Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

201 - 219 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Impreza 2.5i
16 Posts
I hope it won't take that long to paint my car, but I'm loving watching yours slowly come together. Can you talk about what method and materials were used to strip the black paint off the back of the factory stars badge? I'm going to try to make one as you did.

·
Registered
2.5RS, STI, BRZ, ZL1 vert, X5D
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
I hope it won't take that long to paint my car, but I'm loving watching yours slowly come together. Can you talk about what method and materials were used to strip the black paint off the back of the factory stars badge? I'm going to try to make one as you did.
Thanks!

I used goof off on some Q tips for the badge.. Just rub at it and after a few seconds it will melt. Take your time and be careful not to damage the stars. I also recommend thoroughly taping up the front side to prevent the plastic finish getting marred up by the goof off.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #209
More parts.. This is getting boring :rolleyes:

All the rear wiper parts I could find on Japanparts.com

Cusco front strut brace.. Unfortunately, these are aluminium bars wrapped in wrinkled up carbon fibre, I wish that Cusco made a proper carbon brace for the front to match the one I have for the rear.. I'll either go with this or the pretty common STI carbon bar.

Stickers for the P1 wheels.

Front and rear subframes, as well as trailing arms and T bar from TSSFab.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
The car is getting soooo close at the bodyshop.. It just seems that it is almost always one step forwards and two steps back..

I dropped off the tires for the P1 wheels and found out that they had lost my bonnet vents..

Fortunately they had ordered some new ones from Subaru and had paint matched them.

The other set back is that someone had backed into the car so now the bumper comes off for another session in the booth.. The silver lining is that they will also fill the screw holes in license plate recess while they are fixing it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
Wanted to change out the wheels on the BRZ so I could take the Nismo wheels for a refurb and get new tires put on.. As always, nothing is easy and I quickly found out that neither the STI BBS wheels nor the Rota's would mount to the front due to the lack of clearance at the back for the stock studs (I'm running 11mm Project Kics conversion adapters on the front)..

I think it would have looked good with the BBS Goldies..

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
Finally moved back into our house, even though the garage still isn't done.. So I still dont have most of my tools.. I did go and raid the trailer so pretty much all I have is a set of Gokart tools :cry:

Anyway, lack of tools didnt stop us making a start on the dissasembly.

Finding that all of the aftermarket parts on my donor STI are either Cobb or Perrin.

Needless to say that the exhaust is off (and for sale), as well as the rear sway bar and the Perrin Intake.

The actual swaybar is Perrin too, just didnt grab a pic.

Thinking I'm going to need an 80mm adapter to mate my Blitz SS air filter to this Perrin MAF tube and then onto the Agency Power hard intake pipe.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #215
Really started getting stuck into the STI tear down.

Downpipe and headers out

Getting everything loosened off

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
This little bastard gave me some grief..

Still pretty limited on tools after the fire (repairs are still not complete) and broke a bunch of what I have trying to get it undone... Suprisingly, I havent had many stuck bolts yet, even the Downpipe bolts at the turbo and the Jesus bolts all came out relatively easily.

Broke more tools doing this...

Thank goodness for Craftsman warranty!

In the meantime, I took a break and went out to the chip shop in the other GC.. Boy is it fun to drive, I think I'd forgotten how much fun turbo charged cars with manual gearboxes can be!

Also snagged this license plate holder from someone on Facebook for free!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #217
Determined that 2018+ STI front dust shields bolt right on to GD knuckles (well 2 out of 3 bolts).. I think with a little persuasion and a new hole, the third one can be made to fit too.

Confirmed my own personal hatred of any drum brake variety

Got the axle nut undone only to find that the axle is wedged into the hub and hanging on like its life depends upon it

I consider this a bit of a milestone in the tear down ?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #218
Bye bye, crystal clear new cleaning fluid!

I'm planning on using these TurboXS WRX style fuel rails, but need to clean them up and run new lines but I need to know what kind of fitting this is.. I'm hopeful it is a -6 ORB but I really dont know much about them so... Any help?

An update wouldn't be an update without new parts showing up.. I picked up some old school Morrettes, they seem to be pretty rare nowadays (at least in decent condition) :) When I crashed my Catalunya, back in the day, I bought a set and ran them.. It was kind of like the big scoop thing, I was never really sold on them but they were/are somewhat different and I like different.. Anyway, I want to do something cool with them in the future.. BMW style halos most likely ?o_O

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
Managed to achieve another milestone tonight before the rain started coming down..

201 - 219 of 219 Posts