Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

My answer to where to put my gauges MY93-97

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  I_H8_1.8 
#1 ·
I know it was a big question for me when I needed to install my gauges for my turbo install here is the solution I came up with. I think it came out quite well.
Joshua

See less See more
#4 ·
Dang man... You should do what I'm doing so you don't lose vents.

Since the Heat & A/C controls is din sized on the MY97 Impreza's lose the cigarette lighter, put your storage pocket there, put the controls below the cup holder and your deck of choice.. then put the gauges where the controls used to be.. That's my plan.

As for MY96 and newer you guys have more issues as your heat & A/C controls are 3 seperate dials below the vents... nicely sized for gauges though... find one of these din units, re-wire them down like described above and then plop in some gauges where the control dials used to be.

This is of course just my opinion. I should be relocating my controls this weekend.... then hopefully order one of my gauges soon so I can get it fitted and all.

I'm going non-convential with gauges.. I'm getting SPA gauges.

#5 ·
Three things

Thanks for the advice but that idea has alreayd been considered.
1. I don't like the heat to blow right on me I leave my car on defrost all the time.
2. You haven't looked at the climate controls closely enough yet have you? They are not all controlled by electical wires alone. There are three wire/cables that are manual controls for the fresh air/ recerculate feature and the vents or defrost. You will quickly find that this makes relocating the unit nearly impossible.
3. My deck of choice was the WRX 2 din changer because I am not a big autofile and I like the conveniance. The lighter and such has already been removed to make room for my AFR and that leaves me with no room anywhere else.

If you decide to try to relocate the controlls anyways let me know how it goes for you.
Joshua

#6 ·
I am relocating my controls and do know about the 3 arm/cables. Hopefully I'll tackle it this Friday.

The cable ends are adjustable so it shouldn't be too much effort.

I can relate on the vents.. I run mine on floor only in the winter, but like some cool air on my face in the summer.

Defrost robs some power.. I only use it when I have to :D

Thanks - Jon

#8 ·
Defrost robs power because it uses the AC compressor.

NICE SETUP! Did you make a new surround for it? If so, how did you do it? I thought about doing something like that with mine, but went a different route instead; I really like the heat when it gets cold! I went with two on the A-pillar like you did, and I put two more in mounting cups on the steering column cover. I only have 4 gauges, though. I've thought about making a pod to mount on my dash, but I'm not sure at this point. :)

#9 ·
No ac

I would have to disagree with you about the ac coming on automaticly with defrost. If you look in the owners manual it suggest use of the ac with the defrost. If you click over to defrost the ac compressor will not click on and the idle will not change. If you have the defrost on and the window is still a little foggy a quick push of the ac button clears it up. I sold Subarus for two years and always informed the customer of this. Some of the cars acutally have a little quote mentioning the suggestion of using ac with defrost. I believe the only Subaru that puts AC on with the defrost is the ones with automatic climate control.
As to the surround I used the exhisting one and just cut it up a little.
Joshua

#10 ·
Actually, my HVAC controls are different from yours; I don't have a separate button for the AC, so when I use the defrost, the compressor does come on. I guess I'll just say that defrost can rob power if you use it with AC!:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.