Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
00 RSTi, 90 Miata, 71 240z
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #81 (Edited)
The only reason I didn’t run it over my head is because the car will really only be used with a co-driver, which will be my wife. Gives me a reason to say the cage was designed to be safer for her lol.

·
95 Coupe, 95 Sedan & 95 Wagon
12,177 Posts
We are allowed to go to the front struts now? When I build the sedan, it was still a no-mo I thought? Maybe you have different rules over there.

I do plan to on my coupe I am doing now though, since that will not be a rally car. NASA will let me connect them.

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,169 Posts
The only reason I didn’t run it over my head is because the car will really only be used with a co-driver, which will be my wife. Gives me a reason to say the cage was designed to be safer for her lol.
All the better reason then. Mine is backwards too although they still pass tech regardless.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
We are allowed to go to the front struts now? When I build the sedan, it was still a no-mo I thought? Maybe you have different rules over there.

I do plan to on my coupe I am doing now though, since that will not be a rally car. NASA will let me connect them.

As far as I can tell they're allowed, I've seen quite a few rally cars with these as well. The picture I included has the lines from the FIA 253 rules, which ARA, NASA and RA follow for the majority of their cage rules and say they allow the optional bars from 253-25 through 253-33, unless I'm reading it wrong.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
All the better reason then. Mine is backwards too although they still pass tech regardless.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Yeah she thinks so too haha. I know for FD and SCCA road racing rules it's all required to be above the driver's head and they usually just run a single diagonal.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
So I haven't updated this in a long time and I've got a lot of photos I've got to go through and updates to post, but I managed to get the car done in time for the first stage rally.

We managed to finish the rally, but it was rough near the end. The first five stages were great and the car ran amazing, but on the 6th stage something happened and the car would run extremely lean under throttle above 10% and I severed a brake line which caused me to lose all brakes for half of the 10 mile stage.
Made it back to service and rigged the brake line, but couldn't figure out what was up with the lean issue and we didn't want to DNF so we just planned on driving really slow for the three remaining stages.
The last stage we lost brakes again due to the "rig" (which was crimping the brake line before the cut) but we were so slow it didn't matter much...

Anyway we managed to complete the stage and limped it back to the finish ceremony and we got 12th overall even with four slow stages, mostly due to the really rough stages from weather and a lot of DNFs out of the 40+ cars

My wife and I had a lot of fun and it was definitely worth it and can't wait to fix the car to break it again haha

·
Registered
2000 RS gray/silver
86 Posts
Thats so badass man! i'm still watching your build series on youtube!!
I think a video doing an assessment of the damage would be interesting.
Like those gravel stages and see what got damaged as far as big rock gouges, etc.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Finally decided to do some sort of an update of all the older progress on the car, been crazy busy with work so not much of a chance to work on the car or document any of it.

So after last cage update came the start on the door/sill bars

I (obviously) decided to go with the two bent bars rather than the typical X configuration with one continuous bar and two sectioned bars. I read a lot of horror stories of safety concerns in a bad side impact, which was the main factor.

Then the A pillar reinforcement bars.

After driving/racing the car I definitely should have bent the bars slightly outward to provide more room in the cabin, they also made installing the dash a huge pain being completely straight.

Then came the door bar gussets, I went with one large gusset design and it's definitely different looking :blol:

They were fun to make but I'm not sure how I feel about the esthetics, but eh they work

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
I started on knocking out all the other required gussets after that, which were much easier with just the simple Taco design.

and then knocked out additional gussets that aren't required but are a plus to the cage build.

A pillar

The A pillar bars are very close to the body and welded to the frame in a few spots so the gussets had to be small to fit in the tight area.

B pillar

I think these turned out alright. I kinda figured out proper MIG settings to weld the 18ga to the .095 tubing to get the weld to sit a little flatter.

and somewhere between all of that I made the harness bars.

I went back and forth on design for these and made a couple of different types.

but ended up going with the normal split harness bar style welded between the X in the Main Hoop

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Patched the sunroof hole with some sheet metal

It's a little rough and could use some filler and blocking if I ever paint the car, but for now it's good.

Then right after patching it and welding it back on.. I cut a large hole in it for the roof vent.

and a bunch of little stuff happened but next thing I decided to photograph was after painting the cage.

It came out pretty poorly, and was a nightmare to do. I think if I do it again it will be brush on paint haha.

I've got a lot more pictures to do through to get the rest of it on here, but that's the end of the cage work. The rest was rebuilding the engine and getting the car put back together.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Once again been a very long time since I updated this but work on the car has still been continuing when I have some free time.
After fixing all the many broken things from the Sandblast Rally in March, which took about four months, we were able to get it back into Rally shape to run STPR in Wellsboro, PA.

Some of the stuff I was able to improve on since the last rally's damage to try and preserve the car a little.
Used some UHMW sheets to protect the fuel tank/underside of the car

I decided to get away from the stock lateral links too, I kept running into issues of losing the alignment after a few bumps. Plus, with the flex with the rubber bushings makes it kind of loose feeling in the rear end.

The heims made the alignment take a bit longer for sure, but the car feels much more stable now with the predictable alignment of about 1/8th" toe in.
Even with no sways the can is extremely stable at speed on the dirt now!

Since STPR has quite a few night stages, I had to come up with something to do for lighting. Conveniently a company reached out about sending some LED lightbars out right around that time and I incorporated them into the light bar with the Diode Dynamics light I bought earlier.

Compared to the massive lightbar I had on the car before the lighting is amazing, which is mostly due to the diode dynamics light..
I plan on replacing the free lights with the much more efficient light bars from diode dynamics later on.

and that pretty much led us into the weekend before the rally so we packed up and got everything ready for the 12 hour trip to Wellsboro.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #95 (Edited)
Once we got there we knocked out a little bit of Recce and got the car ready for the rally to start on Friday morning.

We definitely sent the rental Sentra on the very rough Waste Management stages during recce..

Friday came and we started 65 of 72 haha

SS1 Lebo I went well, started off slowly to try and get comfortable and then had a little moment with a slight off into an embankment. The car felt fine though so we continued on

Here's a video of Lebo I

After that on SS2 we made it about ten miles in when we came up on a red cross. We stopped and were able to help them out and after about forty minutes the Ambulance arrived and picked him up.

We had to transit the rest of the stage and all of SS3 back to service

Then we went on to the rough waste management stages, which just turned into driving pretty slow in order to save the car. We lost a lot of time on the four runs of these but it was worth it since I don't have a bunch of stuff to fix now.

We did rip a hole in the floor and it resulted in a very large amount of muddy water coming into the car while going sideways through a puddle, effectively soaking my wife and I.

Then another service and on to the repeat stages for SS5 SS6 SS7

Then service to prepare for SS8, the full 8 mile run of waste management followed by SS9 and SS10 at night

We lost a wheel well liner buuuut we had gorilla tape

On Stage 8 we hit a huge rock with the exhaust and it ended up tearing the merge collector and ripping the exhaust in half right behind the front o2 sensor. So the car ran like crap and was extremely loud.

I couldn't hear my wife calling the notes over the next two stages so we had to go pretty slow since it was night can't hear anything.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
The evening of Friday was spent fixing the exhaust until about 2 am and with a new o2 sensor in there the car was running great for day 2.

On to day two we hit SS11 Asaph, it was a pretty fun stage and we got some decent photos from the hairpin on the bridge

Then SS12 got canceled due to another red cross and we had to transit SS13 as well

On SS14 we we going along pretty good and started catching up to the car in front of us and they ended up crashing with us around 30 seconds behind them.

We had a pretty close call with them over a long right turn but we avoided them luckily

and then finally we finished that stage and headed back to service for our final check up. Almost as soon we pulled into the service area, which was a large area of very deep mud, the exhaust fell apart and scooped a bunch of mud...

We put it back together but then on stage 15 the cat got clogged from the mud since we didn't clean it fully.
We pretty much had no power and hit the jump as fast as possibly but we couldn't get anything past 60 with the exhaust clog.

still managed to get a little bit of air but really wanted to see how much we could get.. :crazy:

Anyway that's pretty much it, we finished 35th overall and like 7th in class. So pretty much ran in the back of the pack for most of it, but we did manage to start moving pretty quick on the forest stages.

81 - 97 of 97 Posts