Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
95 GC 371hp/355tq ej25 1.5xtr
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am going auto crossing this sunday (FCSCC... http://www.fcscc.com/ ) and i want to get some pointers. my first time was with my 00 legacy. there are 2 videos at the bottom... http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2640573 . this will be my first time driving a 5sp for auto-x. and i have some questions... i am not really planning on launching...hard. but can i downshift into first if i need to? just around town its hard to even get it in gear. if not lets say i go through a turn in 2nd... can i push the clutch in and rev it, lets say to like 4k and just let out the clutch fast? if you dont mind can you just give me any tips/pointers? especially with driving a 5sp for auto-x.... like what do to and what not to do

thanks

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
For the first couple runs, I would launch it moderately, get it into 2nd and leave it. Don't clutch in through the turns as you're bound to get confused or at the very least, behind the car/course. If you must go to 1st, don't rush it. A big blip on the throttle between gears will help somewhat....but it is nowhere near smooth....or easy on the trans.

·
Banned
4,588 Posts
You can down shift to first gear if you have fresh synthetic fluids in the transmission. I often down shift to first during an autocross. It is best to heal toe to get the revs to match. Only tips I have for you is to look ahead and try to keep your foot on throttle as much as possible. If you think you need to brake try letting your foot off the gas and let it coast. Usually in slaloms I just go full throttle and steer through them...depending on how far out the slaloms are spacedout.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
whats a good tire pressure to start with. i have summer tires 205/55/16's. whiteline RSB (stiffest setting) and front strut bar.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Put a couple dots of white shoe polish on the edges of the tires to see how far they wear. 10psi over stock is a good starting point.

·
Banned
4,588 Posts
On my Azenis rt-615's i run 39psi front and 44-46psi rear. I have more in the rear so I can get my back end to rotate.

·
wood grain grippin'
v2 STi wagon
3,399 Posts
On my Azenis rt-615's i run 39psi front and 44-46psi rear. I have more in the rear so I can get my back end to rotate.
holy crap, you know what? I've always been running higher in the front than in the back. door sticker says 32/29, and so i've always run with the front tires ~3 more psi than the rears. recently the recipe is 38F/36R.

I used to really play with tire pressures a while ago, but now I never do. I wonder what happened? Maybe I'm trying to get everything out of my driving and not making the car work with me. hmm

i know that now i'm thinking out loud.

Storm, I know you're on R-comps. What kind of tire pressures do you run?

Brett

·
The Thread Stopper
11 WRX, Matte black
5,783 Posts
I'd try to stay out of first gear as much as possible. A rule I follow is: slow in to turns, fast out of them. That of course is dependent on the turn.

·
wood grain grippin'
v2 STi wagon
3,399 Posts
I can't think of any situation in an autox where my run would benefit from a shift into 1st gear. But that's on my N/A car, there's enough touque down low for 2nd gear to work for me; a 2-1-2 shift would just take too much time.

as far as the "slow in, fast out" rule - that's one everyone should follow!

·
Registered
Non-RS
1,294 Posts
but can i downshift into first if i need to? just around town its hard to even get it in gear. if not lets say i go through a turn in 2nd... can i push the clutch in and rev it, lets say to like 4k and just let out the clutch fast? if you dont mind can you just give me any tips/pointers? especially with driving a 5sp for auto-x.... like what do to and what not to do

thanks
Yes you can downshift into first if need be. Most courses don't require you to. In a lot of cases I find it slows me down to downshift. Subarus have enough torque. :) If you're going to downshift I'd suggest heel and toeing. It's probably the fastest/easiest way to do it.

·
Banned
4,588 Posts
Bl_easy -i'm on r.comps right now. i run 36psi all around to maximize grip. The rear end still rotates real nice with the 25mm rear sway bar.

·
The Thread Stopper
11 WRX, Matte black
5,783 Posts
i cant get my car to go into 1st unless im dam near stopped lol ive always stayed in second
Old synchros? I had that problem w/ my RS. I changed to shockproof gear fluid and it helped a bit. My WRX doesn't have that issue at all though, which I find is odd.

·
Banned
4,588 Posts
Yes you can downshift into first if need be. Most courses don't require you to. In a lot of cases I find it slows me down to downshift. Subarus have enough torque. :) If you're going to downshift I'd suggest heel and toeing. It's probably the fastest/easiest way to do it.
Yeah I mentioned about heal-toe earlier on the first page. Heal toe will save you time only if you do it right. I shaved .5sec just by heal-toeing.

In our region we have tight transitions from one parking lot to another parking lot especially at Adventureland Park. I usually heal toe into 1st through the transition. Once I'm in the other parking lot I would already redline 1st and shift into second. It takes practice to heal-toe but if you have wider pedals they do wonders. I run carbon fiber Sparco pedals.

·
Registered
2017 WRB BRZ w/PP
1,739 Posts
I always shift to 2nd and leave it there. Unless it's a very slow corner, your gonna waste more time shifting 2-1-2 than if you just hammer it. Our cars are pretty torquey down low.

For setup this is what I run.

AGX/P1's: 4f 8r
Tire Pressures: 43f 48r
Sway set to 24mm

And learn to heel-toe, best thing to start getting quicker times

btw, tires are Dunlap D1's SS 225/45-17

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so i just got back from auto-x today. i am a little dissapointed in my self because it felt like i could push it alot harder but the car just loved to slide on the course. i had my tire pressure at 36/40. i got the back to push out twice, anyone have any suggestions? front sway bar?

·
Banned
4,588 Posts
You need stickier tires. Did you check the sidewalls for any rubbing? If there's rubbing on the fronts that tells you need more tire pressure.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You need stickier tires. Did you check the sidewalls for any rubbing? If there's rubbing on the fronts that tells you need more tire pressure.
well i started out with them at 40 in the front. no rolling the tires over, then i went down to 38 and it got better with turning. then 36 but i still feel like the car has more

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Keep going down till you are slower, then bump it back up a few PSI.

I run 33F and 28R on the little Hankooks. We used to run about 36F/R on the V710's. It feels like these new Hoosiers like more pressure. I was at 38F and 34R with good balance.

Don't go by my pressures though.....run whatever your car and tires like most.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts