Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Need advice on Strut and Spring combo

3K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  llama159 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I am planning to get a strut and spring combo for my GC8. So far from my research, I have KYB AGX or Koni for strut and Ground Control Adjustable spring. Also, should I buy some good cambers plate too? What do you guys think? Feel free to give me some other brand. Thanks

Calvin

#6 ·
Yes. And Tokico are in IMO the best of the three having at one point run all three on my wagon. The Spec D's (Tokicos) adjust from the top and if you have a wagon, they can all 4 be adjusted in 2 minutes (GREAT for quick auto-x changes with air pressure).

I have only used Swift springs and can not say enough good things about them. Nice drop, no bounce (even running GR-2 KYBs, yet another combo I tried), firm without 'punishment'.

I also gave coilovers a shot, but after 'corner weighting' and getting the softest springs available, I was still very unhappy with the ride ~ I'm too old for that s***!

Also, if you have a wagon, Swift are one of only two 'wagon specific' springs available to save you from a drooping ass... If your butt drops anyway, Shane @ Paranoid Fabrications has a spacer that will lift your butt back up!

Here's the drop:

#9 ·
There is a member on here who painted his wheels white not too long ago that has the ground control set up. I can't remember his username but search in the gallery and you are bound to find him - you should pm him.

I have kyb agx / p1 combo and love it but it doesn't give you much of a drop. If you want to go low though I recomend you check out H&R or perrin springs but they will kill your struts very fast. If you are just trying to drop the beast check out meagan coils.

#12 ·
Well, I am using this car for daily drive and ocassionally will use it for auto-x and track. From the combo, i wish the car can have a better handling, meaning when taking corner it can go very smooth because the stock setup that I have right now doesn't give me a stable feeling.

And my budget would be around 1k.

Thanks!

#18 ·
You make a good point about the D Specs but the same goes for the RCE springs sadly. I love RCE's SS springs on an STi but I think the closest you can get to those are Gymkaima springs. Do some searching for Aquacow's Koni/Gym setup.

If you're dead set on RCE springs you should call them and voice the demand for their springs for the GC chassis. That's how people got RCE coilovers made ;)

#20 · (Edited)
^ That's the one.

You can get the parts from various sites but I recommend RCE (racecompengineering.com or gtworx.com) because they support the Subaru community. Look in the vendors section for their package deal.

I want to make this clear, I'm not responsible for your purchase, buying experience, install issues, and happiness with the parts. I warned you once about taking people's opinions on parts and my personal preference is a bit "stiffer" than most. I think the P1 springs are soggy noodles while others think they're perfect. To give you an idea in the jump between the P1s and the Gymkhana's just look at the spring rates...

Prodrive P1: Front-215 Rear-195
STi Gymkhana: Front-286 Rear-274

Also remember that I don't have any experience with these springs. I'm basing my preference on past experience with softer springs which didn't fulfil my needs.

#25 ·
#27 ·
I know everyone has a fav tire, but i've been AutoXing for many years. I always drove Honda's up to this year [I will never go back to FWD]. After going through 3 sets of tires in one season i was a bit upset... So I bought a set of Hankook K106's because they where cheaper than just about every other performance tire. I've gone through $200 Kumho Ecsta's, or $230 Pirelli PZero's. Most high-performance tires will set you back $200 bucks per tire. But the cheap [$100-$120] Hankooks grip just as well as the others, I wouldn't steer you wrong. And they are as good as any performance all-season in rain and snow. If I tried taking the Kumho's through snow I'd be stuck. Best part however, these tires wear less than almost any performance tire. I got through an entire AutoX season on one set of tires for once. Read the reviews, these tires are equal to the best summer performance tires.

Review-
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...ankook/product/byName.do&mf=Hankook&tc=HANHH4

#28 ·
but the problem right now is, a mechanic told me my front-left camber plate/ strut is bent or needed to replace. I brought my car to him for alignment test, but couldn't to do it. Right now my car is tilt to the left. I don't want to replace with one original strut.

I will buy the KYB strut (Thanks to DunDunskeert for the great thread). TimFlat4, do you think I just get the P1 spring or the swift sport spring? I read your comment about the P1 and swift spring are very soft relative to gymkhana. But since I am no longer getting the koni/gymkhana combo, would that be mynext best alternative route to go with?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.