Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Well, I got a 1998 RS. The car is completely stock except for maybe an after market exhaust system that came with the car when i bought it. All i can say is that is the cat wasnt cleared out of anything....

Well, here goes. Yesterday I was racing one of my brother's friends. His car is an Audi A4 1.8 Turbo. Now from what i understnad i think that car has about 170 hp and weighs about 3400 lbs. Well, the race was basically a drag race... but when we launched, i was about half a car ahead of him untill about 3rd gear, then he just basically blows by me. Is it supposed to be that bad? Or you think its probably my driving, oh btw, my car is a stick...sooo..... and so was his....

What do you think about this? Does this seem right? Or is my car no chance for other cars around the same hp range?

Thanks for the replies!

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
When you both hit 3rd, your car was getting out of it's powerband, and his was getting into it's boost. The Audi probably has gearing that favors the higher speed stuff, too.

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
yea, freaking turbocharged cars and their 3rd gear. after 2nd gear there is enough load on the engine to really boost those suckers. well, as for our cars, you gotta get them on the launch (and you said you did get the A4 on the launch). i've learn to race only up to 3rd gear, hehe. :biggest: that way, when they speed pass me, they'll hear that i backed off the gas already. i raced my friend's 00 Integra GSR, and i was about 2 car lengths ahead, then when the god damn VTEC kicked in, it just freaking creeped up on me! and i was faster than my friend's FC TurboII, he runs like 14sec. 1/4 mile, and i took him for one street block. i only drag for less than 3 street blocks or in the rain.

·
Registered
80 Posts
yea... I hate our 3rd gear!!! I can take anyone off the line and all through out 2nd but the second I put it in 3rd.... evereyone catches up and/or passes. :curse: I hate 3rd!!!! And it doesnt get any better after that.

Kurt

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hmm...I bet a close-ratio gear set would make all the difference in the world. Might be a worthy investment.... That and making the car more aerodynamic by getting rid of the hood scoop and big front mouth.

·
Registered
MY99 GF4 EJ227 JDM 6spd
5,262 Posts
Wee need VTEC!!!! or err.....i mean AVC (active Valve Control) or whatever Subaru calls it..... according to what i have researched it puts out 170hp on EJ25 motor in Japan.

Better yet....we need turbo!! Our Gearing is great! AWD is the main factor....

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
As you add more power (mods) you'll find that 3rd will become fun, then as you go further into the mods 4th will get fun... 5th gear just sucks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ahaa.... well, i am just waiting for my funds to accumulate so that i can invest in a used wrx motor. Hopefully that will solve most of my car "ego" problems. Once that motor is mine, all will fall to the power of 2.0 turbos! Plus its legal in california!! Legal = good = no impounding our sweet 2.5 RS's = me happy!

·
Premium Member
2001, Subaru, Impreza 2.5 RS,
45 Posts
I hope to wait a year and a half (if the funds are there) and get me a STI motor to put in my sleeper RS. That will also be legal in California, and I wont be as fast as a WRX, but FASTER. Then I could :flame: a WRX.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts