Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
99 WRB GC V9 Spec C RA recce
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Back on the topic

My next big decision is putting ABS back into the car, and finding optimal mounting location for the ABS unit

Mocking different options, can't decide

My fav is #6, but I feel its far from ideal and I need to put it under the MC on the driver's rail - away from turbo heat, and for shorter lines

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
554 Posts
I like #1 and #2, in that order. I'd go with whichever one makes it easier to route the lines. Awesome work, can't wait to see this baby come together! Very interested in the engine, as I've been thinking about a destroker myself...

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Sure, but I am located half way across the world in Moscow, Russia - I could ship, but I have no idea how much it would be

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
More custom stuff

I am running front 5x114 knuckles/hubs due to its superior design and longevity
However in order to run GC suspension, I had to deck the knuckle width for the GC strut to fit over it, and relocate the upper hole

This caused issues for alignment, because while adjusting the eccentric bolt "felt" into the hole

So I had my friend fab me these tabs that were pressed in, and afterwards we had another go with the drill through the desired hole, to shave away extra tab material

·
Registered
2.5RS, STI, BRZ, ZL1 vert, X5D
180 Posts
Option 1 seems to make the most sense to me. Seems to give the most robust mounting and provdes access to all the ports and electrical connector.

·
Registered
2001 SRP RS Coupe, 05 FXT
351 Posts
That looks great. Reminds me of fenders on an e30. Did you add any more material or just work with what is already there?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
yes, we had to add some metal to them

looks like I found my ABS orientation, I see no other way to fit it for the wiring not to be in the way

Now I need to modify the bracket for it

also started to think how to approach the wiring, it came out of RHD 2004 STI..... swapping it to LHD is not going to be fun

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Tracked down a rare Spec C cluster that is marked to 260 km/h

next, will need to find a matching set of Defis

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Was looking into my old log files and found this

Who can guess what's going on on this pic and why?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Honestly I’d delete the ABS al together. You’ll get better pedal feel through a single stage brake booster and no ABS.

I’m also more comfortable with how my non-ABS cars react in the snow. Not necessarily more traction, depending on tyre, but more predictable than the lazy and slow ABS module

·
Registered
95 Impreza L, S13 Coupe
585 Posts
Awesome project so far! Building all those hardlines for the ABS doesn't look like fun, but then again neither does stitch welding a chassis. (y)(y)

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
you'd think working from home would give more time to work on the car... right :rolleyes:

first time in a month I was able to do something, so I used the time to fab the bracket for ABS relocation, since I need it mounted to start working on the harness

work in progress, will round all edges before I paint it

pump has plenty of space for movement on rubber bushing, doesn't touch anything
I am not concerned with brake booster hitting against it, because I have brake MC support bracket preventing it from flexing

overall I am happy with the fitment

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Fine tuning misc dash related installations

1. I patched the extra space in the firewall hole - usually people just cut that tab off the dash, I took a different route and decided to keep it because it keeps the center of the dash solid steady

2. finished glove box installation, this vent usually is taken off, but if you cut it like this, it works fine with the glovebox

I might patch it off later, so the air flow is directed down and is not heating my glovebox

3. I decided to keep my GC airbag module because:
  • my JDM Spec C harness didn't come with one
  • I don't have extra airbags and harness connectors fit in the old module, so no need to cancel our missing airbags
This was a bit challenging because it would not fit with the new GD dash beam. So I just cut the brackets on the back of it, mounted on front two bolts and reused the cut pieces to create new brackets that would line with the stock mount tabs - this was also an opportunity to finally dremel out the holes on the dash beam so they would align, and press them against the OEM GC tabs along with the airbag module. In most of the dash swaps I have seen, this step is usually neglected, but I am too anal to pass on such opportunity :LOL:

So, few welds after.... I got everything in place

I made sure the welds were strong enough, and let it cool down before taking it off
after that, few more welds, and it was done

Back to assembly

and mounted in place

I made sure the cig lighter/pocket don't interfere with it

I need to see if I can replace the pocket with my DEFI controller, I am running the older Link V2 which is long, so not sure if there will be enough clearance

21 - 36 of 36 Posts