Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
99 WRB GC V9 Spec C RA recce
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
little teaser for the upcoming proper roll bar

cage shop fabricates special attachment style tubing which is waterjet cut, pretty cool

Final version

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
my S204 interior bits showed up

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
car is moving to the body shop where its going to spend a lot of time

in the mean time, more cool bits started showing up

I got my hands on authentic Type R complete roof assembly, goodbye shaky RS moonroof!

·
Registered
2001 SRP RS Coupe, 05 FXT
406 Posts
Some cool stuff! I picked up a Type RA-roof and vent for my car as well, but it's got some dents that will need to be fixed.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Progress of the destruction

I am concerned that the body shop guys went too far with cutting the metal off, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
2001 SRP RS Coupe, 05 FXT
406 Posts
I haven't done it before my self, but seeing other people's builds I'd tend to agree. Not much of a lip there to bond anything to.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Slowly making progress

decided to seam weld the exposed pillars, while I have the chance, and weld in two hidden bars in there

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Current concept

work on front fender began
key issue is that unlike OEM, these new skirts must be molded to the body and can't be detachable
this means that I need to figure out how to install front fenders and go around the bottom mounting point

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
completed this exercise

next step- figure out rear bumper mounts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
For some reason, the opening area for the fuel door was bigger than OEM, so I couldn't reuse my flat fuel door

so we decided to use the OEM opening mechanism and glue it to the new fuel door from the kit, I really hate plastic fuel doors but no other option was present

because non-rusted GC fuel necks with no valve are either rare or cost like an iron bridge (I am running JDM fuel tank with less emissions stuff), I am going to take a fresh looking GD neck, modify upper mounting points, cut it and lengthen it by using fuel resistance hose, welding it doesn't seem like an elegant option and more chances of leaks/smell from micro holes

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
moving to the front end

I cut off the grill that was molded to the bumper, keeping my V6 grill

also working on the foglights mounts so they can be closed with the covers

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
front lip test fitment
looks much better in my opinion, 22b bumper with no lip just loops incomplete

biggest dilemma will be whether to paint it body color, or do a CF wrap

Also my Hella 500 are now hidden behind these!

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
So my OCD was giving me panic attacks, and I was very unhappy with how the door cards turned out
So I found a guy, who knows what he is doing (notice full CF car on the background, all done by him), and we redid my cards - molded the piece from GD donor cards, fined trimmed it, made the plastic control panels sit flush and even integrated stock GC door cards bolt access covers

now to wrap them with leather (temptation to CF wrap them was high, but I managed to stop myself from wasting more money :)

I need to think what to do about the extra buttons, how to get rid of them and make it look clean
any ideas?

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Faced another challenge around fog lights mounts

in order to fit the fog lights covers over hella 500 I had to install them as deep as possible, similar trick that you do on the V5-6 bumpers

this leaves little room for bracket maneuvers

stock bumper has wider opening for a bracket that allows adjustments

so I am torn between options of ditching the hellas for something more compact that would let me run the adjusters, or loose adjustments of the fog lights

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
Car is coming along, rear fenders and side skirts molded on

I also fabbed a new bracket for my FPR, as I am putting vibrant vacuum block on top of the manifold, so the old bracket would no longer work

mounting points are limited, but I picked one on top of the block, which unfortunately is offset from the center, so I had to get creative, plus make it strong enough to support heavy weldon regulator

I also added "basketball ring" bracket on the other side, which supports the feed Y-fitting, I didn't like how it just hang in the air before

it ain't too pretty but it does its job

I also plan to get one of those 90 degree npt male/female adapter so I can rotate the fuel pressure sensor to the side

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
841 Posts
I can't wait to see your engine bay when it's all together!

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
320 Posts
Cool shots of the custom fab work on the body and the engine. Keep it up...lookin forward to seeing the end product!

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
After long consideration, I decided to relocate my coolant expansion tank (again)

It used to sit on the passenger strut tower, but I always hated how messy it was around turbo/intake area, way too many things going on there...

so I decided to mount on the "stock" location on the manifold, this allows me to get rid of the coolant pipe that sits around turbo, I will just run a new hose from the expansion tank drain nipple into the hardline that goes to the water pump

however it was sitting tilted the wrong way due to rotated manifold orientation

10 minutes of spacer fabbing and voila!

I also tried another tank that I have, it has different drain nipple orientation (facing forward the engine unlike the black one that points in between the runners)

however not sure if I like that the drain will essentially be pointing against natural G forces of the car moving forward, need to think about it
what do you guys think?

41 - 60 of 71 Posts