Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2005 2.5RS Black
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i recently purchased a 05 rs and i went off roading. alot of dust and it went on for about an hour.
after i was done, i drove about 30 miles back to home and next day, i noticed this high pitch whining noise (kind of like a small super charger) at higer RPMs.
its not a bad sound. doesnt sound like anything is broken. in fact, i like the sound.
but it just isnt the sound of my engine before i went off roading.
is anything wrong with the car? ive been driving it for 2 weeks now after the incident and its still making the same noise.....
any comments/ suggestions would be appreciated!
thanks!

·
Registered
2005 2.5RS Black
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea it sounds like its coming from the engine.
i did hit a small chunk of dirt which went through and got under my bodykit/ intercooler.
would clogged intake make high pitch noise like that?
it was dusty...
i dont kno wtoo much about cars as of now. im a noob. it might be something really simple..

·
Registered
13 Impreza
1,334 Posts
lesson #1
If you have an RS, then you don't have an intercooler.

lesson #2
Check the airbox and possibly clean your air filter. It's located in the big black box on the passenger side of the engine bay.

Is it possible to listen under the hood and pinpoint where the noise is coming from?

·
L On Roids.
98L 2.2
1,371 Posts
lesson #1
If you have an RS, then you don't have an intercooler.

lesson #2
Check the airbox and possibly clean your air filter. It's located in the big black box on the passenger side of the engine bay.

Is it possible to listen under the hood and pinpoint where the noise is coming from?
That's what I was just thinking.

·
Registered
2005 2.5RS Black
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lol, well, my 2.5RS IS TURBO CHARGED
J/K
i think im gonna check the air filters and see if it keeps making the noise

·
Registered
99' L-WRX wagon
591 Posts
when they get low enough on fluid they will whine no matter what

·
Registered
05' Impreza 2.5rs, CGM
1,967 Posts
yea my old 84' mercedes wined all the time because there was a leak in the power steering lines. once i added more fluid it was good to go!

I would definitely start with the airbox and then move from there. its an easy job on the 05. Does the car whine while idle or is it only when you drive? you might be able to pinpoint where it is comming from by having someone hold the rpm's at cruise RPM around 2 to 3k rpm and you can really look into the engine to see where it is comming from. check the hoses for any cracks too. maybe a rock got kicked up and may have cracked a hose??? Its just a thought

·
JBCUSTOMS
2001 Impreza 2.5RS STM
2,486 Posts
loose belt? dirt/mud on the belt causing slipping?

here's a good test to see if it is ur belt: with the engine running, spray a small ammount of wd40 on the belt. If the sound goes away... then thats what it is.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts