Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had the opportunity to drive an E Production RX-7 racecar at an auto-x this weekend, and it was so much fun. the grip was incredible, the acceleration was scary, until you remembered it had brakes to match. but maybe the biggest difference was the quick steering. turn the wheel a couple of inches (which takes some muscle thanks to the manual steering) and the car simply changes directions. it doesn't bitch. you don't have to keep on winding the wheel. it just goes. me want racecar! its just like when i went to R-compounds, i knew i could never go back to street tires. when i first drove on gravel with rally tires, my eyes were opened. unfortunately now, i have seen the light, and it involves a full racecar. street cars just aren't going to cut it anymore :) now, who wants to sponsor me :D

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
I assume this car had race slicks on it?

What was the weight of the car and spring rates it was running?

Throw some real race slicks on your car with 3x the stiffest spring you'd dare run.

Subarus have excellent steering response....the fucking body just leans for a few moments while the car tries to change directions!

We're at 500#front and 400#rear. Well balanced but still on the soft side......

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep, its on slicks. it weighs about 2100-2200 with me in it, and it runs 650 front, 450 rear. no doubt an impreza can be made to be as fast and handle as well, but not in GS :) it was just my first experience driving a full race car and, just like with my first experience on R-compounds, it was an eye-opening experience. but the steering did kick ass. just turn the wheel a few inches and the car just went. it was great. no more 3.2 turns lock to lock or whatever it is. the car was just a blast, although when i'd finish my run it was more like a blast furnace in the cockpit! those 12As sure do run hot! i was just wondering if anyone else had driven an actual, no nonsense racecar before?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a Spec RX-7 that I run SCCA road Racing venues with. That thing is a blast. It is a lot different than a Subaru, you need to remember the difference from rear wheel drive to AWD. I have run Willow Springs Big Track and Buttonwillows many configurations. But yes you are right. Once you feel whats its like to be stapped into a race car, there is no wanting to go back.

BTW Spec-7 cars are cheap to build. I have almost 4K in the whole car including the original purchase price of the car. But I did install all the components and roll cage myself. But almost all the parts are bolt in, so its not hard, just time consuming.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts