Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5 RSTi
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well folks, i own a 2000 2.5 RS silver. I have a short shifter, bushings, sti tranny mount, cold air intake, stromung exhuast, and borla headers, front strut brace, toyo proxes tires and some other cosmetic mods.... Anyway back to the story. My friend has a 02 silver WRX and he finally let me drive it. Although i do enjoy my car very much, the WRX is quite nice. They feel pretty solid. Although i wasn't that impressed by the low end of the car. My RS is pretty modded and damn fast and has a lot of low end torque. The but hoWRX doesn't wever the top end is faster i do admit. I drov ethe WRX hard that nite and it was fun. It does also feel a little stiffer. However, my car sounds a million times better even though his BOV sounds kina neet. Bottom line, the WRX was nice but i wouldn't trade my car for anything... Looks, sound, sexiness the WRX just cannot compete. Although he may beat me in a race... it wouldn't be by much, didn't feel really much faster than mine, and low end my car would work it. Enjoy having a NOT SO POPULAR impreza!

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
Interesting find! :borg: Displacement has a thing to do with it, I bet. Sometimes the funfactor comes more with a torqey engine than a revvy one. That's why the RS is an awesome machine.

Sorry to change the subject, but how do you think a modded RS would compare to a (God forbid) modded Mazdaspeed Protege or a stock/lightly modded Neon SRT-4 in driver excitement and feel? I'm sure no one here drove those cars yet, but they both have strong torque curves. The Mazda has a LSD and the Neon has 245 lb/ft of torque. Does AWD play a big part in torque distribution compared to the FWDers? Please, don't flame.

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
that's what i thought when i drove my friend's WRX. i thought it was a lot stiffer than the GC. the low end does sorta suck.

Silver 2K RS Coupe
1,864 Posts
I had a similar experience

When the WRX first came out, I went to the dealer I got my RS from to drive one. It was one of those things you do because you feel like you have to, but know the result will be damn expensive, you know?

Anyway, I was really disapointed. I think my car is way quicker till' 40 MPH, even with the WRX to 60, then the WRX took the cake over 60 MPH. Stiffer chassis, tighter of course. But most of the time, it felt like a 2 litre N/A car that weighs over 300 lbs more. I swear, the boost didn't come on till' over 4000 RPM. It is fun at 65+, but that's about it. WRX owners really need to mod the thing to make it work right.

The salesman was all ready to write me up, and I'm all "no thanks, man!"

How cool to find I like my RS more! RS's kick ass!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I have a 2002 RS and I went into the dealership to get a WRX. After learning about the cars, the similarities and disparities, and driving them I chose the RS. I really think it’s a better all around car and it’s hands down the best car out there for the money. Yeah the WRX is faster but I don’t drag race and we push the WRX guys real hard when we do canyon runs. I get the “you bought the wrong car” crap all the time while I turn better auto-x times…go figure. The WRX is still a very cool car, don't get me wrong, I just like the RS better. And that GC8 body... ummm smokin... you lucky bastards.

·
Registered
2001 Impreza RS BRP
1,359 Posts
Tall J said:
I have a 2002 RS and I went into the dealership to get a WRX. After learning about the cars, the similarities and disparities, and driving them I chose the RS. I really think it’s a better all around car and it’s hands down the best car out there for the money. Yeah the WRX is faster but I don’t drag race and we push the WRX guys real hard when we do canyon runs. I get the “you bought the wrong car” crap all the time while I turn better auto-x times…go figure. The WRS is still a very cool car, don't get me wrong, I just like the RS better. And that GC8 body... ummm smokin... you lucky bastards.
I love the older body style..we have a hood scoop..and you don't!!
:p

Nice handling..definitely!!!;)

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm not aloud to drive my mom's WRX with out her or my dad in the car.

my dad says "I think you apresate the Turbo to much"

He put a up-pipe and exsaust with a green air filter and it boost much fast.

Erik s.

·
It's not a GC
07 WRX Wag0nz
9,387 Posts
kickin_81 said:
Interesting find! :borg: Displacement has a thing to do with it, I bet. Sometimes the funfactor comes more with a torqey engine than a revvy one. That's why the RS is an awesome machine.

Sorry to change the subject, but how do you think a modded RS would compare to a (God forbid) modded Mazdaspeed Protege or a stock/lightly modded Neon SRT-4 in driver excitement and feel? I'm sure no one here drove those cars yet, but they both have strong torque curves. The Mazda has a LSD and the Neon has 245 lb/ft of torque. Does AWD play a big part in torque distribution compared to the FWDers? Please, don't flame.
I hate to tell you this but the NEON SRT is a bad ass mo' foo'! we don't stand a chance with that fucking car can you believe it IT'S A FUCKING NEON!!!! for crying out loud I saw the test drive a couple of weeks agon on autoweek That car is fucking fast!!!! something like low 14's trap speeds and a 0-60 in under 6 sec.!! now that insane...did I mentioned the Fact that IT'S A FUCKING NEON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah.. THose Neons...

Lol I hate to say it.. But those new Neons are badass little suckers. Fast as hell. They have no mufflers, I thought that was intresting. Just a resonator. Hell I would acutally buy one. Im not one for american cars but damn...:checkit:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts