Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Registered
2,026 Posts
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but... You may find that exhaust manifold doesn't fit the car. Check that fitment as soon as you can. I wanted to run an EL on my build but it would have involved moving the core support forward like ... Four inches.

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Rim Automotive lighting
after running the car for only 5 minutes, it was obvious that the harnesses near the headers needed some thermal protection. I ended up wrapping the harness on the core support (ABS and fans) as well as the lower radiator hose.

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Update: Engine is currently sitting at 1k miles which I ran Penngrade 30W break in oil during that time. After checking the fluid levels often and following break in procedures, it didn't use ANY oil during the first 1K. I just switched to Mobile1 10w30 (and 1 quart of Penngrade 30W) for the winter months, although it won't see a lot of driving.

As far as performance, I am getting substantially more power than the stock setup, power is smooth throughout the RPM range pulling strong all the way up to 6200 (which I only did once at the 1K mark). The engine is much more responsive and feels overall more efficient producing more power with less throttle input. The Fedonza 12.5 lb flywheel took very little getting used to and it revs noticeably quicker in first and 2nd gear. With a OEM organic clutch disk, I wouldn't hesitate running this setup again. Delta 1500 cams are a little noisy but tolerable, they quiet up substantially when the engine is at operating temp. I plan on readjusting valve clearance at 3k when the oil is changed again, currently running the recommended .006 intake and .009 exhaust valve gap that Delta recommended.

The next step is upgrading the cat and mid pipe section to 2.25" piping to match front to back. Overall, the exhaust tone is very nice and deep running the Stromung axle back. The combination of the Inferno Fab EL headers and Stromung produce a nice low rumble at idle and a fairly aggressive tone at higher RPMs, the cabin is nice and quiet with zero drone. The cat section will be replaced with 2.25" stainless and a single Flowmaster cat followed by a Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator and a stainless 2.25" mid pipe, this should free up the rest of the exhaust without increasing noise substantially.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts