Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our cars are great for all-around driving pleasure, but I've always thought that rumbling monster muscle cars have a certain appeal. If I ever decide to start a muscle car project (NOT as a replacement for the RS), it will be a 66-67 Chevy Nova. Jet black, chrome wheels, tubbed-out rearend with huge tires, big V8, and, of course, a completely obnoxious-sounding exhaust to provide the roar under acceleration.
If any of you are into muscle cars at all, what kind of project would you do?
tasteycow

·
Registered
161 Posts
My brother has a car that almost fits your discription perfectly. 67 Nova, 454, old Chrome Kregger SS rims, black and pretty much all original other than the engine and tranny.

Myself I think I'd take a '68 Stang or a Mako convertable

·
Registered
62 Posts
My dad has a 68 mustang sitting in the carport right now. Currently he's saving to get a new engine, this will be a complete frame up rebuild, so first step is put away $15,000 to do body/engine and then go from there. It should be cool in the end, he's all about straight line with this car. If I was building a big muscle car It would probably be a 69 camaro. I always loved the looks of that car. They are kinda common though.

·
Registered
2001 STM Sedan
455 Posts
i have the plans drawn out for a 68 Camaro RS/SS with a pretty killer 358 Cu In SBC with 850 horse and about 730 tq w/ a redline near 11k :D also a jerico 5 speed, chevy 12bolt with 4.11 gears, 4 wheel brembo discs, 12 pt cage and so on. It'll be a monster but it'll cost damn near 40k to do. Someday it'll start ;)

H

·
0 Posts
When I sell the house and move I have every intention of building a FFR 427 roadster. The cost of the kit went up another grand last October, yet another reason why I should have sold a year ago.

But I've already got my rumbly v8 truck. And my neighbor's rumbly truck. And my other neighbors '01 cummins rumbly truck. And the guy behind my neighbor's house's mystery rumbly vehicle. :)

Money permitting, I'd collect cars like women collect shoes.
I want a pickup, my RS, a 427 roadster, a Jeep, an old 60's Caddy, a 60's Mustang, a 60's Chevelle, and a '69 Camaro w/ Chevy 302. :D

H

·
0 Posts
Oh yes, and mighty tasty, cow friend. :)

www.factoryfive.com

It uses some parts from a Mustang 5.0 donor car, but the majority of the structure is their own work. The 88(?)-93(?) 5.0s are a dime a dozen.. found easily for a grand or two in OK running condition, around $5k for one in good shape that you can drive around without being totally embarrassed to be seen in. :)

Or you can just order the motor, tranny, and odds and ends from Ford. :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
On the 5.0 note you can get the 5.0 HO's for under $200 in good working order (note not needing to be rebuilt yet) A lot of the kids that drove those 'Stangs tended to destroy the car before they could kill the engine and tranny's

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My dad's last car was a Superformance Cobra. He started with a windsor v8 but then changed to a larger displacement motor. I'm going to guess it was a 427, because memory fails me at the moment. The last time I was home, he still had the first motor and that was an F'n riot.
tasteycow

·
Registered
143 Posts
WOW! I never realized how cheap some of those kits are. The Factory Five looks nice... and wrecked donor Mustangs are a dime a dozen. I'm gonna have to show that to my friend that loves the Cobra :)

Still... if I were to ever build a kit car, it would be a Lotus Seven replica. I see TONS of Cobra's at the car shows they have around here... but I've only seen one Lotus Seven to date... and that was at the Superformance booth.

H

·
0 Posts
Yeah... Gotta love the Cobra kit cars. :) With STOCK 5.0 stuff they'll wax a WRX, on dry pavement anyway. ;)
Unfortunately they had to raise the price this year due to inflation... up $1000. But that's not bad because they've been selling the kit for years without jacking the price at all.

H

·
0 Posts
Oh, to get an idea of performance... Take a Mustang 5.0. Pretty quick car in it's own right. Now remove 1000 lbs. Dang.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There's certainly something to be said for the Daytonas. I still prefer the roadster, though. Mashing down the loud pedal and belting out a Sgt. Hartman "AAAGGHHH!!!" with the sidepipes roaring at the PT Cruiser next to you at a stoplight is priceless. Oh, that's a Full Metal Jacket reference, if you missed it.
tasteycow

H

·
0 Posts
Hah. I don't have $30k to drop on the Daytona. :)

Ooh. But I found a 92 YJ 5-speed 4.0L for a good (inexpensive) price.. might have to trade the W250 in on it. I've been looking for another Jeep for ages.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts