Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

My rear quarter rust repair

74K views 59 replies 25 participants last post by  rsrallygirl 
#1 ·
I am going to try and document my rust repair on the rear quarters on my 01 GC6. I'll try and get photos as much as possible.

To start, here's the "before" pictures:

Drivers side - notice the tab to hold the bumper has broken away...

The PO did a shoddy (at best) repair using bondo.

Passengers side - not as bad, but bonding fixed and rust is starting to bubble...

Donor panels are front fenders. As said in another thread, you cut the arch (as much as needed) and the part where the bumper attaches. This gives you a new arch and bumper mounting point. The arch in the front has the same radius as the rear.

Next up...cutting...

See less See more
#5 ·
good luck on your quest.

to me both sides seem to have had prior patch jobs that have failed. if i were in your shoes i would do fresh quarters since they are still available and not all that costly. gives you a clean long lasting slate. especially since it seems you work at or have access to a body shop like myself.

#6 · (Edited)
I'm hacking a spare set of front fenders and welding. ;-)

...and yep, I work at a body shop. The close of this will be a fresh coat of STM.

Found this:

...notice the bent metal, that's surrounded by nothing. Rocker (drivers front) is pretty much gone. On top of that, at the drivers front Jack point, the floor pan is crushed. I discovered it when I went to fix a clip to secure the skirt.

#7 ·
dont feel bad.... mine neglected the piss poor quarter replacement and the rear body replacement....all rotting away under the seams so they are both getting repleced. other then that theres not too much rust anywhere but around the typical atenna so im shaving that

#9 ·
yeah thats unfortunately the crappy thing... i was told the car was never hit, but i did see the rust. the rust on the side that was hit was souly from umporper quarter replacement. i knew it had a blown motor but the owner told me it was a rod bearing(got lucky that it was). was told the car just did run and when i tore the block apart i found out it was worked on once and it had a clogged oil journlal which is why it blew again. needless to say he said he had no idea what happened BUT the card had perfectly clean oil and there was no rod bearing on #4 so to me someone knew about it lol.

#15 ·
Well, you Only use the radius of the arch, and about 4-5" fwd of the arch (for bumper mounting). You're welding and doing metal work, so not much else matters.

Once cutting/ bonding happens, it'll make sense.

This route is in lieu of forming metal from scratch.

#18 ·
i repaired my quarters, rockers, and i found a hole in trunk floor under where the jack sits. if you take out the vents in the sides (just 4 screws), and you can see if theres any holes like mine. good luck! oh and with the rockers make sure you use some decently thick metal

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.