Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
RIP 08.24.2013
01 legacy L
8,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering about replacing the A\control arm bushings to get a bit of a better ride, I've also notice a 'clunk' that happens when turning the wheel and the suspension flexes, ideas?

I know I should replace the struts and springs, waiting on a good deal to pop up for WRX\Sti springs\hats.

So at 11yrs old what bushings should I replace to help stiffen the ride up a bit? I'm going to be adding an EG in soon so I imagine that the worn stock components are going to show their age with another 80lbs hanging off the front axle. Rear sway bar is a likely upgrade, would an impreza\wrx swaybar with mounting hardware work or would I be better off to grab a 22mm adco?

I know there are suspension threads, though I've never seen a 'freshen up my suspension' thread so I made one :p.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Great questions, and I too would like to know.

Since my car has the same mileage as yours, I am also contemplating CA bushings, MOOG ball joints and tie rods (just for the heck of it). So far I've upgraded the RSB,bushings and endlinks.

·
Premium Member
2015 WRX STI WRB
8,417 Posts
any aftermarket bushing would be stiffer than your existing ones.

i don't necessarily think it's a question of "should" you but it if you want to it won't hurt.

to be fair, i have replaced the inside control arm bushings (anti lift kit), steering rack bushings, bigger sway bars front and back and the shifter linkage, and end links.

if it's not a necessity to replace the bushings, for a daily driven street car the above mentioned upgrades perfrom sufficiently.

·
Registered
2001 Impreza 2.5RS
321 Posts
i kno im not 150k, but i just replaced my bushings with TiC polyurethane bushings while i was replacing bent components from a crash. my stock bushings looked just fine at 130k. depends on how the car was maintained i guess.

·
RIP 08.24.2013
01 legacy L
8,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
any aftermarket bushing would be stiffer than your existing ones.

i don't necessarily think it's a question of "should" you but it if you want to it won't hurt.

to be fair, i have replaced the inside control arm bushings (anti lift kit), steering rack bushings, bigger sway bars front and back and the shifter linkage, and end links.

if it's not a necessity to replace the bushings, for a daily driven street car the above mentioned upgrades perfrom sufficiently.
Now my car isn't an impreza :(, would the control arm bushings be the same size?

I replaced my whole steering rack and saw no bushing on\connected to that particular piece of hardware, did I perhaps overlook something?

Thanks for the link! That's exactly what I'd like to do "get the crisp feeling". Not trying to go corner hugging, canyon burning just trying to get things a bit tighter. Swaybars are an obvious upgrade but one that on its way.

Thanks for the replies!

·
Premium Member
2001 A.W. L
13,249 Posts
Just an FYI

harder bushings = more NVH

Too much NVH is relative to each person. I have been in cars that you can have to speak up because of the solid mounts in the car.

·
RIP 08.24.2013
01 legacy L
8,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just an FYI

harder bushings = more NVH

Too much NVH is relative to each person. I have been in cars that you can have to speak up because of the solid mounts in the car.

I don't want a crazy loud car, I'm just concerned for worn suspension bits and pieces especially because I'll be adding more weight to the front end.

·
Registered
JDM Moneypit
599 Posts
After 100k miles, things definitely are tired and worn out. I've been replacing things along the way as I put new suspension pieces in and, as Josh has said, it usually increases NVH to the ride. I don't mind because I have another car. You really can't go wrong with OEM if you're keeping the car a long time. If applicable, the STi bushings are somewhat of a compromise if you don't want to go fully aftermarket and ultra firm. That's just my 2 cents though.

·
RIP 08.24.2013
01 legacy L
8,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^Nope don't want to go Aftermarket and all out.
Will suspension bits that fit the 01 impreza fit the 01 legacy? They're basically the same, and those are the only bushings I have been able to locate.

·
Premium Member
2001 A.W. L
13,249 Posts
check with the vendors on here that get OEM stuff, you can get Group N bushings if you want a slight upgrade.

These guys have them all listed, but I have a hard time with them getting back to me.
RalliSpec - Bushing Chart GC8

Pretty sure that as long as you dont have an outback everything carries over from the impreza line. I know my 01 forester and 01 Impreza parts carry over. my 01 outback is different though

·
RIP 08.24.2013
01 legacy L
8,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^ Thanks Joshua, I'll check with the vendors and see about a bushing kit.
I guess I should spend more time on the vendor side of the site.

I had a feeling that most everything was interchangeable from the 01 L and 01 I line.
Outbacks do seem to be the oddball out.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza RS <Red>
1,197 Posts
Just throwin' it out there, I did the turn in concepts lateral link bushings and the NVH increased a lot. Considerably more road noise from the rear tires is transferred into the cabin.

·
Registered
JDM Moneypit
599 Posts
Like Thomas was saying, the vibration will increase in relation to how much stiffer you go. I'd imagine most of the group N stuff would carry over to the Legacy line. Rallispec is definitely the place to call for bushings. They were very helpful when I had questions regarding what would work on my car.

·
RIP 08.24.2013
01 legacy L
8,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright, once my income tax comes in I'll give them a call and let them hook me up, I'm not looking for "because race car" but more "because spirited driver".

Don't want a ton of noise as it's my DD.

Thanks for all the input everybody!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.