Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

261 - 280 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
2.5RS, STI, BRZ, ZL1 vert, X5D
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #262
Decided to start tackling the apparent problem with the RS Coupe this last weekend. No codes at all, but it is down on power and the exhaust note sounds like trash.. Like it is only firing on 3 cylinders :oops:

Brakes were also feeling weird.. Lots of pedal travel then a sudden bite with no pedal feel whatsoever.

Started out inspecting and bleeding the rear brakes.

Moving to the front, we quickly realized the front pads were down to almost nothing, and the rotor thickness was out of spec. A quick trip to the auto parts store and grabbed some new pads and rotors for the front, we got new pads for the rear too but have not fitted them as yet.

Checked the Oil.. Yep, it's got some! LOL Just kidding, we changed it too!

We pulled the coil packs and spark plugs.. My first time ever doing it on a Subaru and it wasn't as bad as I had envisioned.. Cylinder 3 was by far the hardest to do anything with.. It seems to have the least clearance to the frame rail.

Can you spot the odd one out? It seems to me that Cylinder 1 is the culprit. We gapped new plugs to 0.030 and installed the coil packs from the STI (After switching the plug boots) as I know they are all good. The Coupe coil packs looked pretty new but didn't appear to be OEM, so we wanted to eliminate that as a possible issue.

Did some more investigation into possible boost leaks or anything problematic that the PO had done (Hard to see everything under the intercooler), as well as replaced the rear O2 sensor, and installed an EVAP solenoid (It was just flat out not there and the connector was hidden away). Couldn't find anything really out of whack so threw the intercooler back on and fired it up.

The good news is that it did fire up again no problem, but the engine was still running the same, only now we were getting a flashing CEL, even just on the initial test drive around the block. Quick diagnostic with the AP showed a Cylinder #1 misfire code... Hmmm.. Which spark plug looked odd? I suspect now that it is a burnt exhaust valve, but we will do a compression test next weekend to verify.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #263
Also said goodbye to the remains of the 05 STI donor. I stripped the guts out of it so that it may live on in my GC Sedan, but managed to find someone to buy what was left.. Turns out he wanted to build it back up as an STI again; Its a funny old world :) - It's unlikely that I would have made any more money by parting out what was left, and it saved me a ton of headache, trips to the UPS store etc etc..

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #265
May need to replace the seals on the spark plugs, valve covers while you're at it.
Yeah, honestly the whole engine appears to be covered in a film of engine oil.. I don't think the guy who did the swap liked to tighten fasteners.. pretty much everything was snug, but it certainly wasn't tight. I'm secretly hoping it has a burnt valve, I'm pretty sure we can pick up a replacement EJ205 long block pretty cheap and swap it in over a weekend. It will also give us the opportunity to tidy up some of the mess in the engine bay.. Perrin catch can and hoses, electrical wiring and connectors.. Just pretty it up a bit. Might even swap in a Long Runner manifold and an Ebay FMIC.. Shhh.. Don't tell the wife!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #267
So no sooner has one gone and a space opened up....

In comes the next project!

I'm eying the threads on #1 vs the others. Has oil? Others dry... Also does not look to be having spark as you hinted.
Compression test on Saturday. Should hopefully confirm or deny what I suspect.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #268
One is fun because it is fast, the other is fun because it isn't!

Look what Fedex is bringing me tomorrow! I think I just wet myself.

Any tips on splitting this apart? Never messed with any Turbo before so on a learning curve (We same as everything really)...

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
799 Posts
Nice, looks like a rotated setup? Very excite! I believe the TD04's need a quality set of circlip pliers, most aftermarket that I've seen just have bolts on the back sides of the housings.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #270
Nice, looks like a rotated setup? Very excite! I believe the TD04's need a quality set of circlip pliers, most aftermarket that I've seen just have bolts on the back sides of the housings.
Its a stock location setup, but it's a GC fitment down pipe, with a modified Blitz NUR spec Mid pipe, so it mates up to the BNM Fab Down pipe with a V Band flange.

The Turbo is a VF39 so it has a clamp around the middle to hold the Hot side housing to the CHRA. The housings are somewhat corroded together though so they are being a pain to separate.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #271
Took the wheels off my BRZ today, they are in desperate need of new tires, but I also want to get them refurbished at the same time. Still undecided wether to leave them silver or change them to gold? What would you all pick?

The FRS/BRZ crowd are notorious for claiming that 19's are too heavy, then go out and fit 18x10 Reps that probably weigh a lot more. My 19's are Forged Rays A34 - 19x8.5 +35 with 245/35/19 tires on them. They weighed in at 41.9 lbs.

For comparison, this 05-07 STI BBS wheel (17x8 and Forged too), with a 225/45/17 tire, weighed in at 42.77lbs.

It just goes to show that 1. A wheel's weight is not only a factor of it's diameter, and 2. the Tires play just as big of a role in the overall weight, as the wheels do. In fact, the tires are often heavier than the wheels themselves.

Case in point, this 2004 STI BBS wheel (17x7.5 and Forged), with the same size 225/45/17 tire (Different brand) weighed in at just 35.31lbs! I don't think that 04 BBS Wheels are 7.5lbs lighter (per wheel) than the 05-07 equivalent, most of the weight saved was from the tire.

Anyway, the upshot is that my BRZ will be running around like a clown car for the foreseeable future, at least until I get my Rays wheels refurbished.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #273
Look what the Fedex man brought me today!

Very well packaged.

It has been almost a year in the making, but it was totally worth it! These parts are works of art!

Evan is not a Welder/Fabricator, he truly is an artist!

Yes it has a CAT in it, get over it ;) It's an Ultra High flow Cat and won't affect the power level at all.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #275
So today was compression test day!

We did cylinder 1 first. We warmed the engine slightly at idle for a few minutes but it definitely didn’t get hot. The valve covers weren’t really even warm to the touch. Anyway, cylinder 1 came back with ~145 psi! I was suprised to see that, but even more surprised to see it being the highest of all.. the others were ~135-140.We did cylinder 1 first, so it was the warmest for surewhich may have accounted for it returning the highest compression.

Despite the good compression, Cylinder 1 is still very clearly showing no signs of any ignition, so we put it all back together again and decided the next step was to swap coil packs around, and see if the misfire code followed the coil pack or not. Well we put it back together but this time, no freaking code.. I suspect I need to put load on the engine for it to show up.. but remember the clown car BRZ? Well the coupe only has two wheels so we couldn’t test drive it and try to reproduce the code.. if it isn’t one thing, it’s another...

Anyway, we did find that 2 out of 4 injectors were leaking and 3 out of 4 injectors connectors were broken to the point the PO had electrical taped them on to the injector.. smh. So we pulled the injectors.. will probably take them to be cleaned, put new o-rings on and reinstall them. Also ordered new connectors from iwire.

We then called it a day and took off to Austin for the night.. going to go to COTA tomorrow and cheer on our race team, IronRock Motorsports, in the USF4 Series!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #276
So I've ordered a Brand New Melett CHRA with 11 blade Billet Compressor wheel from the UK and tried to order a Ported Turbine Housing from Turbo Parts Canada, only to find out later that it was supposed to be a 'Porting Service' only.. No mention of that on their site, it's false advertising!

In other news, 1 of the 4 STI Pink Injectors was bad... Guess which one? LOL.. Good news is I snagged a brand new OEM one off Ebay for $50.. Trying to avoid all the Chinese knock off ones is difficult.

I beat this bitch too in the meantime..

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #277
Ordered some shiny things from Flat Irons Tuning.

Hard to tell the difference in Injector angle, just looking at them..

They clear the AVCS solenoids a LOT better than the NA Long runner though - With no spacer, it clears everything but I think the electrical connector is going to touch the 'hump', so I may need to add a 3mm spacer.

This seemed like a cheap upgrade to throw in to my order.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #278
Finished grinding on this today..

Mostly finished getting rid of the EGR area. Cant decide to leave that one vacuum port or remove it.. I'm kind of tired of grinding so left it for now.. I just know that if I remove it, I'll find a use for it later and if I leave it, I'll have no use for it and will wish I had removed it :cry:

Also finished up removing the stupid metal pipe thing on the bottom

And ground some more off the legs to clean them up a bit more..

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #279
Started work on this old turbo today too. This is the same turbo I wasn't going to do anything at all with, just throw it in the car and run it for now.. Yet here I am.. Anyway..

Cleaned up the Turbine housing where it mates up to the CHRA. There was quite a bit of corrosion so I sanded it down and cleaned it up.

Since I was no longer getting a ported housing from TPC (I'm not bitter at all).. I decided to have a go at porting it myself.. Never done any porting before but, how hard can it be? Right?

I forgot to take a proper before pic so this is the closest I have (about 30 seconds in).

Before I started, I placed the gasket on both the Turbine entry and the Up pipe exit to compare. The size difference was pretty significant, the gasket pretty much matched the size of the Up Pipe exit but the Turbine entry was a lot smaller. I used the gasket and scribed a circle on the Turbine Housing so I would know where to port it out to.

Here is the gasket on the Up pipe.. I forgot to take a before pic of the gasket on the Turbine housing.

This is how I close I ended up getting to the gasket size.

This is how much I ended up porting the Turbine entry. I'm deliberately not touching the Wastegate as I will be using an EWG. Going to sand it smooth and polish it tomorrow.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #280
Today I sanded the turbine housing smooth and polished it a little. It is far from perfect but I'm pretty happy with it, especially my first time ever porting anything.

261 - 280 of 291 Posts