Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got a call from my dealer.
The person I spoke to said that my RS is part of a recall.
Something is wrong with the ECM(?) and the air-fuel ratio mixture or something like that. They want me to come in so that they can see if I need to get it repaired. 30 minutes to check it and if necessary another 45 minutes to repair it. also she said that if there is a problem, the check engine light will come on.
sorry for being vague about the details.

Can I get this looked at by any Subaru dealer? the one that
called is booked until May 28!

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Just a heads up - at one point there was some scam going where they borrowed your car for a week or two for testing.

So long as your local Subaru dealer can confirm it, then any dealer has to handle it - if it's a legitimate recall that's their job.

What year is your RS? Can you give us more details.

I personally don't take my care to the dealer unless something is broken. :D

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
i think he has a silver 01 RS...

well, if it's really a subaru recall, wouldn't they send letter to everyone? and if it's really a subaru recall then any subaru dealer can take care of you.

jz

·
Registered
119 Posts
Also if you have an account setup for your car on MySubaru.com the subaru owners site, you'd find info on recalls or technical item updates. If you don't have an account already I'd sign up. :)

Brandee

·
Registered
250 Posts
I just went to my dealer from some regular sevice and nothing was said, they usually check for recalls.

-Hey off topic, what was that scam with the WRX being borrowed?

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Wizard of O.Z. said:
-Hey off topic, what was that scam with the WRX being borrowed?
Some jokers were sending official looking letters saying "Bring us your car for extended emissions testing. We'll take it for 30 days, pay you some sum of money, and test it at our labs. Your car is part of a specific recall (or some mumbo jumbo.)

People who brught their cars in got screwed somehow - I forget exactly - either the cars were stolen or rented to others or just trashed... that kind of idea.

I never give my car to anyone, not even a valet!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I'm waiting to see if anybody else gets a call or a letter before I look into it because the car seems fine to me.
I signed up with mysubaru a few months ago.

This is strange indeed.

I should have asked for more details about the recall. I guess I was in shock because I waited until the last GC8 RS to come out before I got mine to avoid issues like this. you know to get all the bugs worked out :(

edit: just logged into mysubaru account. no mention of a recall

·
Registered
250 Posts
I guy asked me about some MAF sensor problems with the WRX's, so maybe they think you have a new model. I kindly told the guy my car isn't a WRX. :boxer:

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think only the 2001 RS's are affected.

This was posted in the other board.
He owns a black 2001 RS in WA.
Still seems strange.
===================================

Just walked in the door tonight and have a message on the machine from a woman at my dealership. They said the ECU needs to be reprogramed and it would take 2-3 hours to complete.

Ken

=====================================

·
Registered
2001 ImprezaRS2.5 Coupe White
1,513 Posts
Just got off the Phone with Subaru Dealer and there is a recall in effect it just came out this week. You will need to call your dealers service people and they will ask for the last eight of the VIN and they will let you know if you need to bring your car in.

The Service manager told me that they will have to do some checks and may need to re-program the ECU and may have to replace one of the Oxygen Sensors.

Luckily my girlfriend works at the dealership here in Phoenix and I will hopefully get it check soon.

Just wanted to dispell the rumors before they get to big...

:(

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Guess it's real after all.
This post was lifted from the other board posted by Ryaneatworld(Irvine Subaru)

=============================================
Here is some info on the TCM recall.

It applies to 2000-01MY Legacy and Outback 4EAT
2000-02MY Impreza Manual and 4EAT
2001-02MY Forester Manual and 4EAT

The ECM logic for the air/fuel ratio circuit may not be broad enough to accepft the signal parameters of the A/F ratio sensor. This is a software issue and has no impact on the vehicle emissions or driveability.
We will be contacting you and scheduling appointements to have your vehicle brought in to determine whether or not the recall is applicable. In addition, SOA will be sending letters out notifying owners that they may be affected by this recall.
If the car is affected the procedure requires a 45 minute operation to fix the problem.

Ryan

========================================

·
Registered
613 Posts
Mine is gonna go in tuesday to get that fixed, get it's 3rd front O2 sensor, and get the seat track fixed yet again. Hopefully this reprogramming will fix the whole blowing O2 sensors that my car has.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just got my letter on this. Funny thing, I've got the Brullen headers installed. Part of the installation, was to install electronics on both the front and rear O2 sensors to allieviate a CE light.

So if I get the ECM reprogrammed, will I remove the electronics for the header? I've got an email to Brullen, but has anyone else in this situation?

Slim,

·
Registered
613 Posts
Got my car back, she runs sooooooo much better now. All that running like shit problems that the dealer couldn't fix, are now fixed :D This is the first time in months I've been happy with my car. Plus I got to drive a brand new '03 Forester all day:D

·
Registered
2001 RS Blue ridge Pearl
52 Posts
Got this from Mysuabru.com

Program Number:
WWF89

Year of Recall:

Completed / Open:
This service has not yet been performed. You can call Subaru of Santa Cruz at (831) 420-1500 or schedule this service online to set an appointment today.

Program Title:
ECM Reprogramming

Summary:
Subaru of America, Inc. has determined that your Subaru may require reprogramming of the engine control module (ECM). The Engine Control Module software logic for the circuit that controls the front oxygen (air/fuel ratio) sensor in your vehicle may have been programmed incorrectly during production. As a result of this condition, the “CHECK ENGINE” light may illuminate without cause. It will be necessary to have the Engine Control Module software reprogrammed to correct this condition Please contact your Subaru dealer and schedule an appointment to have the Engine Control Module software checked and reprogrammed even if you have not experienced the condition described above. Your Subaru dealer will perform this repair at no cost to you. We regret any inconvenience this may cause you, but we have taken this action to ensure your vehicle’s proper performance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts