Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped by the Nationals today in Topeka. I have to say you couldn't swing a dead cat w/o hitting a Subaru. They were everywhere. I took a bunch of pics that I will edit and post somewhere tonight. Here is a quick one of Eric's car.

Peaty

Attachments

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
well, subaru got its ass kicked all around this year. civics swept the top 3 spots in STS. the fastest DS WRX was 11th i think. GS was 8th. STX was 3rd or something.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Yeah, our guys didn't do as well in SoloII this year as in the past, but they rocked in ProSolo. They won STS, STX and DS.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
I certainly feel bad for not placing higher in DSP. To our defense, we got hit by mechanical trouble trouble thursday and were misfiring miserably.

Bad oxygenated/ethenol KS gas + octane boost + leaned out AFC settings + effective cold air intake = major misfiring.

I got one run thursday with full power, which I promptly coned out of contention. Friday went much better for us, but not well enough to dig out of the hole we dug the day before.

'twas nice to see all the Subaru support and enthusiasts. We should plan a meet while there for next year....BabyDolls maybe?

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BabyDolls has my vote,

Not that I've ever been there mind you :rolleyes:

·
Registered
'02 GG (Grocery Getter)
41 Posts
Storm said:
Bad oxygenated/ethenol KS gas + octane boost + leaned out AFC settings + effective cold air intake = major misfiring.
So what did you learn about this? :)

Bring your own gas from home. :)

Not having the car as a daily driver there, I used 6 gallons for 24 pro runs (Co driven), 4 challenge runs, 2 challenge starts only (others redlighted) and 6 Solo-II runs.

If you bring a big tank of gas from home, then the only issue, if it is one, would be the altitude. (My car is used to sea level to around 400 feet).

--kC

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm proud to to hold the "Slowest STS Subaru @ The 2002 Solo II Nationals" title. :(

My inexperience on large courses really showed. I was well off the pace both days, and had some cone problems on day one. It was definitely a very humbling experience for me. This is only my 2nd year of autoxing and it my first (premature) trip to Nationals. Kudos to they guy in the wedge! He was flying. It was nice meeting some of you guys there!

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Did the guy in the XT beat you, Craig? That would surprise me. He was flying though!

Yes, we learned to NOT buy gas in Topeka! We also learned about fiddling with the AFC. Next year we'll be much more careful where we buy gas from!

Hopefully, I'll know how to drive by then too so the RS won't look so bad!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
Leg 3.6R, FXT, XV, BRZ
325 Posts
Peaty! To bad I missed you, I was there Tue. through Fri! I had fun, met a lot of great people, and realized I drove 1400 miles to get my ass kicked! I officially had the 2nd slowest Subaru in STS :D Just slightly ahead of Craig! :happynow:

I keep saying that it was the 15" tires I run that was keeping me slow...but considering R. West runs 15's and he was the fastest Subaru....that would be wrong. Well it was fun seeing some parts of the country I had never seen before...Larry Flints Hustler Club to name one! :D I also learned why the little 8-inch tires on my autocross trailer say "Do Not Exceed 55mph!" after blowing both tires after traveling most of the way at 85-90 mph!:biggest: , Oh well, tires for the trailer are cheap...and it handles pretty good after the tire comes completely off the rim LOL!

Will

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
I can see where the north course woulda been tougher with 15's. Though, you surely had to be D E E P into 3rd by the last 180* :eek: !!!
The south course probably had you needing 3rd in the middle of the back slalom and right before the finishline....am I right?:)

West probably has a tweaked ECU with a higher rev-cut. That's what we were after all season while running the 15's. Sorry we all didn't hang out more often. Personally, we were wrenching most of tues-wed, and getting psyched to run after y'all on thurs-fri. We had to devote support to our locals too.

Next year we'll plan a meet. For sure!

·
Registered
Leg 3.6R, FXT, XV, BRZ
325 Posts
Haha, North course saw 3rd gear from just out of the first 180 all the way to the last 180 (yes, carried it in 3rd throught the middle 180! :eek: ). South course wasn't to bad, but I was bumping the limiter right where you estimated. I figure I could have been a 10th or 2 faster on each course by just runiing 16's! :run:

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Oh yeah, baby!!!! and you musta been flyin through that long assed slalom after it!

The 16's did us well by barely scratching 6500RPM before the 1st 180* and then nailing 3rd gear halfway between the last two 180's!

The south course saw us carry hella speed through the first slalom and then bang the limiter coming out of the backstretch and again into the last 180*.

Had we not saw the bad misfiring, I'm confident I could've knocked on the trophy door.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Was that you Jay individually pulling wires off the coilpack one by one hoping to get shocked? ;) I feel for you guys, that sucks to have those problems at Nats.

My suggestion - First, only by Amoco 92 octane. Second, fill it up full and reset your ECU while you're in Topeka early in the week. I don't think the gas is bad at all here, but since each region differs, the ECU reset would probably help.

Well, I would have talked to ya this year, but you had your hands full when I was there watching you (?) get shocked... :)

- Steve Sulatycki

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Yeah, I was trying to eliminate easy crap since we usually spray the motor down between runs. It's been so long since I pulled the wires, it was a bitch to get them off!

We WERE using Amoco 92. We ran crap gas all the way out from Ohio so I added a bottle of 104+ to it as well. Once things got hot, our AFC settings along with all that alcohol in the gas just didn't sit well with the car. We did do an ECU reset 2 days prior after fixing the fuel tank slosh problem we all experience.

Once we remapped the AFC to run pig-rich and boosted our fuel pressure a bit, we were making great power. We were spinning the 225 50 16's hard off the line, and just barrelling out of corners!

Next year we'll all get together outside Forbes Field and enjoy some stress-free time together (@BabyDolls)!!!!!!!!!!:drool:

zzyzx said:
Was that you Jay individually pulling wires off the coilpack one by one hoping to get shocked? ;) I feel for you guys, that sucks to have those problems at Nats.

My suggestion - First, only by Amoco 92 octane. Second, fill it up full and reset your ECU while you're in Topeka early in the week. I don't think the gas is bad at all here, but since each region differs, the ECU reset would probably help.

Well, I would have talked to ya this year, but you had your hands full when I was there watching you (?) get shocked... :)

- Steve Sulatycki

1 - 17 of 17 Posts