Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a simple bolt on turbo kit with a street clutch and lightened flywheel on my '01 2.5. I dropped the clutch at 5000 RPM's and messed it up real bad. Ever since it has been making this amazingly horrid loud whinning like noise.

I took it to a mechanic since i know absolutly nothing about transmissions. I concentrated too hard on the engine and never really thought about the tranny. he told me the tranny was completly ruined and all he did was drive it. He told me I should buy another 2.5 tranny and rebuild it to be stronger (I don't see why i couldn't just rebuild mine).

I heard that STI makes a complete 6 speed tranny for 2.5's but maybe its just a rumor. If there is some type of tranny that is built tough then I would aprreciate it if someone told me how i can get a hold of it. Any advice someone can give me I would really appreciate.

·
Premium Member
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
I won't pretend to know how to help, since my tech knowledge is really in its comparitive infancy. :) I can certainly point you to Dave and the folks at www.rallispec.com however. Rallispec, in NJ, has been around forever, they're wonderfully knowledgeable, and they also sell several transmission options.

One is the STi six-speed. Another is the STi Type-RA five-speed from the GC STi. A third is a hardened synchro/gearset. I personally think that'd be the best choice with what mods you have, and probably the least expensive. But again, talk to them!

Drop me an Email if you need anything.

-S2-

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
just kind of expanding on what Siper2 said, there is a STi 6MT in the GD STi. it is quite strong and supposedly good for upwards of 400bhp (obviously its reliable at 300bhp as that is what the US STi and PPP and S202 are all making). however, there is a catch. well, two really. its expensive. very expensive. but if you can afford it there is a second catch. it does not directly fit the GC chassis. it can however be made to fit with a little hammer on tranny tunnel loving. the easiest would be to get one of the hardened, close ratio boxes out of a GC RA. that's going to have to be imported from japan. also pricey but it should be pretty much a direct replacement, though you may need the turbo crossmember, i don't know. or you could get a junkyard tranny from a RS or Legacy and stop doing 5k clutch drops.

·
Registered
98 2.5RS Rally Blue Pearl
396 Posts
Good advice and info here.

Also, when you get the new tranny, no matter which route you decide, you really need to SLIP THE CLUTCH when you drive aggressively.

A stronger tranny MIGHT survive clutch drops but guaranteed the rear diff or halfshafts will be the next parts you will be replacing.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So a different gear box is all i need or is it more complex than that? (once again my knowledge on transmissions is terrible)

Trust me Albert I wont be dumpin the clutch like that again. I was tryin to get the tires to spin out cause I "thought" I was in a small puddle but apparently 2 of my tires were on dry land when i dropped it.

·
Registered
98 2.5RS Rally Blue Pearl
396 Posts
A synchro gear set is much better for daily driving than a "double-clutching" dog-gear set. It's pretty much a beefier set of what you currently have.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
my boyfriend has a EJ20T in his 95 Impreza (conversion obviously)rally car...

he ran the EJ20 on the stock 1.8 Tranny until it went... and that didnt take long. what many miss is sure you can add more power to your engine, but your tranny will not be able to keep up in the long run...

anyway point is...
he swapped in an STi gear set... BEEFIER... much better suited to the levels the car is at now. cost was $1200 built, installed.... this is in a full on SCCA Rally car... and it has taken a beating yet the STi Gear box is still solid as ever.

if you're considering your options... look around for an Sti gear set.. and start with Rallispec as you were recommended.

good luck
Jamie www.subiegalracing.com

·
Registered
613 Posts
yeeeeeeeah

a dogbox trans is a blast in traffic. it is very satisfying to snick gears without clashing. then there is the frenzied technique which is lightning fast, even compared to an auto (paddleshifters, baaah!) getting the timing right is like a fretless stringed instrument. you just know where to place your fingers
do not fear the dogbox.....

·
Registered
2004 Forester STI, 08 SpecB
144 Posts
Oh yeah!
Tons of fun.

Shuts most domestic drivers right up when they hear you engage first gear from a block away :biglaugh:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts