Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what I got with some time, nine yards of faux suede (about $60), some headliner spray glue, and black vinyl/carpet spray paint:

I sueded the headliner, sunroof, ABC Pillars, Part of the door cards, the "lid" of the center console / armrest, the driver's sun visor, and the Dash. I also painted all of the grey interior pieces black to match the Suede. Oh, and I dyed the carpet black which made it look brand new! I still want to suede the rear parcel shelf, and get the door cards flocked. And hopefully v5/6 seats are somewhere down the road.

I also did this while I was working on the suede (the COM port and the radar detector install):

And I had an extra boost gauge sitting around (I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, but I think it's funny and it doesn't look bad):

Those are all the pics that I have now. I'll probably get some more eventually.

·
Registered
98 Red L 2.2L 5spd
343 Posts
wat kind of radar do you have? i like the location you put the thing in

·
Premium Member
01 rs coupe. BRP
1,558 Posts
dash looks great you should do a write up. I'll be interested t osee if it bubles with the heat.. I to second more pics of headliner.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm away from the car until Wednesday. I'll get more pictures then.

Flocking the dash would have cost much more and I like the look of this better. I also don't know of any places in the US that do electro-static flocking which, from what I've read, stands up to abuse much better than the adhesive flocking does.

The radar is a Passport 8500.

I'm a bit worried about bubbling in heat and fading just because the fabric is so cheap, so I'm going to put up a reflective sun shade as much as I can. Hopefully whenever I park if I can remember to do it.

The fabric is from distinctivefabric.com. They'll send you free samples!

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Impreza RS 5MT
2,827 Posts
I would be concerned over the performance of the passenger-side airbag. It appears you didn't trim through the material to follow the contours where the dash opens up for the airbag.

Other than that, it looks good.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would be concerned over the performance of the passenger-side airbag. It appears you didn't trim through the material to follow the contours where the dash opens up for the airbag.

Other than that, it looks good.
I thought about that. The material isn't glued around the edges of the airbag panel so I'm fairly confident that the airbag will have no trouble ripping the suede off. As it is now, you can pull it off with your fingers. What I did think about though, was that the extra force needed to pull the suede off might slow the airbag down a little bit, which might lessen its effectiveness. I know airbags rely on pretty precise timing. I think that it will be fine though.

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Impreza RS 5MT
2,827 Posts
::shrug:: It might be a bit paranoid, but for me it wouldn't be worth the risk. I would probably cut a little channel that follows the outline of the thinned plastic on the dash, anyway. It would be like a bit of highlighting or something.

·
The Dash Flocker!
00 GF, 04 Jetta TDi
3,791 Posts
Flocking the dash would have cost much more and I like the look of this better. I also don't know of any places in the US that do electro-static flocking which, from what I've read, stands up to abuse much better than the adhesive flocking does.
You're right about flocking being more expensive. I'm doing the service for $175, and you only spent $60 for all the material right?

There is a big misconception between manual and electrostatic flocking. I have the capability of having it done either way, and while the electrostatic flocking provides a nicer feel finish, it also reflects significantly more light which defeats the original purpose of the anti-glare coating. The durability of manual vs elctrostatic flocking is the same. It doesn't matter how the fibers are applied- the difference is in how well the adhesive bonds to the plastic and the fiber.

+1 for a good looking DIY project.

·
Premium Baller
94 WRX, '11 R6 race bike
5,738 Posts
dude where did you buy that stuff? it looks amazing

a writeup would be sweet

awesome job on that so far dude

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You're right about flocking being more expensive. I'm doing the service for $175, and you only spent $60 for all the material right?

There is a big misconception between manual and electrostatic flocking. I have the capability of having it done either way, and while the electrostatic flocking provides a nicer feel finish, it also reflects significantly more light which defeats the original purpose of the anti-glare coating. The durability of manual vs elctrostatic flocking is the same. It doesn't matter how the fibers are applied- the difference is in how well the adhesive bonds to the plastic and the fiber.

+1 for a good looking DIY project.
That's really good to know about the electrostatic flocking vs. "manual." I didn't research it too much before I decided to go suede. I'm probably going to have my door cards flocked so that's really good to know.

·
Registered
GF OBS-T, GM RS EJ20, SF EJ20
4,973 Posts
Dash came out NICE!

Does the flocking look like the felt on the insides of the window mouldings?

·
Premium Member
MY98 2.5RS Coupe Brilliant Red
880 Posts

I'm a bit worried about bubbling in heat and fading just because the fabric is so cheap, so I'm going to put up a reflective sun shade as much as I can. Hopefully whenever I park if I can remember to do it.

dude where did you buy that stuff? it looks amazing

a writeup would be sweet

awesome job on that so far dude
A little less sugar, and a bit more reading comprehension.

I'm on the fence as to whether I'd like to pursue a suade dash or flocked dash. Pictures and details such as this make me think I could easily get it done. Looking at the fact that my car has sat on jackstands for the last 10 months as I rebuild the motor (problems due to mileage and user error) make me believe flocking (by someone else) would be the best answer.

Nice pictures, and the end result look real good. Keep us up to date on how the fabric performs in the elements.

·
I <3 JDM
GC8 + GF + GG
5,166 Posts

Thanks for the link. I'm ordering it :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts