Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
840 Posts
I think there will be enough current in the cooling system to keep the coolant flowing against the g forces. Just my speculation.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
832 Posts
KillerB makes a really tiny coolant tank that fits in the stock location. I think that since the coolant system is pressurized, that it's not too affected by g-forces. But I've been wrong before. :)

·
Registered
99 WRB GC V9 Spec C RA recce
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
seems like you guys are correct, my research shows nipple orientation doesn't matter

I've looked into killerB unit, and might eventually go with one, but first I need to see how final line routing will look like, I still need to sort out tank to AOS/radiator/overflow

on a side note, started another project - EPAS column integration!

·
Registered
01 WRX swapped RS Coupe. 01 RS Sedan
309 Posts
I've looked into killerB unit, and might eventually go with one, but first I need to see how final line routing will look like, I still need to sort out tank to AOS/radiator/overflow
I'm planning on using the KillerB v2 header tank.. So far, looks like a nice item.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Got my beloved EXE-TC back from rebuild, the rears were knocking and the oil was in devastating condition

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
They work for me, but doesn't mean they work for everyone

can someone confirm?

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
320 Posts
I can view all images and that's saying a lot - I'm on my work computer which blocks every damn thing. Coilovers look great - never heard of that manufacturer before...I'll have to do a little research!

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I finally had time to start on my new projector retrofit mod
I was originally running 3" FXRs, but during the install I messed up on vertical alignment, and even at the lowest position they were sitting a bit higher than desired. FXRs is quite an extensive retrofit, and while worth it (the light cover is outstanding) it does require more patience and skills than I posses.

I wanted something that bolts into H4 socket to avoid any alignment issues, and my research indicated that G5-R projectors possibly exceeds performance of FXRs, and is a PnP setup. Sweet!
I also went ahead and sourced a set of JDM headlights for the retrofitting purposes, they are cheap here and I didn't care for the reflector being on the wrong side since they were meant to become projector holders.

And as usual, with my luck, turned out that JDM lights with H4 bults (any, not just subaru) have tilted sockets
see how it is off-centered?

what people usually do in these cases is just grind off the inner tab on the centering washer which allows projector rotation for proper orientation, so I did

but what about all the PnP plans and making it self-centering? I didn't feel like messing up another set, plus I am incredibly anal when it comes to my light orientation, so I decided to modify the centering ring by adding a tab in the proper orientation.

I found that the offset angle is 15 degrees in the socket, so that meant I had to find that location on the centering washer, but how....

Luckily, I have a cam degreeing wheel (SPOILER ALERT, you will see it once again later on the build but doing what it's designed to do), so I just put some masking tape on it, marked center and 15 degrees

Then I centered the washer on it (doesn't have to be micron precise) and marked the stop where the new lock needs to be

Then it was a simple process of welding a tab on the marked location, use dremel to give proper shape and size to it, shit I took of too much.... ok, weld on more, dremel again until I nailed it

Once I was happy with the result, I shaved off all extra material making the washer flat and used it as mockup for the second washer

And the final result with the locking nut on, can't really see but the tab is there :)

Front the front it looks parallel, but I will leave final adjustments once I have the car back and will do the final tuning on the car

I also need to figure out how to properly place the rubber washer that goes on the projector where it meets with the headlight housing, as its weirdly shaped with one side thicker than the other (any ideas why or how?), and also that damn locking but is a bitch to tighten... I know a special tool exists, but with shipping to russia it will cost like a diamond ring. Any tips how to tighten that sucker?

·
Registered
2001, Impreza 2.5 RS
39 Posts
Such an amazing and inspiring build! I am definitely following this one with baited breath. Thank you for posting this and taking the time to share your build with all of us!

61 - 71 of 71 Posts