Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

341 - 360 of 366 Posts

·
Registered
01 WRX swapped RS Coupe. 01 RS Sedan
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #341
Picked up a GC8 Intercooler spray switch and a new Strut Brace sticker from @Marco Ville

Scored a Brand new, LHD Airbag delete cubby, from Fillip Hoffer on FB - Probably just going to hoard this for now.

Picked up my re-assembled rear knuckles from Kozmic. New bearings, seals, and hubs with powder coated backing plates.

Test fitted this Cusco piece on the front end. Probably doesn't do much, if anything at all, but the Cusco blue matches so nicely :)

Decided to start tackling the restoration of this OEM GC8 Power Steering cooler.

Sand blasting is so satisfying

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #342
Pretty much spent the rest of my time trying to figure out what to do about the AC and Radiator.

This is how the stock USDM RS Condensor fits.

It sits entirely inside the front grille area.

The GC Lower brackets swap over directly to the GD Condenser. Once you have finalized the location, you just drill a small hole in the lower rail for the screw to go through.

Fitment looks decent on first pass... BUT...

... Even with the GC brackets at full stretch....

....It makes the whole thing sit too far to the passenger side, so it still interferes with the Turbo radiator.

It is about now I considered using a RHD Turbo AC Condensor, it would fit much better but would still leave me with the need to find a new location for the Drier.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #343
Shifting the whole thing to the right (as I'm looking at it), is pretty easy.. The problem then becomes the upper brackets. The GD condenser doesnt have an upper rail (like on the GC one and the bottom of the GD), so the upper brackets come from the side, instead of from the top. So the one on the drivers side hits the sheet metal near the headlight :(

The best solution I came up with was to 'modify' the sheet metal - My goal was to modify the condensor as little as possible, incase I ever have to replace it. Anyway, I was going to just cut a hole in the panel, but I was concerned that it would affect the integrity of that piece by the headlight, so instead, I cut two slits, and then used a hammer and dolly to invert the curve on the sheet metal, so that it bends outward, instead of inward.

Thus allowing the corner bracket on the condenser to sit further forward.

Install and remove the condensor and radiator, about a million times until you finally land on exactly where the holes and brackets need to be. I was able to reuse one of the factory holes (on the drivers side), but I had to drill a new hole for the bracket on the passenger side. The reason is that the bracket needs to go beyond the end of the radiator part itself, to where the drier is, so the factory hole is a no go on that end.

Drill a hole here - I used a 5/16" drill bit. The rubber bushing is tight but it fits.

With the newly drilled hole, re-assemble everything and test out the fitment again.

The GD condensor will fit inside the grill area, just like the GC one, so long as you do this correctly.

The drier does sit slightly proud, but i may be able to bend that forward very slightly if needs be.

The new location clears the Turbo radiator quite nicely.

There is also plenty of clearance for the headlight

05 STI hardline (for the return to the evaporator) installed for reference. It could likely be modified to fit the GC frame rail, but thats the next project :)

05 STI Compressor hose also clears the headlight

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #345
Now that's fitment! Nice work!
Thanks man, appreciate it.. I'm not a fabricator by any stretch of the imagination.. In fact anytime I cut or drill something, it ends up being wrong, so I'm pretty happy with this effort.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #346
She almost got us T Boned on the way home from the pub, but we survived unscathed.

In other news, the BEST Powder Coater I've ever encountered finished my BRZ wheels in Prismatic Powders, Spanish Gold.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
832 Posts
That wheel looks amazing!

Reactions: Ricco

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #349
Test fit this Power Steering tank with the hood closed. Should fit nicely right here.

Hello, whats this..

It is a Process West FMIC! - Fitment appears to be on point!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #350
Didnt really do anything on the GC today.. I did start to pull the 'rear harness' last night, as it will need to go to iWire for a few 'little extras' that I have been discussing with Brian :)

Today was BRZ day.. I started by pulling the battery terminals off.. I cant believe how badly corroded these terminals are.. This battery was replaced by Subaru less than a year ago and it is already like this.. Are these Subaru batteries, really just THAT bad?

Anyway, the highlight of the day was Tread Connection coming to mount tires on my Rays wheels for the BRZ.

They only use the best touchless machine..

They also programmed in a new set of TPMS sensors.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #351 (Edited)
I had to reconnect the battery yesterday, so Tread Connection could program the TPMS... So today, I took the battery out.

Looked pretty nasty, even underneath the plastic tray.

Cleaned it up a bit

Pretty unhappy to see rust forming already.. just because of Subaru's shitty batteries.

Cleaned up the Battery terminals and other bits and pieces... They were so full of acid, I felt like a dentist scraping plaque out of someones teeth..

Liberally applied some Di-Electric grease and re-installed everything. I re-used the $50 Walmart battery that I bought 6 months ago for the Sedan.. I won't be needing it in there for a while, possibly ever so this is at least a good use for it. I'd put money on it lasting longer than the POS Subaru battery.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #352
Onto the GC.. I pulled the rear harness. It wasn't difficult, but unlike the Bulkhead and Front harnesses, the rear harness clips into blind holes, so it isn't possible to 'squeeze' the clips out - They must be pried out.. Needless to say EVERY SINGLE ONE of them broke in the process :(

Well at least everything is boxed up now and will be shipped to iWire tomorrow.

In other news, I found out, from a post on Facebook, that the 'old GC backing plates', the ones for the single piston rear calipers, actually share the same bolt spacing as the 08+, new rear suspension, style calipers. It totally makes sense since you always needed a bracket to convert from these, even on to GC STI, FHI 2 Pots..

Anyway, it just so happens that my Sedan had these EXACT backing plates :) Yes, I know, its upside down and installed on the wrong side, but this was just an initial little test fit, to see if it was true!

First issue is that the caliper fouls the dust shield, of course, so.... I whipped it off.

Switched out the caliper for the correct one for this side of the car. As you can see, the bolts are too long (On the new suspension cars, the calipers bolt to the knuckle, there is no backing plate, which is why the bolts are longer. I couldnt r-use the GC bolts as they are a different Thread pitch. BUT.. They bolt on, nonetheless.

Finally, I test fit the stock GC disc on there.. It seems like the offset of the disc/caliper may be different though so I'm not sure if this will work.. Also, just eyeballing it, it looks like the caliper still sits too close to the center of the hub, it barely clears the GC parking brake drum, so I expect that the larger drum on the bigger rotor will hit it. Unfortunately, I don't have a suitable disc to try out... Need to find someone with an 04 STI and see if I can borrow a rotor to do another test..

·
95 Coupe, 95 Sedan & 95 Wagon
12,434 Posts
There is a special tool to help with the clips, not that I have one myself. I asked how they do the hood insulation swap so easy without breaking the clips.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #354
There is a special tool to help with the clips, not that I have one myself. I asked how they do the hood insulation swap so easy without breaking the clips.
Yeah, I have the plastic ones, which are mostly useless for wiring clips, and set like this but it still doesn't help when the clips are so old and brittle.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #355
Two more Milestones achieved today.

1. Wiring harnesses have been shipped to iWire.
2. The car is back at the Bodyshop!

She got ready to be put down on all fours :oops:

Face down, ass up!

First time outside since before Christmas

Oh hello..

Whats this?

She has been mounted!

Dropped her off at the crackhouse for a couple weeks.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #358
Tonight, I cleaned up the engine wiring Harness.

This is just the part that sits on top of the engine, underneath the intake manifold.

Fortunately, none of my clips are actually broken, they are all just pretty filthy. Excuse the poor/inaccurate labelling on some connectors.

My process is to fill the sink with warm water (Probably best to check with your spouse/significant other first :) ) and I added a little Simple green too. Then I submerge the whole harness in the solution and start scrubbing with an old toothbrush.

Once you have been over every connector, and as much of the sheathing as you can stand, empty the sink and give the harness a really good rinse with clean water.

The Simple Green makes it slippery so rinse it off until the slipperyness is gone.

Once you are happy with it, hang it up somewhere you can leave it to dry, at least overnight. This will hang here until we all get home from work/school tomorrow, then I will shake out some more drips and hang it up somewhere else, in another orientation, to try and make sure all of the water has dried out of all the connectors.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #359
Back at the bodyshop..

Glass is out

Little fixaroo on the core support

This freaking weird tab on the passenger strut tower is gone

Battery tray has been removed

Next up, scuff it up for paint.

341 - 360 of 366 Posts