Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
HERO DEEP!!!
Lt. Dan the 2000 OBS
758 Posts
well I guess as official parts getter/deliverer and photographer as the Chucktown Subacrew I will update Tom's journal.

Out with the old crappy ugly sedan wing....

In with the much superior coupe wing!

·
Premium Member
01 STM RS Sedan & MORE!
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So I've had the Conti ExtremeContact DW's on the car since February and I LOVE THEM. So it figures that I run over something and put a hole in one of them.

Yuck. So now I get to sort out warranty stuff with TireRack. Hopefully that will be taken care of soon.

Hearing my dilemma, GotJ brought me some (dirty) UK 17's with (flat spotted) Michelin's. I can live with the flatspot noise, and I'll give them a wash so they get returned cleaner than when I got them. GotJ is a total G. :cool:

Here's a shot with the UK's.

No shots on the side of the interstate because deathtrap. No shots of the swapping of wheels in my parking lot because it was 100° with no shade. GotJ made it happen in like 5 minutes. w00t.

So here's a rundown of what's still pissing me off, things I need to install, etc.

-Initial Purchase Problems (cont.)-

• External head gasket leaks... continuing, but not out of control. No problems with overheating even during the hottest parts of the summer. I picked up a spare set of 251 heads from a Legacy in the u-pick junkyard back in the spring with mattonthewater's help. need to clean them up and take them to the shop to get decked, then purchase the gasket kit. I will also do a timing service while the engine's out.
  • Starter hang-up. Hasn't been an issue since the warm weather rolled in. Keeping it on the list as it hasn't been resolved, though.
  • Cluster lights go out when fogs turn off. Ain't care right now.
  • Have an A/C Belt as well as an idler pulley, which I need to put on soon. The A/C Compressor clutch is making noise. Need to replace the compressor at some point, but trying to wait until it cools off this Fall.
  • 4EAT slow to shift 1-2 when cold. Not really a problem this summer. Once the car gets up to temp, no problems at all.
  • AEM Intake. Still want to get rid of it for a stock setup. Had a member PM me a few days ago, but haven't heard back since. Apparently 2.5 Fozzy airboxes are the same, so I'll keep an eye out at the u-pick. Some of the other JY's have them, so that's an option, too.
  • Lighting: Decided to keep the JDM Tails & Clear turn signals. I picked up some yellow fog tint from a local GD guy. Need to buff the fogs before I apply the tint.
  • Bumper vents painted black. Still want to bring them back to orange.
-Stuff I did-

• Got tires. Mentioned above.
  • V6 Grille & Coupe Wing. I actually bought a white coupe wing from a member here, but then mattonthewater found me a silver wing locally. WTF.
  • Fixed my center vents. Never mentioned it before, but the adjustment was screwed up and they couldn't be directly effectively (at my face). Many thanks to GotJ for that.
  • Went from an STi catback that came with the car to a Stromung Dual Tip. Have a leak, and it pops a lot. :unamused: Pretty bummed, since it's the exhaust I wanted. I'm not sure if it's because it's too big, or because the numbnuts that did all the mods before removed one of the cats and replaced it with crappy thin-wall mild steel. I also got a Hayward & Scott exhaust from mattonthewater. After the headgaskets are fixed, I might get some UEL's and see what I like the most.
  • Had a problem with my right rear brake caliper sticking... wore the pads out on that side. That was back in May, and I haven't had any problems since.

-Other stuff I need to do/Parts I need to install-

• Cusco Rear Tower bar needs installation. Got a GD Cusco front bar by mistake. Looking to sell that then grab a V6 Carbon front bar.
  • Power Folding Mirrors from mattonthewater. Need to get them painted and installed.
  • Flat fuel door from Jo5hua. Need to get it painted and installed.
  • GotJ has a black stars badge for me. Need to get it, clean it up and put it on my V6 grille.
  • Mattonthewater snagged me some 4 pot front brakes. My brakes are okay for a while so I don't want to replace them until they need it. In the meantime, I need to powdercoat and rebuild the calipers. Also need to get the pads/rotors and stainless lines. Debating doing all the bushings in the front end at the same time.
  • Re-do the cheapo grounding kit BS.
  • Adjust the WRX rear seat back. Just needs some fiddling around to get it to look flush near-as-dammit.
-Plans for the car-

• Suspension/Brakes: Want to do 4/2's with stainless lines, maybe a master cylinder brace, too. Rear sway + endlinks? Fender braces?
  • POWA~~~!: Contemplating a JDM EJ205 swap with a Sportshift 4EAT. Found a guy that got the sportshift stuff to work on his FXT, so I may need to contact him for guidance if I run into trouble. Apparently, all of the inputs/outputs are the same to the TCU with the addition of in/out for the shifter switches. Torquemada Lite mod.
  • Exterior: Really want the Subaru trunk badging. I'm currently debadged thanks to previous owner. Mattonthewater mentioned that I could have his badging if I can pull it off... we'll see. New decklid badging is like 70 bucks from Subaru. I'm not above using my sawzall to debadge a junkyard Forester. Also going to do Accord rear spats once it cools down enough to go to the JY and pull some off.
  • Interior and other misc: Want some Supertones. Stock wimpy horn doesn't cut it. Want a trailer hitch and roof racks because more active lifestyle mod. Going to hack a better cupholder into the center console somehow, too.

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,852 Posts
SO many honorable mentions!! :banana:

also, the uk's looks AWESOME on the STM (which i dislike). you should buy some from someone who has a spare set or four. ;)

also more, i still have the fuzzy fozzy top dash compartment in the correct black color.. :D

·
HERO DEEP!!!
Lt. Dan the 2000 OBS
758 Posts
SO many honorable mentions!! :banana:

also, the uk's looks AWESOME on the STM (which i dislike). you should buy some from someone who has a spare set or four. ;)

Hells yeah :cool:

I think silvers would look good.... I wouldn't mind going back to the gunmetals.... and I have silvers....

·
Premium Member
01 STM RS Sedan & MORE!
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Yeah, the gunmetal looked great on your OBS. I think silver would look better on my STM car.

I'll consider going with silver UK's when the conti's have reached their end of life on my 6 spokes. I'd rather pick up a swap vs spend $$ on a new wheel and tire combo right now

21 - 40 of 47 Posts