Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Impreza 2.5 RS, Dark blue
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've always liked the bugeye Subarus, ever since I played Need for Speed Underground as a kid. So when the opportunity to grab one arose last summer, I took it.

I had bought my parents' Chevy Malibu (2005, a good car, but so boring) and was giving them payments on it to slowly pay it off instead of going to a dealership and having to pay outrageous interest.

Then one day, someone driving a truck rear-ended the car behind me, pushing his brand new Hyundai into the back of my Malibu, and totaling my car due to frame damage.

So, a week or two of dealing with insurance, rental cars, and frantic Craigslist searching, I found this 2002 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS, and I had to have it. For $5,000, it was a clear choice among all the run down Accords, Buicks, etc. that I had to choose from. So we went to check it out, and I drove it home that day.

Since then (August 2013) I've had a blast learning to drive manual, and have put over 11,000 miles on it. It was completely stock, no mods, a clean slate. I've been browsing around on here for a while, and now I'm ready to start my members journal!

----------------------------------------------------------

Plans:

Visual:
De-badge the trunk.
Get rid of the "egg yolk" in the headlights.
Sand and buff the headlights (get rid of yellowing).
Clear corners.
New (stock) rear bumper.
Rear bumper side skirts (Maybe).
New wheels (Sparco Assetto Gara, 18x8, Bronze)
Window tint.
Paint job/General scratch and dent repair.
Black mesh front grill.

Interior:
New Speakers/Head unit.
New clock (Original is broken).
Custom fit different switches (Just an idea).
New steering wheel (Maybe).
Bucket seats.

Exterior (Function):
Roof rack for bicycles.
Mudflaps (Maybe).

Performance:
Grounding kit.
Rear Sway-bar.
Coilovers.
Exhaust system.
Turbo? (Far future).
Cold Air Intake (Front mount).

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pre-mod Photos

Here's my car! I took the photos today, but I haven't done any mods so it's in basically the same condition as when I bought it!

-------------

The only problems I have with it, on the surface, are the odd spots where the previous owner tried to repair something (dent, scratch, I'm not sure) with some kind of putty or something and it's still there. That, and the cracking paint on the front bumper, and the sad state of the rear bumper. It's kind of hard to tell from the pictures, but the paint on the rear bumper is a completely different type of paint. It's color matches pretty well, but it's very obviously lower quality and not very glossy. The bumper itself seems warped and asymmetrical in the middle, and does not match up properly with the quarter panel near the bottom left of the driver's side tail light.

Any guesses as to what they used to try to cover up dings/how to deal with it are much appreciated!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First mod: De-badge!

Decided to go ahead and try de-badging my trunk! I've always liked the clean look with no badges, so I went down to the hardware store and got a bottle of Goo Gone, got some fishing line from my garage, and here is what emerged!

Before:

After:

There is a bit of an outline where the letters used to be, but I'm hoping that will come out with a good wash and wax. However, there is a bit of what looks like paint chipping around where the last "U" was, is this something I should be concerned about?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rust Concerns

So when I got the car, I knew it had a little bit of rust, but it didn't concern me too much. The only signs of it that I can find (I haven't looked terribly hard) are on the bracket holding the drivers side seat in, and around the gas cap.

I've done a little searching around and I've heard of other people having rusted fuel filler necks, and I was wondering if anyone could tell just from these exterior photos whether that's what's happening on my car.

My thoughts are that the rust directly around the filling area would mean filler neck, but the little spot on the edge of the gas cap area is probably the quarter panel.

As for the seat, I've always thought it would be cool to have racing style bucket seats, so I'll deal with that when I eventually order some.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts