Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
06 Wrangler Unlimited
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car in question is a 1993 FWD Impreza L wagon. It is modded, but I don't think any of the mods are relevant to my problem.

Basically, I have this really nasty rubbing/scraping sound. It's been doing it for about 3 weeks now and seems to be getting slightly worse over time. It is easily heard at any speed, and gets faster as speed increases. At 65mph it is basically a solid tone.

Originally I thought it was coming from the rear of the car. I jacked up the rear end and spun both wheels, and sure enough I heard some rubbing. Traced it down to the shoes rubbing on the drums. Replaced the drums because the old ones were slightly out of round. Sure enough, the rubbing on the drums stopped, but the original sound was still there. I also thought that the tires might be rubbing on the struts, so I tried some 5mm spacers on the rear wheels, and that made no difference either.

Now, as the sound started to get louder I've realized that it seems to be coming from the front end, not the rear. Visually, everything seems normal. Jacked up both side and shook the wheels to test the wheel bearings.. passed. I had one front wheel off the ground at a time when I was doing this.

One thing I noticed is that both front wheels have some play in them, even when the other three are on the ground. I can turn each wheel about 30-40mm (measured on the outside edge of the tire), and when it stops turning a sort of clunk comes from the transmission. The entire axle spins with the wheel on each side, so I think that rules out the CV joints.

Basically, I'm wondering if this "play" in the front wheels is normal, or if it might be the source of my rubbing sound.

Cheers
Corey

·
Registered
95 GC 371hp/355tq ej25 1.5xtr
4,494 Posts
i dont really know but another thing i would try is just get a can or two of brake cleaner and clean off everything that looks dirty, maybe some dirt got stuck somewhere.

heatshielf from the exhaust touching the driveshaft maybe?

·
Premium Member
98 OBS, Black/Grey
2,724 Posts
i dont really know but another thing i would try is just get a can or two of brake cleaner and clean off everything that looks dirty, maybe some dirt got stuck somewhere.

heatshielf from the exhaust touching the driveshaft maybe?
his car is FWD so no drive shaft.

·
Registered
99' L-WRX wagon
591 Posts
have you noticed any affects on your gas mileage?

·
Registered
2000 Imp 5 door Sport
6,269 Posts
im guessing you checked front pads.
if you get the time i would check wheel bearings again. im guessing you checked oil and tranny fluid.

·
Registered
MY01 2.5 rs Black
696 Posts
Subaru front wheel bearings often make noise, and have failed, without having any free play in them. The wheel shake test isn't fail-safe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts