Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2.5 RS
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been really hot on the east coast here in MD/VA and my car has no pick up. I mean it didn't have any to begin with but now with all this heat there is even less. I am waiting for Larry Ganz to send my pipe but I don't think that is gonna help. Is there anyway to fix this problem for now? I mean if I get the pipe and put it on isn't the hot air gonna go straight into the engine?

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
The hot air will go to the engine, but the hot air in the fender will be cooler than the hot air under the hood, trust me! I'm sure the humidity out there doesn't help performance, either. Are you getting a high-flow air filter to go with the intake? If not, I highly recommend it, those two complememt each other very well.:D

·
The first ex-ex-moderator!
00 RS & GSX-R 750
1,446 Posts
Ok here's the FACTS. I have a ganzflow with a K&N in the box. I also have obd-2 for testing. If you are driving you will pull in more air with the Ganzflow and it will be slightly cooler by +- 10 degrees. Here's the bad part when you sitting the air in the intake gets extremely hotter that the plastic stock tubing. I have reached up to 150 degrees! The highest I reached with stock tubing is 123. I am working with different ideas for insulating the Ganz tube; header wrap, heat shields, wrappin gthe pipe in carbon fiber, things like that.

So I think heat is the culprit in your case, but just getting the ganz won't solve your problem.

·
Registered
2000 Blue Ridge Pearl Subaru I
294 Posts
Get the Ganzflow and wrap it with those beer can coozies. Great way to insulate and keep the heat from penetrating the tube steel.

·
Registered
32 Posts
could it just be that you are running your a/c so much that its really sucking the power from the engine to the a/c?

cause i know when u have the a/c on it makes the engine work harder on another task which = less power from the engine.

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
I insulated my GanzFlow with FrostKing foil-backed sef-adhesive foam. I don't have anything to measure temps, but I'm sure it works, and since it has the silver foil on the outside, it still looks pretty much like an uninsulated intake. Here's a pic:

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 Blue Ridge Pearl Subaru I
294 Posts
Yeah, I saw that Frost King stuff at Home Depot and thought it would work good too.

·
Registered
2.5 RS
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a K and N in the box already and I really don't run my AC that much. When I do the rpm's only goes up by one line but i do notice a difference. I am still waiting for the pipe to come in the mail.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
I am a refrigeration/air conditioning mechanic. Ok that said I used 1/2" wall by 3" rubberized pipe insulation and that has worked the best for me. You can pick this stuff up at Eagle hardware.. basicly any type of hardware do it yourself type of place. The brand of insulation that i liked the best was Armaflex.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts