Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995 1.8L Impreza Coupe
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent the better part of today trying to find the answer to whether or not we can swap multifunction switches between years or not.
Essentially, I have a '95 and one of the previous owners of my vehicle cut the horn and airbag wires when they swapped from a stock steering wheel to a quick release setup. I would like to swap the multifunction switch to repair the cut wires, ideally with one of a '98+ so that it can have the (more) adjustable windshield wiper speeds. Are they all compatible with one another? Do the plugs from an early '95 work with one from a later year GC? The only information I can find is for swapping the entire steering column (which I'm trying to avoid). Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Anything wiring related I would ask iWire. They can probably tell you everything you need to know. Having recently done my dash harness, the steering column electronics are not that difficult to deal with.

·
Registered
'95 GF6
39 Posts
I believe 1998+ switches do not come with a pigtail like 1995 does, but have a newer style plug molded into the housing. Anyway, if you want adjustable wiper speed, there is a switch from LS/LSi Legacy models of the same vintage that will plug in. Sorry I don't remember the p/n (sold the car in 2017; came upon this thread because it was "trending"), but I posted the information on NASIOC. There is a comprehensive thread covering the wiper switch swap. You can even get a switch specified for a wagon and add JDM rear wiper to the coupe if you can find the parts, but that would be quite a project.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts