Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am planning to get a strut and spring combo for my GC8. So far from my research, I have KYB AGX or Koni for strut and Ground Control Adjustable spring. Also, should I buy some good cambers plate too? What do you guys think? Feel free to give me some other brand. Thanks

Calvin

·
Registered
01 stm sedan w/v4 sugar
3,499 Posts
Koni's with Swift springs! That's what I'll be doing anyway before too long. Just need to find some Koni's...

·
Registered
06' Leg Spec B - No more RS :(
403 Posts
I just picked up KYB AGXs prodrive P1's and some group n strut mounts can't wait to get them on everyone says it is a great set up

·
The Silverback Mod
05 Black OBS
8,896 Posts
isn't koni is better than kyb?
Yes. And Tokico are in IMO the best of the three having at one point run all three on my wagon. The Spec D's (Tokicos) adjust from the top and if you have a wagon, they can all 4 be adjusted in 2 minutes (GREAT for quick auto-x changes with air pressure).

I have only used Swift springs and can not say enough good things about them. Nice drop, no bounce (even running GR-2 KYBs, yet another combo I tried), firm without 'punishment'.

I also gave coilovers a shot, but after 'corner weighting' and getting the softest springs available, I was still very unhappy with the ride ~ I'm too old for that s***!

Also, if you have a wagon, Swift are one of only two 'wagon specific' springs available to save you from a drooping ass... If your butt drops anyway, Shane @ Paranoid Fabrications has a spacer that will lift your butt back up!

Here's the drop:

·
Registered
01 stm sedan w/v4 sugar
3,499 Posts
^ Uh, what?

Also, if you have a wagon, Swift are one of only two 'wagon specific' springs available to save you from a drooping ass... If your butt drops anyway, Shane @ Paranoid Fabrications has a spacer that will lift your butt back up!
Once again, Koni and Swift win.

·
You can't see me!
bon 12
4,923 Posts
There is a member on here who painted his wheels white not too long ago that has the ground control set up. I can't remember his username but search in the gallery and you are bound to find him - you should pm him.

I have kyb agx / p1 combo and love it but it doesn't give you much of a drop. If you want to go low though I recomend you check out H&R or perrin springs but they will kill your struts very fast. If you are just trying to drop the beast check out meagan coils.

·
2.0L Turboner
94 RWD WRX & 82 EJ Brat
8,673 Posts
Calvin, lets start off by doing this:

What are you using the car for?
What do you want the car to do?
What do you need the car to do?

Answer those questions and we'll go from there. Also, a budget would help too.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Calvin, lets start off by doing this:

What are you using the car for?
What do you want the car to do?
What do you need the car to do?

Answer those questions and we'll go from there. Also, a budget would help too.

Well, I am using this car for daily drive and ocassionally will use it for auto-x and track. From the combo, i wish the car can have a better handling, meaning when taking corner it can go very smooth because the stock setup that I have right now doesn't give me a stable feeling.

And my budget would be around 1k.

Thanks!

·
2.0L Turboner
94 RWD WRX & 82 EJ Brat
8,673 Posts
Well, I am using this car for daily drive and ocassionally will use it for a

uto-x and track. From the combo, i wish the car can have a better handling, meaning when taking corner it can go very smooth because the stock setup that I have right now doesn't give me a stable feeling.

And my budget would be around 1k.

Thanks!
So there is more concentraition on comfort and stability. With that budget and idea of general usage Id suggest sticking with a spring and strut upgrade instead of coilovers. You've essentially got endless options now, so let's figure out what's right for you.

Do you want the option of adjustability in the stiffness of the struts or would you rather "set it and forget it"?

How tolerant are you of stiffer and bouncier ride?

What size wheels and tires are you running?

Do you have any friend's cars that you've ridden to compare?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So there is more concentraition on comfort and stability. With that budget and idea of general usage Id suggest sticking with a spring and strut upgrade instead of coilovers. You've essentially got endless options now, so let's figure out what's right for you.

Do you want the option of adjustability in the stiffness of the struts or would you rather "set it and forget it"?

How tolerant are you of stiffer and bouncier ride?

What size wheels and tires are you running?

Do you have any friend's cars that you've ridden to compare?
I would like the adjustability in stiffness and pretty tolerate about the stiffness. And i am running the stock subaru wheel.

I got a friend who's strut is changed (but didn't know the brand). The feels of its handling is pretty good and stabe.

Just wondering, why wouldn't you recommend me getting coilovers? Is that because my budget couldn't get me a good coilovers or some other reasons?

I have did some research already. Seems like alot of people say the d-spec strut and a usdm sti spring (or other spring) are a good setup.

Thanks in advance!

·
2.0L Turboner
94 RWD WRX & 82 EJ Brat
8,673 Posts
I would like the adjustability in stiffness and pretty tolerate about the stiffness. And i am running the stock subaru wheel.

I got a friend who's strut is changed (but didn't know the brand). The feels of its handling is pretty good and stabe.

Just wondering, why wouldn't you recommend me getting coilovers? Is that because my budget couldn't get me a good coilovers or some other reasons?

I have did some research already. Seems like alot of people say the d-spec strut and a usdm sti spring (or other spring) are a good setup.

Thanks in advance!
Since you would prefer to have adjustable struts you've narrowed down your choices to three; KYB AGX, Koni Sports or "yellows", and Tokico D Specs. I only have experience with AGXs and Konis, and I prefer Konis because the valving. However, I don't like the lack of noted or numbered points of adjustment, which the AGXs have. The best thing you can do is ask for rides or to drive other people's moded Subies to find what you like. Forum hype is the worst way to choose parts, especially something as important as your suspension. I speak from experience. I bought Prodrive P1 springs for my old RS because so many people praised them. I ended up hating them. Take forum suggestions with a grain of salt, I can't emphasize that enough.

The reasons I suggest against coilovers for you is because it sounds like you don't really need them and with your budget you'll be buying entry-level coilovers like Megans, which hold true to the saying "you get what you pay for." Quality coilvers such as RCE T2s, ZZYZX EMs, Bilstein PSS9s etc will run you in the neighborhood of $2k.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Since you would prefer to have adjustable struts you've narrowed down your choices to three; KYB AGX, Koni Sports or "yellows", and Tokico D Specs. I only have experience with AGXs and Konis, and I prefer Konis because the valving. However, I don't like the lack of noted or numbered points of adjustment, which the AGXs have. The best thing you can do is ask for rides or to drive other people's moded Subies to find what you like. Forum hype is the worst way to choose parts, especially something as important as your suspension. I speak from experience. I bought Prodrive P1 springs for my old RS because so many people praised them. I ended up hating them. Take forum suggestions with a grain of salt, I can't emphasize that enough.

The reasons I suggest against coilovers for you is because it sounds like you don't really need them and with your budget you'll be buying entry-level coilovers like Megans, which hold true to the saying "you get what you pay for." Quality coilvers such as RCE T2s, ZZYZX EMs, Bilstein PSS9s etc will run you in the neighborhood of $2k.
Can you install D-Spec on a RS? I thought they are only available for 02 and up. Well, since i couldn't find any subie that is willing to give me a ride, so i would trust your opinion and of course other people's recommendations too. (Prior to this thread, I did some research all over the website: NASIOC, i-club. etc...) For the strut, I would either pick koni's yellow or D-Spec. And regarding the spring, I think i will be getting the RCE spring and also sti group N mounts. Any opinion?

Have you ever heard of any comment on STANCE coilovers?

Thanks!

Calvin

·
2.0L Turboner
94 RWD WRX & 82 EJ Brat
8,673 Posts
You make a good point about the D Specs but the same goes for the RCE springs sadly. I love RCE's SS springs on an STi but I think the closest you can get to those are Gymkaima springs. Do some searching for Aquacow's Koni/Gym setup.

If you're dead set on RCE springs you should call them and voice the demand for their springs for the GC chassis. That's how people got RCE coilovers made ;)

·
2.0L Turboner
94 RWD WRX & 82 EJ Brat
8,673 Posts
^ That's the one.

You can get the parts from various sites but I recommend RCE (racecompengineering.com or gtworx.com) because they support the Subaru community. Look in the vendors section for their package deal.

I want to make this clear, I'm not responsible for your purchase, buying experience, install issues, and happiness with the parts. I warned you once about taking people's opinions on parts and my personal preference is a bit "stiffer" than most. I think the P1 springs are soggy noodles while others think they're perfect. To give you an idea in the jump between the P1s and the Gymkhana's just look at the spring rates...

Prodrive P1: Front-215 Rear-195
STi Gymkhana: Front-286 Rear-274

Also remember that I don't have any experience with these springs. I'm basing my preference on past experience with softer springs which didn't fulfil my needs.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts