Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been working thru a budget build for a 2000 RS2.5. From the beginning, the goal was to do as much of the build as a DIY project, having successfully completed full EJ25 rebuilds on a few other personal vehicles.

The donor engine is a stock 2.5 that spun a crank and connecting rod bearing. That's where the journey begins. (Pics are a bit out of order)

Factory pistons: factory coating gone and some serious skirt wear
Camera accessory Camera lens Lens Cameras & optics Composite material

Heads fully decked and assembled, prior to porting
Photograph White Light Black Automotive tire

After assembly, I decided to dive in for some porting/polishing
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim

crank assembly
Wood Gas Tool Pattern Gun accessory

FelPro MLS gaskets
Audio equipment Personal protective equipment Font Electric blue Space

Heads decked
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Rim Vehicle Automotive design

Rim Fixture Metal Auto part Automotive tire

pistons after cleanup, bead blasting and Cerakote Microslick bake on coating
Camera accessory Camera lens Cameras & optics Lens Teleconverter

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was under the impression the FelPro gaskets were decent. I have used them on a handful of builds w/o issues, but all have been stock low budget rebuilds. If there a better recommendation for MLS gaskets, I'm open.

·
Premium Member
95 L, 96 OUTBACK
2,926 Posts
If it was me I would have smoothed out the combustion chamber and had a 3 angle valve job done. I know the valve job would be a little more money but a good value as that helps flow a lot on the stock sized valves.

I dont know what transmission you have but a light weight flywheel is a must. Any time I replace a clutch I just put one in I like it so much. Makes driving more fun that is for sure.

I havent had issues with Felpro. They are my go to gasket. My frankenstein 2.2/2.5 did about 75K before it dropped an exhaust valve and the HG was still good even if the head wasnt....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it was me I would have smoothed out the combustion chamber and had a 3 angle valve job done. I know the valve job would be a little more money but a good value as that helps flow a lot on the stock sized valves.

I dont know what transmission you have but a light weight flywheel is a must. Any time I replace a clutch I just put one in I like it so much. Makes driving more fun that is for sure.
A three angle valve grind is something I have been considering, engine is still not assembled so now is the time to do it. I pulled all the valves back out to install new OEM VVT valves, the stock springs had 165K so it seemed like a good idea with the Delta 1500 cams.

Trans is a stock 5 speed manual. I have kicked around the idea of a lightweight flywheel, still unsure how detrimental it would be in stop and go driving.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior

Engine partially assembled, freshly painted and a Cerakote clear applied

Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive side marker light Tire Car

Donor car. All stock 2000 RS2.5. Purchased for under $1k but had a spun main and connecting rod bearing

·
Premium Member
95 L, 96 OUTBACK
2,926 Posts
very detrimental, the people that will say it's not so bad just deal with it.
I daily drive my wagon in stop and go traffic. If you get an organic clutch with a 12-14# FW the difference will take you one drive to get used to, however, if you opt for a <10# FW and ceramic clutch then yes that will be very detrimental.

I think this is why so many people are all over the map on this. There are different parts that make for a vastly different driving experience.

May understanding was the VVT springs are also good for a bump in redline. I would recommend OEM valves. I used aftermarket and the head broke on one and this was a 2.2 head. Not the sodium filled or hollow valved used on the turbo stuff.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I daily drive my wagon in stop and go traffic. If you get an organic clutch with a 12-14# FW the difference will take you one drive to get used to, however, if you opt for a <10# FW and ceramic clutch then yes that will be very detrimental.

I think this is why so many people are all over the map on this. There are different parts that make for a vastly different driving experience.

May understanding was the VVT springs are also good for a bump in redline. I would recommend OEM valves. I used aftermarket and the head broke on one and this was a 2.2 head. Not the sodium filled or hollow valved used on the turbo stuff.

That definitely gives me something to consider. Any recommendations on a LW flywheel, that does not require balancing?

I did plan on running OEM valves, currently looking for a shop that can do a three angle valve grind. I needed to purchase two new OE valves from a unfortunate belt failure incident, luckily it happened at idle and the damage was minimal. This was from running the timing belt guide gap too close, a rookie mistake

I took some advice from silverton and purchased OEM MLS head gaskets. So the current head config will be factory heads, ported (complete), decked (complete), OE valves and seats with three angle valve grind (currently sourcing the valve grind)), and OE VVT valves. Delta 1500 cams and VVT springs are already purchased.

For headers, I have been looking at the Inferno Fab ceramic coated EL headers, but I am unsure what oil pan needed for header fitment. I believe they require an STI oil pan, not sure which year and if I need to purchase a different oil pickup. I would like to figure that out prior to dropping the motor in, even if I wait a bit on purchasing the headers.

·
Premium Member
95 L, 96 OUTBACK
2,926 Posts
I have used Exedy, ACT and no name ebay units. All seemed better balanced then the OEM flywheel. Idle always seems smoother with a LWFW which is I dont understand why. Energy from each power stroke has less weight to store into and smooth out.

I have never had a LWFW balanced before install.

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
1,985 Posts
I've had 1 clutch+flywheel balanced together, it is butter smooth. It's subtle but I can notice a difference.

I don't think you have to balance those, I've probably installed 20 clutch & flywheels over the years and they all work without balancing. But my RS's drivetrain is noticeably smoother than the non balanced ones (like in my Baja or SS)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have used Exedy, ACT and no name ebay units. All seemed better balanced then the OEM flywheel. Idle always seems smoother with a LWFW which is I dont understand why. Energy from each power stroke has less weight to store into and smooth out.

I have never had a LWFW balanced before install.
Interesting, and good input. I was searching this site and like so many topics about mods, there is a good deal of conflicting info and varying opinions. I believe it was the Fidenza LWFW I was looking at that specifically said that they recommend getting it balanced. Maybe they were referring to the entire crank.flywheel assembly?

I am learning a lot on this build, all my personal and professional experience with Subaru vehicles over the years has been limited to stock. There is a lot to learn about the aftermarket performance side of things.

·
Premium Member
95 L, 96 OUTBACK
2,926 Posts
I havent used a Fidenza. That is aluminum with a steel wear surface. All the other wheels I have used are solid forged steel.

So I would hope that if you received a new Fidenza wheel the friction surface is installed and the wheel balance but maybe not?

Mike- When you got your FW and clutch balanced, did they say how much was needed to balance it?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I just purchased a Fidanza 12.5 lb flywheel new for $240 shipped. I have a new OE organic clutch disk and a new OE (Exedy) pressure plate. The original clutch assembly was warped and hopped quite a bit before the clutch engaged.

The Fidanza looked like a good value, the cheaper Ebay lightweight units have some mixed reviews and are only $100 less than what I paid for the Fidanza.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wondrous!
It was my choice of font, not as much of an egregious violation as CAPS LOCK :giggle:

Update: Fidanza flywheel arrived. I priced a 3 angle valve grind and decided to skip it around $350-450. I did replace all of the intake and exhaust valves with OE, exhaust valves were pitted .and valve stem heads showed a fair amount of contact wear at the rocker contact point.

I was considering allying a coat of Cerakote Microslick to the valve stems, but I don't know what benefit that would make. Finish wear is visible on the original valve stems, so the coating may help reduce friction/wear and free up the valve train a little. The high performance coating thing is a bit of voodoo and there isn't a lot of info on the benefits with the exception of piston skirt coating.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Pretty happy with the end result of the head porting. It started out by removing the casting lines and cleaning up the port to valve seat transition, at which point I decided to remove additional material to increase flow.

At this point, both heads are ported, new valves lapped and installed with new VVT valve springs. Delta 1500 will go in and heads will be installed shortly. I am currently in the process of port matching the intake manifold to the head ports, I'll post a few pics of the process.

Automotive lighting Helmet Human body Jaw Art

Automotive lighting Audio equipment Wood Tints and shades Personal protective equipment

Eye Leg Human body Jaw Sculpture

Water Jaw Petal Liquid Style

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Amber Wood Audio equipment

Nose Human body Jaw Eyelash Art

Automotive lighting Flash photography Wood Gas Astronomical object

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
With the intake mounted to the heads on the bench, a view thru the ports show the intake to head port alignment. It looks very good around the injector, then gets worse. Note that the head intake port opening dimensions were nearly unchanged.
Water Liquid Fluid Drinkware Gas

Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Rim Alloy wheel Cylinder

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

Marker to outline the area on the intake that will be removed.
Automotive tire Helmet Gas Auto part Snout

I

1 - 20 of 28 Posts