Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  1. Features a person who was worshipped as a Good Shepherd, the Way, the Truth and the Light, the Redeemer, the Savior, and the Messiah.
  2. Founder was born in an unusual manner.
  3. Founder's birth is celebrated on Dec 25.
  4. Founder visited by Shepherds and by Magi.
  5. Founder traveled through the countryside, taught, and performed miracles with his 12 disciples.
  6. Founder cast out devils, returned sight to the blind, healed the lame, etc.
  7. Founder held a last supper, was killed, buried in a rock tomb.
  8. Founder rose again after three days later, at the time of the spring equinox, circa MAR-21.
  9. Founder later ascended into heaven.
  10. Members celebrate the anniversary of resurrection.
  11. Members hold services on Sunday.
  12. Rituals included a Eucharist and six other sacraments.
  13. Considers abstinence, celibacy, and self-control to be among their highest virtues.
  14. Baptise their followers.
  15. Followers use a cross as a holy symbol.

·
Registered
'99 2.5 RS Rally Blue Pearl
937 Posts
i think the point is that many many religions are based off of a messiah like character with these experiences, yet there is a religious divide that can blossom into war and death in the right environments

·
Registered
'99 2.5 RS Rally Blue Pearl
937 Posts
i'd say christianity, but i didn't think jesus was actually born on dec. 25th. i thought that the bible hinted at a birth in the spring/summer and that dec 25th came into existance as christianity spread across cultures and started to join with other belief structures celibrating the winter solstace :)

but as always i could be wrong

·
Banned
1,359 Posts
Yeah, Tryp.. I kinda cheated though.. I googled something like "religious figures born on dec25" and got all kinds of hits.. I read a very little bit, but the one thing that connected them all was the celebrations of the Sun in the 12 or so days leading up to the 25th, and the equinox celebrations in Late March. This started in the times of the Scottish mystics (Pictish) through to the Greeks and Romans most notably.

There was a show, or movie, or something I saw a while back.. I can't remember what it was, but they had a little saying in it that I feel rings true.

The set up is that, a great battle had been fought and the day won. And as the warriors regaled their tales of battle, the narration says..

"Tales becomes stories, stories become legends, legends become myth, myth becomes religion"

I personally feel that "religion" is humanities attempt to put a face on a power and energy they do not understand or comprehend, nor can easily explain but that we are all aware of, and a part of.

·
Banned
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:stupid: Cheater!!!! LOL

I'd be interested in hearing what Christian fundamentalists think about this.......

From what I have read, this faith originated before Christianity and they were competing for followers for some time. There was some "borrowing" going on between them, but it appears that the majority was done by Christians trying to win more popular support(away from pagans and the like). So, they altered artwork, changed fundamentals of their oral traditions, etc. to win support.

Our current administration is very similar!!! :corn:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts