Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
It seems like they went through the trouble to swap over the sunroof but didn’t bother to swap over the RS wiring harness so it would be OBD compatible. That’s just silly.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Apparently this L model came with one. I’m going to a smog shop tomorrow to see what’s up with the OBD port. Im a noob and can be wrong about it now being OBD compatible, I couldn’t get my code reader to read the car but I could’ve been using it wrong. Again. I’m a noob.
To my knowledge, none of the L ever came with a sunroof but I could be wrong as well. If it has an OBD port then I would assume they ported over the harness since that would’ve been easier then merging an RS to L harness but keep us updated.

·
Registered
34 Posts
sorry someone screwed you, that sucks, what a nightmare! But something isn't adding up in my mind, I don't know... it seems to me something else fishy is going on here. (from the sellers who created this mess). If this is a real 95 L that they converted to a 2.5RS how far did they go, and why? I saw mention of a sunroof but wasn't clear about it. does it have one? that would be very difficult to add, though it can be done. it also has the front bumper, side skirts wheels, etc. what about the interior? Is the dash a pre-facelift like would have come in the 95? the 2.5RS dash is completely different, I'd be curious to see some interior pics to help you identify. Is it possible this is a real 2.5RS that was stolen and someone slapped the vin for a 95L somewhere?
If you look at the 7-11 pictures, you can clearly see that it has the RS sunroof that is painted to match the car body. I am in the process of doing a 95 L to RS swap from a 99 donor since the body is completely rusted and it wasn't worth saving. Definitely very involved to port everything over but i have moved essentially everything with the exception of the sunroof since the work needed to take off both roof skin, cut a hole, fit up system, plumb drainage and reweld everything was not worth the effort. Although i did save the roof and everything in the even if i ever want to do this swap before cutting up the whole car to scrap metal.

I think OP can definitely identify if it is a 95 L or 01 RS body by two things i noticed when doing my swap. 1) Opening near the passenger side of the strut tower where the airbox ac line feeds out from on the RS is horizontal where as on the L it angles diagonally up. You should be able to tell if it was cut or not. 2) Steering column opening is smaller on the L then the RS. If you look to the driver side footwell and take a look and see if it is using a single black bushing and feel along the shaft of the steering column where the bushing is to see if there is a lip. The L steering column uses a single bushing the rest along a lip on the steering column whereas the RS has a bigger opening where it uses a two piece type bushing, a bigger black one that sits in the firewall with a white bushing that goes on the steering column.

OP take a look of these or try to take pictures and maybe we can try to help you as well to see if it is original or modifications were done as a result of the swap.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts