Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

241 - 260 of 305 Posts

·
Registered
2.5RS, STI, BRZ, ZL1 vert, X5D
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
So we had the opportunity to spend the day at P2P racing, helping to rebuild my engine. I took my two sons with me but only the eldest really showed interest in spending the day and helping out. It was a great time and if you are considering it, I'd highly recommend talking to Ryan about a build.

Assembling the short block

Crank installed and case halves bolted together

Dropping in the Forged Pistons

ARP Head studs

Tomei Head gaskets

Fuji Racing block off plates

Starting to look like an engine!

Cam Pullies

Idlers

Almost a full Long Block - Unfortunately we ran out of time, so Ryan finished off the final pieces another day.

Bagged up for the night.

·
Registered
2001 SRP RS Coupe, 05 FXT
402 Posts
Great update! Glad to see everything coming together, even with some of the issues with the body shop.

On a separate note, what did you use to paint the main section of your garage floors? I'm in the middle of finishing up a new garage, and painting the floors is on my list to do.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
Great update! Glad to see everything coming together, even with some of the issues with the body shop.

On a separate note, what did you use to paint the main section of your garage floors? I'm in the middle of finishing up a new garage, and painting the floors is on my list to do.
It's just a generic Epoxy paint. Some local company came out and did it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #245
Plumped for a new Shifter boot so tonight, I rebuilt the whole linkage.

Kartboy Short Shifter
WC Latheworks Reverse Lockout
Torque Solution linkage bushings
Custom painted linkage arms

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #249
Started working on this at the weekend

Shouldn't there be something in this hole?

This is going to be fun...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #250
Put a couple of hours into cutting and grinding this thing up

Cut all these bits off

But still have a LOT of work to do on it..

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #251
On a side note, I've been researching AVCS/OCV's without a great deal of success...

Does anyone know how the AVCS Solenoids (Oil Control Valve) actually work?
Do the actuators just push/pull the piston inside the valve or does it rotate inside the housing?
Also, do 04-06 and 07/08 OCV's interchange? I know they have a different part number but is that just because of the mounting tab, or are the valves themselves different too?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #252
A -8 ORB fitting arrived today so I was able to do some more test fitting. I'm still waiting for an 8mm spacer to arrive (hopefully this week) so I stuffed some coasters under the manifold (they measured approx 8.5mm) to do some testing (I couldn't bolt the manifold down with the coasters so I was guessing a little bit on alignment).

The ID 1050x injectors shown here are fully seated in the manifold with no interference on the connector. I'm sure they are fully seated (downward) but they still feel somewhat loose in the bore.

With a simulated 8mm spacer I have decent clearance, notwithstanding the electrical connector, the OCV bracket will need to be trimmed too though.

The rail clears the Drivers side banjo (without a fitting installed)

It seems as though the -8 ORB to 6AN fitting could be used on the front end of the rail with minor clearancing of the adapter (and the 8mm spacer).

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #253
It's like as if it was made to fit like this..

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #255
No diaphragm delete? It's known to crack and leak after a while.
Never heard of a diaphragm delete.. Is that the big bulky thing on the bottom? I also have a brand new RS Clutch MC that I might use instead so I only really did this for fun/practice..

Do you know the pro's/con's of STI vs RS MC?

·
95 Coupe, 95 Sedan & 95 Wagon
12,408 Posts
Couple links about it, may be choppy. Been a long time since I looked into this project as I just have not done anything with my cars sadly. Changing that now.

As for the clutch differences, I don't know off hand.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #257
Been putting some work in on this today.. I'm determined to make it work one way or another so I spent the time and effort to start cleaning it up to make it more presentable.

Cut a bunch more bits off..

..but still have a ton of grinding to do.

The important side is starting to look pretty good though.

·
Registered
2008 Impreza 2.5i
27 Posts
This intake manifold was originally used for naturally aspirated applications, correct? So what advantages does it have over he factory ej257 manifold? I'm guessing the grinding is to remove unnecessary portions and gain clearance- are you going to have some of those holes welded shut?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #259
This intake manifold was originally used for naturally aspirated applications, correct? So what advantages does it have over he factory ej257 manifold? I'm guessing the grinding is to remove unnecessary portions and gain clearance- are you going to have some of those holes welded shut?
Yeah, that's correct. I believe mine came from a 2005 2.5RS. Advantages of this manifold are the long runners (which help with Torque production), large plenum (helps with high RPM) and smooth transition (flow path) from the Throttle Body directly into the runners. It's also really pretty once it has been shaved (That's what HE said... LOL).

The biggest drawback is that it is designed for heads that do not have AVCS, so the injectors are canted over at a different angle and interfere with the OCV solenoids. It is widely acknowledged that 19mm spacers are required to clear the electrical connectors (Depending on which fuel rails you use) but I believe that then makes the manifold sit too high (on a GC) and causes interference with the hood. I'm currently considering a couple of different options for addressing this drawback.

Yes, holes will be welded shut and I'll probably replace the vacuum ports with weld on AN bungs.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #260
Really love driving my BRZ... I park them both at work and then have a choice of what to drive home in :D

241 - 260 of 305 Posts