Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Impreza RS Rally Blue
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing my daily driver (91 nissan sentra) with something else. I found 2 impreza OBS wagon's that are rebuildable's. This wouldn't be my first rebuild of a car so I know what I'm getting into. Both have about the same damage, and I have a front bumper already from when I upgraded to the new style bumper cover on my RS. But I was hoping somebody could tell me the major differences in the MY97 and MY99 OBS, both are 2.2l with 5spd transmission

Thanks
Kyle

·
Registered
123 Posts
MAF and MAP

i have a 97 obs, and i have the maf, and it severely limits the cai options

the 99 should be map
they all have like 142 or so hp, except the 96, which wasn't really an obs... it only has around 135 hp, but it has rear disc brakes

but i believe that the 96 fronts are smaller however

the grille is different on just about every year of obs
and the 97 have glass headlight lenses, and the 99 will have the clear plastic ones...

i think that that's all the differences
oh and the outback badge on the 97 is a vinyl sticker, and it's actually a badge on the 99

·
Registered
1998 Impreza RS Rally Blue
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks NomadTW, you the guy I saw at sunoco in johnstown a couple weeks ago? You have a green OBS right?

Kyle

·
at apex, on throttle
'99 RS, '02 Legacy, '10 'beca
1,184 Posts
Please do not listen to the prior post about the MAF/MAP

MY97 or MY99 are both MAF equipped cars, however the MY98 and older are a wire MAF verses the MY99 Film MAF.

No air flow sensor will limit your cold air intake options if you're capable to build your own to fit.

The MY99 will have the nicer updated interior (I have a '97, my sister has a '99 if that matters) and some other refinements.

The MY99 is your best shot as with the updated interior you've got more options for gauge clusters, shift boots, etc rather then like my self I got a leather shift boot and had to make a custom trim peice for it to look right. It turned out nice, but cost more than just picking up a newer boot or a stock Impreza boot and dropping it in.

Contray to popluar opinion the MY99 MAF are superior in adjustments and percise in A/F thanks to the MAF and with the recall fix for them, there is no reason to not get one.

Thanks - Jon

1 - 4 of 4 Posts