Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
anyone?!? is there no subaru techs out there that have heard this enough that can tell me if its bottom end or head/valves...

·
Registered
01 RS
170 Posts
I'm voting rod knock as well. I had a motor with that problem and it would get loud as hell sometimes then others it quieted down. A way to test your bottom end that I know of, may not be the best way but works. While the car is running pull a spark plug wire off and see if it changes. No change reattach plug wire and move to the next cylinder. But be careful it can shock you, which doesn't feel too good.

·
Registered
99 OBS
276 Posts
Couple of things, yes it sounds a good bit like rod knock, but it also sounds a bit like a bad exhaust leak. Have you crawled under the car yet?

What you should do is, either get a stethoscope, or just use a long extension from a ratchet, or even a long screwdriver and go around the engine and touch the end of the extension/screwdriver on different locations of the block, valve covers, etc, and put your ear on the handle end, it'll work like a stethoscope. This will help you pin point where the noise is coming from.

·
Registered
99 OBS
276 Posts
Also, I meant to add. That is almost the exact same noise my timing belt tensioner made when it shyt the bed. The bearings inside of it just grenaded so it just bounces up and down on the shaft itself, sounded exactly like rod knock. The quickest way to find that out, is to pull the drivers side cam cover off, it'll take you 10 mins to get off, and you will see metal shavings inside there, and probably bb's from the bearing exploding.

Either way, you need to stop driving that car before you cause further damage, if it's the TB tensioner, it will eventually shred the belt or skip timing and boom goes the dynamite. ;)
Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
A lot of you are saying rod knock and I'm curious as to what fixes there are for that. I found a 2005 RS Wagon I want to save. She runs and drives, but it sounds like a rod knock. I really don't want to spend $2K putting a new EJ253 in her (unless I absolutely have to), so any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS/C BRP
2,321 Posts
A lot of you are saying rod knock and I'm curious as to what fixes there are for that. I found a 2005 RS Wagon I want to save. She runs and drives, but it sounds like a rod knock. I really don't want to spend $2K putting a new EJ253 in her (unless I absolutely have to), so any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Rod knock isn't something you can really save... You can get a junkyard engine, most 2.5s will be compatible with your car, they'll just need to have the intake and sensors swapped.

·
Baby Sitter
1995 Red Bomber Impreza
2,228 Posts
double check to make sure you don't have an egr on your engine or you will need to swap out that head or just deal with the cel

1 - 10 of 10 Posts