Discussion Starter #1
People have been asking, so here is where to get them from:

Brian McKinney - Parts Manager
LANGSTON SUBARU
4916 William Penn Hwy
Monroeville, PA 15146
1-877-563-4WDS

The MRT Site: http://www.mrtrally.com.au/

The last quote I got for this complete exhaust was $583 from Langston Subaru. :checkit:

And a picture:

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO 6spd
4,229 Posts
I've heard heard bad things about it, like it rusts and throws CEs.

·
Meany Head
2000 RSC
10,235 Posts
It's a mild steel system, so yeah, it will rust. But no more or less than a regular exhaust system. It is atleast aluminum coated and then painted, so it should stand up not too bad. Mind you, I live in a dry desert, so I'm not complaingin. As for the CEL. Yep, you'll get one of them if you have a MY00+. But there is a fix for that too. Go to http://www.ponyexpressperformance.com
and have a look at the MIL Eliminator. If you do a search on the i-club for it, you'll get some good info.

my .02 worth. For $500 for a complete system... Thats great bang for my buck. I'm getting one.

·
Registered
2001 Silverthorn Coupe
144 Posts
In Mustang land, that is called an H-pipe. The ideal is an X-pipe that is two bends siamesed in the middle for very smooth flow. The H-pipe makes more power than a dual exhaust with no connections (and the x-pipe makes the most of all). The purpose is to equalize exhaust pulses.

I don't ever remember seeing a test with either design on an exhaust system that converges into one, with the exhaust with no connection of the secondaries. It may have gained a little bit, but I think that it supports the header as a primary purpose in life. Maybe it kills a little noise, with out affecting exhaust flow at all??? Thats a nice benifit. On Mustangs, the pipes have a smoother sound. They seem to be a bit quieter, and have less tones that will make your ears bleed. Probably due to the exhaust pulses being split. On the MRT exhaust, the pipe meets again, but the pulse has to travel farther through the H-pipe, so it takes longer to travel to where the pipes converge, taking a different time to get there, it has an opertunity to blend with another pressure wave creating a pressure wave that was simular to the one that left the cylinders. Effectivly doing nothing but taking longer to do it. Or the pulses could fall between each other in the pipe. How much this changes with RPM, I don't know. MRT may not either, they may have just put it on and got lucky.

16 HP is pretty good. Better than the Borla, but it is a superior design already, and that is for the complete system, the borla probably had to be tested with the stock cat. We all know that a good cat back is worth a good chunk of HP as well. Knowing all of that, the H-pipe design of the MRT probably doesn't hurt it, but it doesn't make a significant ammount of HP either.

ION performance is suposed to do a header shoot out between Brullen, Borla, and MRT. We will have answers then. (If ion does an honest job at it, and not use the stock cat and muffler with the Borla, or a straight pipe for an exhaust on the brullen. They have an interest in seeing Brullen win.)

EDIT: This is all assuming that the tube is indeed a pathway. You could call MRT and ask, I think they would tell you straight, there would be no reason not to answer you , or tell a lie. There isn't much of a way to tell if you don't have access to one of those little cameras on a long stiff wire, other than drilling a hole in the cross piece near the joint and seeing if you can feel the wall of the other pipe in the place where the hole should be.

Greg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Section 8 said:
In Mustang land, that is called an H-pipe. The ideal is an X-pipe that is two bends siamesed in the middle for very smooth flow. The H-pipe makes more power than a dual exhaust with no connections (and the x-pipe makes the most of all). The purpose is to equalize exhaust pulses.

The MRT's crosspipe is open, I checked mine with a bent wire...

·
It's not a GC
07 WRX Wag0nz
9,387 Posts
So is this a Turbo exhaust or could it used for an N/A as well any one know the gains? what about a Cat? I see it is together is it not?

·
Registered
77 Posts
thats only for N/A cars. the whole system was dynoed by an i-club member for 14whp gain. a vender also dynoed it at 15whp iirc.

·
Registered
77 Posts
yea, definitely the best flowing exhaust system currently available for the RS.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
The O2 bung must not be visible from that angle. That's a really good design they have. I don't know why I never looked at it before.:rolleyes:

The H pipe is supposed to help scavenge from both sides to improve torque by smoothing out the peaks over the RPM range.

This looks very similar to a local's setup by a muffler shop. The stock exhaust flanges were retained and converged just after the first bend. Less than optimum O2 placement and now shotty replacement of the front O2 is causing CELs for him.

The sound is very good and the gain is substantial, from what he says and how his autocross times have dropped.

What does the MRT system run without a muffler? Who's got specs on the pipe diameters, and length to collector, etc...:devil:

I could build one of those....pretty easily....:devil:

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
Jay, Don's O2 sensor was in the H-pipe and got no real air flow. I'm look at redoing my setup but I've yet to find out where the dag-gone O2 sensor is on the MRT. If its after the y, does it have a pigtail extension? If its before the y, which bank is it in? etc.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts