Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
2001 impreza rs
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I finally got my intake manifold back from Grimmspeed. I payed a total of $200 with shipping to have it ported and polished. While on the phone to them, they said they port and polish and gasket match. “we use special tools that allow us to remove material form the bends in the manifold. This couldn’t be farther from the truth. Only the bottom portion of the manifold was P&P, and it was not gasket matched. Where the throttle body sits was untouched as well. It seems to me that their special tools are nothing more that a P&P kit form summit. The job they performed would take me about three hours and cost me 50 bucks in tools. On top of all this disappointment the manifold was not cleaned. A full can of carb choke cleaner was used to remove the aluminum shavings. I believe the reason why they have no flow bench numbers is because there would be no to minimal difference. My advise to all that read this message is do not have Grimmspeed P&P your manifold. Do it yourself and save money time and the headache. I took pics of the manifold, unfortunately you need a lipstick camera to get a good shot.

· Registered
1996 Impreza L/WRX swap
994 Posts
First off i'd like to say that this customer has never once contacted us about any issues what-so-ever. I would have truly appreciated it if you would have contacted us directly first before creating a thread about it.

Your gains are coming from smoothing out the bends in the intake manifold runners and better port matching the exit of the intake runner to the intake of the engine head port. You do not, i repeat, you do not want to gasket match a intake manifold runner exit, this would only creat a much bigger restriction to flow. What you want, and what we do is, better match the runner exit to the head intake port. If you'd like, i can have one of our porters chime in here as well..just lmk.

I assure these RS manifold take alot of skill from the porter to complete(more than wrx/sti manifolds) and you'd need alot more than $50 in supplies to do the same work we do.

Again i apologize for this and i assure you that if you would have contacted us at all we would have been more then happy to work with you(like we do with all of our customers).

Justin

· Registered
17,115 Posts
For the record, I loved the PnP work I received. The customer service was fantastic and Justin worked hard to rectify the issue I had. The communication was flawless and the manifold came back so clean I would eat off it. Overall, I was very satisfied with my purchase. :)

· Registered
98 RS Now with more interior!
11,329 Posts
Your gains are coming from smoothing out the bends in the intake manifold runners and better port matching the exit of the intake runner to the intake of the engine head port. You do not, i repeat, you do not want to gasket match a intake manifold runner exit, this would only creat a much bigger restriction to flow. What you want, and what we do is, better match
Completely agree. That goes for just about all porting. From what I see in the pics, the porting was done quite nicely. It would have been nice for them to clean it about, but if you send any intake manifold to shop that does extrude honing, many don't clean it either unfortunately.

· Registered
2001 impreza rs
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
there would have been no difference if i contacted the vendor first. i would not have wanted to spend another $50 shipping out the manifold again. if it is bad to gasket match the ports, then why did you say that you do on the phone. the purpose of this message it to inform others that it is not worth the money to have grimmspeed p&p, when you can easily do it yourself. this is my opinion, and my opinion only. im not trying to ruffle feathers here only inform. on a positive note. i like the spacers. they fit well and brought my intake temps down by 35 deg.

· Premium Member
2002 2.5 RS-T
3,814 Posts
Your gains are coming from smoothing out the bends in the intake manifold runners and better port matching the exit of the intake runner to the intake of the engine head port. You do not, i repeat, you do not want to gasket match a intake manifold runner exit, this would only creat a much bigger restriction to flow. What you want, and what we do is, better match the runner exit to the head intake port. If you'd like, i can have one of our porters chime in here as well..just lmk.

I assure these RS manifold take alot of skill from the porter to complete(more than wrx/sti manifolds) and you'd need alot more than $50 in supplies to do the same work we do.

· Registered
1996 Impreza L/WRX swap
994 Posts
dsniner-

My name is Matt and I am the one who personally worked on your manifold. I just want to get a couple points across, they are more or less informational when it comes to porting and polishing but none the less. I am sorry that you where told that your intake manifold would be gasket matched, this should only be done in a very few certian instances. A.) if the intake side of your heads were ported to match the gasket already. B.) if the existing OEM intake port profile is larger than the OEM gasket which is not common and I cannot think of any instances off hand where this applies.

The reason we or any porter for that matter would most likely not do this is because you increase the step that the intake charge is hitting as it enters the head. That would create more turbulence in that area. In a perfect world the intake, gasket, and head port profile will match up as perfect as possible, but this can only be acheived through headwork aswell.

As far as what was ported on your manifold, we can only do line of site porting, so 90% of what you can see I would say can be reached. Due to the tools we use and the diamiter of the tool used this will restric us in a very few limited places. I assure you the tools I use are not a kit from summit racing. I would describe more but there are certian things we use that maybe not every other shop uses.

As far as the center of the manifold, there have not been any signifigant gains from porting this area. As far as the cleaning aspec of the manifold I appologize for that, I personally do not clean the manifolds but i know we will be taking every step possible to return the item to you as clean as possible.

A couple informational things quickly, to port the manifold completely throughout, the manifold would have to be cut and welded. At that point the costs would skyrocket and you would want to look at purchasing a box/mandrel style manifold. Trust me I wish I had a little porting gnome I could send inside to reach the areas our tools cannot. Also while on the topic I just finished a customers manifold and I DID gasket match since the customer specified that they have had head work done and the head intake ports where matched to the OEM gasket. Feel free to contact us and if you would personally like to speak with me I would be more than happy to answer any questions I have not so far.

Sorry for the poor grammar and run on sentences.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.