Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 WRX Wagon
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well to start off, I just bought my '01 RS about two months ago and so far I am very pleased. About two weeks ago I put on an OBX catback exhaust and the other day I put on Borla headers. Even before I put both of these on, I have noticed a popping noise (which is random) coming from what seems like the clutch. I will hear the noise either when I let off the gas pedal or after I shift and let off the clutch.

Fast forward to tonight...I was driving around with one of my buddies and launched the car at about 3500-4000 rpms (I slipped the clutch, didnt dump it). A few minutes later when I pulled into a parking lot to drop him off, I noticed that in 1st and 2nd gears when I'm at like 3000 rpm's if I let off of the gas pedal (not braking), the car will jerk when it slows down (which is normal, I think), but there is a loud creaking noise coming from right underneath me.

I'm afraid that I messed my tranny up and need some help as to what my problem could be! Thanks!

·
Registered
BRP ver5 RSTi, Beater Leggy
370 Posts
If the pop sounds like it's coming from the mid-rear of the car on a hard shift or decel in gear, it's well known to be the rear diff or driveshaft thumping up against the frame. Pretty common and nothing to worry about in our scoobs. Everyone has suggestions on helping to eliminate it (harder diff bushings, braces etc.) but usually that means you deal with more cabin noise from the stiffer bushings.

These cars just have noisy drivelines in general - you have to realize how many more axles/driveshafts the car has compared to fwd or rwd and all the slop between components it can have because of it. Subaru knows this, so they equip the car with soft ass rubber bushings everywhere to help deaden the noise. Mine with LW flywheel and Group N mounts all around make all sorts of noise on decel/shift that I just learned to live with. Yours might have upgraded mounts/bushings from the previous owner - I know I had a previously upgraded Group N pitch stopper and didn't realize, so I went and bought another one :curse:

Generally, I think it shouldn't worry you too much so long as the car drives fine and goes in gear without grinding or struggling. Changing tranny and rear diff fluids can make a pretty drastic difference too if you wanna try that.

·
project blackbird.
'01 RS, '81 Fiat Spider
3,396 Posts
I think the OP is referring to a clack noise that comes from the trans area when letting off the clutch after a shift or when letting off the gas when cruising.

I have exactly the same noise coming from my trans in those situations-- it is common in Subaru gearboxes from our era when they get older. I've read that it's the clutch pressure plate that actually makes that noise, but either way it's nothing you need to worry about.

As for the creaking noise underneath you, I'm not sure. Maybe the rear diff moving in the subframe?

·
Registered
2002 WRX Wagon
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to both of you for your input. And yes, stoke, that is what I meant.

I guess I'm not as worried about the popping noise since that has been going on since the beginning, but I am definitely worried about the creaking noise.

Any other input would be much appreciated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts