviously would be last)

The issue is I have is that I have to get the suspension done before I do a engine/transmission swap also.. my L has rear drum brakes and no rear sway bar.

This is really important: I need to know what order I need to buy the parts and what year STi's I can get the parts I need from. If I have to wait and collect everything to be put on all at once, that is okay but obviously if I don't have to do that it would be nice.

·
Registered
stm99,flatblack99,07sti,blk98
566 Posts
hmm..i dunno if this pertains to you but i swapped my rs hubs for wrx ones and i had abs issues bc of the different sensors and axles...but all im doing is transmission/drivetrain swap.. i would wait to get everything first and throw it all on at once so you dont have conflicting interests/issues..like i had.

·
Part Deux
2001 WRXed Caged L
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm..i dunno if this pertains to you but i swapped my rs hubs for wrx ones and i had abs issues bc of the different sensors and axles...but all im doing is transmission/drivetrain swap.. i would wait to get everything first and throw it all on at once so you dont have conflicting interests/issues..like i had.
Eeek.. yeah that would not be good. Especially since this is my only car.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I need to know what order I need to buy the parts and what year STi's I can get the parts I need from.
You can get 5x114 hubs from a Peanut or Pignose. JonGF8 did the hub swap on his L, not sure if he posts here anymore. Not sure about next generation hubs but I know the up to the GDB hubs at least will work on our cars. But you need the STi control arms first, IIRC. Otherwise, they fit.

Is your L AWD? If not, you need a new gas tank, too.

·
Part Deux
2001 WRXed Caged L
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can get 5x114 hubs from a Peanut or Pignose. JonGF8 did the hub swap on his L, not sure if he posts here anymore. Not sure about next generation hubs but I know the up to the GDB hubs at least will work on our cars. But you need the STi control arms first, IIRC. Otherwise, they fit.
Thanks! I'll try and check out some of JonGF8's posts.

Is your L AWD? If not, you need a new gas tank, too.
Yup, glad I wouldn't have to mess with that!

·
Premium Member
'08 DGM Legacy Spec. B
1,105 Posts
IIRC, you cannot put on 5x114.3 hubs unless you plan on getting a 6MT or custom axles. The R160 axle splines will not match up with an R180. I first did a normal rear disc conversion using RS rear hubs. Later when I changed my tranny to a Ver.4 Type R 5 spd. w/ DCCD, I put on 04 STI rear hubs so I could put on rear brembos. But this tranny had a R180 and I used 04 STI axles as well.
Regarding coilovers, if you really plan on getting 5x114.3 hubs, you can get GC specific coilovers but you need to be able to get the bottom pieces for 05+ STI. I highly recommend STANCE coilovers as you can easily get this custom setup sent to you without sourcing piece by piece. They also have custom spring rates. Let me know if you need some.
IIRC, you won't necessarily need 02+ sedan control arms but you might as well since you're going through all the work.
Your best bet is to compile all parts and hammer it out in a weekend. For a proper 5x114.3 swap, you will need:
-6MT tranny
-05+ STI hubs all around
-05+ STI axles
-Brembos all around
-Coilovers with GC tophats and 05+STI bottom pieces

That's all I can think of right now. You can also contact VinceGC8, he has actually done the 5x114.3 swap and is experienced with aggressive setups like 17x9 w/ 255s.

·
Part Deux
2001 WRXed Caged L
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help Jon!

Yeah.. sounds like a list of parts to compile for sure. I wonder if it's remotely possible to put the 6MT transmission to my stock L 2.2 motor... because I know I can't afford to buy the entire swap all at once.

·
Premium Member
'08 DGM Legacy Spec. B
1,105 Posts
Yeah.. sounds like a list of parts to compile for sure. I wonder if it's remotely possible to put the 6MT transmission to my stock L 2.2 motor... because I know I can't afford to buy the entire swap all at once.
Yes you can bolt it on your 2.2L!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts