Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
00 RSTi, 90 Miata, 71 240z
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #63 (Edited)
I managed to get the front lateral bars done.

These were pretty tricky and the first one took two attempts, they came out alright. Definitely takes some practice with making them to get the fitment spot on.

Finally got my seats in, I ordered Bimarco Grip seats since they were the cheapest with Halo headrests and FIA rating, but after waiting seven months the company had no idea where they were so I order these.

So far I like them a lot and they're pretty comfortable, but I'll see once I actually mount them and can drive the car.

I got all the rocker boxes done for the cage and they're tacked into place now

And then I moved on to plating the rear strut towers and making the mounting points for cage to tie into.

Thinking about it after the fact I should have made them wider so I could extend them to where the strut tower meats the sheet metal on the side of the car.

and then today I made the windshield bar and got everything tacked in so I can get the roof bars done tomorrow.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Saw your strut mounts. You are right on the stitch welding. Actually stronger and less chance of you just ripping them out now.

Good progress
Yeah I'm having a lot of 'figuring out how to do it better on the next build' moments, lol, slowly coming along thought

·
Registered
2001 RS 2.5 sedan- SOLD
47 Posts
just started following your videos when I randomly found your channel last week. Keep up the amazing work man. Great channel so far man

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #69 (Edited)
Looks great so far!
Thanks, I go back to your build quite regularly for references haha

just started following your videos when I randomly found your channel last week. Keep up the amazing work man. Great channel so far man

Thanks man!

Nice, I want a cage so bad but don't have a welder and am unsure of what racing I will see in the future.

Yeah if you're not sure what you want to do with it yet it would be best to wait for sure, plus full cages in a car on the street with out harnesses and HNR devices would be really sketchy

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Progress is still slowing moving along

Got the Roof Bars in and notched up while showing my wife how to bend the tubes

These went pretty smooth in comparison to the windshield bar, so maybe I'm actually figuring out how to measure it all correctly. :_sure:

Watching her try to muscle the tube bender was definitely amusing but she wanted to keep doing it.

Then I picked up a beater tow rig: an 01 24v Cummins

Now if I actually finish the car I can take it a few events. I'm still planning on Sandblast in March, we'll see though.

Then made the optional supports from main hoop to the front lateral bars

annnnd finally I pulled the roof off so I'll be able to weld it all a little easier, plus I need to patch the sun roof

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
After I got all those bars done I pulled all the bars out to remove the millscale/surface rust. I think next time I'll go with CDS instead of DOM to save some time on prep.

While they were out I started on the main hoop support bars

and I modified my rear plinth boxes a little so they would take up more surface area, since I wasn't happy with how the cage sat on them.

I made it more into an L piece for the top so it can sit more on the rear bench and not just the small section of rocker panel.

and while starting on tacking everything in last night I managed to do this like an idiot....

I got lazy while quickly sharpening my tungsten for the last tack after I dipped it. Instead of walking to the normal sharpener with my drill, I decided to try my angle grinder since I could reach it while still in the car..

After a quick ER trip I can safety say I won't be doing that again..

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
What no new video!? Lol jk
There's a few new ones out since I last posted in the thread, I just forgot to throw them in with the update.

What? No blood?

Re-do!

Lol I was really surprised by the lack of blood when I pulled it out of my hand and it was in there about an inch.

I have a habit of stabbing myself with the filler right after stopping a weld, 99.9% it sears the hole shut

Haha I do that all the time too. Too many pairs of pants with small holes in them from the filler burning through.

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,172 Posts
Cage is looking good so far! Our cages are almost twins so far. Are making the car right hand drive?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Cage is looking good so far! Our cages are almost twins so far. Are making the car right hand drive?
Sweet! I'm planning on keeping it LHD, I did have everything to do the RHD swap but I ended up getting rid of all of that.
There's a few new ones out since I last posted in the thread, I just forgot to throw them in with the update.

I already watched them all... ?

Haha my bad, thanks for watching them!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #79 (Edited)
Since I'm pretty bad about keeping this updated as I move along, here's another large update over the last week or so.

Once the main hoop support bars were done I started on the rear bars, I managed to knock all six out in one night. I must have gotten lucky with all the measurements..

I'm kind of stupid when it comes to gravity and welding..

Then I started on the optional front windshield reinforcement bars

They came out pretty good on the first try which is always nice.
I realized I needed to drop the cage one more time to weld those in though.
So, I dropped the cage again and welded the rear stays on and the windshield bars into place and put it back into place.

Then came the sill bars.

Those were probably the easiest bars so far, simple 90 degree notches and no bends, what's not to love.

And since I can't really use my stock dashbar since I wanted to tuck the front laterals up so far I started on one.

I roughly followed the same pattern as the stock bar and it sits at the same height, I can still get the stock heater core in and out without an issue and the blower motor.
The dash seems like it will fit without too much of an issue but I'll see about that later on.

aaand thenn

I started on the optional front intrusion bar/strut tower tie in

These were pretty crappy to make fit right and get them fully welded into place and in a position where I can still use the blower box without too much trimming.

That's a pretty crappy picture but they tuck nicely against the side of the car and meet the center of the strut tower.

and then today, I spent about ten hours welding all the bars in.

Every bar in there is fully welded into place and to the cage boxes.
The only thing left are the door bars, a pillar supports, harness bars, and gussets for the cage to be complete.

I also primed the top of the cage/ sides that will be almost impossible to get at once it's in place with some weld through primer. Hopefully that can help with surface rust on this thing.

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,172 Posts
The only reason I asked was you technically installed your main hoop X in reverse. Generally the long part of the X supports the portion above the driver's head rather than the passenger.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

61 - 80 of 97 Posts