Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
MY00 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS BRP
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, instead of whoring around hijacking other thread. I'll start up a new one. and JZ, don't whore in here. :lol: Most of the threads you and I whore in are WAY off topic now. :lol: Lets not do the same. :)

The reason this is going to be a LONG project because I am cheap and I don't have the money like others do. So I have to wait and collect CHEAP parts. I now have the following...

THE LIST:
02 WRX Turbo
02 WRX TMIC
?? Aftermarket cat-back exhaust

In Progress:
Hood with scoop: One guy is selling $565 shipped new CF hood. The other guys MIGHT sell or trade his stock MBP WRX hood with me.

I know there is a LONG list to go. But lets get real and take one step at a time. :)

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i am too lazy to take off my skid plate and take some pics of the exhaust system. I need up/down pipes that would fit the stock exhaust manifold.

I think the current and the next step would be finish looking/getting the up/down/ic pipes and hood. after that, the misc. stuff like oil pan, mic hoses, etc...

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
If you truly are cheap, I would definately hold out for a cheap wrx hood. People regularly sell theirs when they get aftermarket cf hoods. That's what I did. I got a WRX hood for $100. I may upgrade to cf but not for another 6-8months.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
$100 :eek: damn you! that's cheap!! what color is it? I still have a long way to finish collecting the parts. I don't "NEED" a hood at the moment. Turbo and IC are not in yet. And won't be in until I have everything. :) So I MIGHT wait for you. :) who knows! Where are you located at? Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
It's a white hood but I had it painted black. I'm in San Diego. Definately don't wait around for me (but if you haven't found one when I do upgrade, I'll be happy to sell it).

·
Registered
1994 L Wagon Grey
517 Posts
I hope you don't mind me chimming in. I was doing a super cheap turbo project but changed my mind about a week before install :D :stupid: heehee

Neways, from my research I would like to show you a list of what I did. mabye it will help you out.

Timing and Knock retard: J/S v2 (about 500)
Exaust...
Up and down: Custom (@ About 600 bucks)
Stock WRX cat back: (300(bought 10 months ago)
Fuel...
Injectors: RC custom 370cc (about 500)
various fuel lines for P-Rails (about 100 bucks)
Rex turbo (250ish)
Custom FMIC (about 1000 with custom piping)

So it was almost 3000 and I had a bolt on kit that could ru 6psi with out any issues.

But then I found money and went a diffrent way. I hope my rambelings help at all.
Good luck and it is good to see other 02rs's taking the step to FI :cool:
-Neal

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the info Neal! I've been lucky to have the turbo, IC, and cat-back for FREE! :D So that saved me a good chunk! I could get more free parts here and there. But don't know how much longer I have to wait. I could have them in two months. Or I'll never have them :( Don't know. The good thing is that I am not in a rush. Simply i am poor :(, I can't rush even if I want to. :lol:

·
Registered
1994 L Wagon Grey
517 Posts
yeah, it took me 9 months to collect all my parts. then one day, I was like. hey, why don't i build a motor and go high boost? So now I am waiting even longer. :checkit:

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
damn! I got suckered! oh well, it's free anyway... :( the exhaust i have is not 3", it's just wrx midpipe 2 1/4 with some after market axle back. :( but the axle back is 2 1/4 also. But this is good for RS NA correct? eh, still better with stock RS midpipe and axle back if i do go turbo... :D

Question is, will this midpipe fit? The last time i check the flang won't fit and bolt pattern is too wide on this... True?

·
Registered
1999 RS Coupe Aspen White
313 Posts
the midpipe will fit if you get a wrx downpipe

You can get the stock one for now.

What you have remaining for hardware is:

---- J & S Safeguard
---- Up-pipe (Perrin Up-pipe, 321 SS) 250 bucks
---- WRX Downpipe 80 bucks
---- WRX Crossmember 200 bucks New
---- WRX Front Sway Bar 50 bucks used
---- WRX Turbo Manifolds 120 used
---- RC Engineering 440 with parallel stock fuel lines OR
RC Eng 550's with aftermarket rails
---- Stainless steel braided lines and fittings -- about 150 bucks

There's a start for you...hope this helps.

Kevin

·
Registered
10 Posts
Leo, u go to track, right?
maybe u should look for some sponsors.
just my opinion....
anyway, good luck to your collection.

another Leo w/ EJ251 ;)

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Leo,
Yeah, I do go to track. but most autox and now rallyx :D. And as much road rally as possible. Since these are not AS BIG as them high speed track racing. it's hard. BUT I've already gotten some kind of sponsorship. I get ALL the help I need when it comes to mechanical stuff. :)

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: No Problem..

kevin,
So you are building your own turbo kit also? what year and model do you have? Thanks again for all the info... time to hit the junk yard soon! :D

Leo
latinskllz said:
e-mail me if you need more help....i'm almost there..

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
if I get a custom uppipe and stock turbo manifold and stock downpipe. do I still need the crossmember? or is there not enough space for both the up and down pipes?

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
okay, i just found a set of stock intake for $25 shipped! :D

for plumping, i just need turbo manifold, up and down pipes!

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
now i know stock wrx turbo would be too small for the 2.5L due to air flow. But I most likely will be running low boost due to the compression ratio. I am going to get a MBC and make it runing around 4 psi.

with all that, is it possible to run without an IC? assuming i have an engine management system. I ask, because I don't know how long it would take for me to find a good deal on the hood. and i know ludespeed's stage I has no IC.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
is $50 - shipped for a stock downpipe reasonable? with 12k miles on it? I saw someone selling it... I most like would have to get a custom uppipe. Unless I get the wrx crossmember. but that would be more money than getting a custom uppipe...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts