Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking on the MRT web site (www.mrtrally.com) the other day and was drawn to the Anti-lift kit. Sounds interesting. Has anybody installed them on their cars? Does it just sound like it does alot or is it actually pretty affective and useful. I'm really into suspension doo-dads like that and enjoy corner carving more then bragging how powerful my heap is. MRT sounds like a very focused Rally Team\parts devolper and their parts look and sound beefy and reliable. Any experience with any other products they have would interest me too. Post away! FYI - I also posted this over at i-club

Any info is great! Thank you peoples!

Christopher Hales
Salt Lake City, UT

:)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Christopher,

MRT products are well researched and excellent quality products. My Dealer is an authorized MRT agent and we looked around at many different vendors before choosing MRT. We found that their line of products was not only one of the most comprehensive but also offers a choice for many of the same type of components.

The Anti-Lift Kit is a Whiteline produced component which changes the caster angle. Whiteline ( www.whiteline.com.au )says on thier site: "Caster - There's no such thing as too much positive caster for performance driving. It also means crisper more precise steering with no adverse effects on tyre wear. A true performance bargain. Adjustable radius rods, caster adjusting bushes all strive to deliver major handling improvements."

Also check out MRT's site for other enhancements www.mrtrally.com

Hope this helps
Troy

·
Registered
796 Posts
The Anti-Lift kit is one of the best modifications you can do to your car short of a full blown upgrade of your struts and springs. I would rate it right up there with a sway bar upgrade.

·
Registered
'00 2.5RS coupe (9/01-1/04)
236 Posts
I rode in a Whiteline dealer's car, it had almost every suspension part Whiteline makes for the old-style impreza, plus 215/40R17 tires (kuhmo 712, which aren't that great).

It was a thing of beauty.

Ride was smooth & barely felt bumps (like stock almost), but it was very flat on the corners, and seemed to handle very neutrally.

He said that the anti-lift kit made a huge difference, just like the sway bars. I think I need an anti-lift kit.

-scott-

Silver 2K RS Coupe
1,864 Posts
Anti-Lift options

Anti-Lift also gives you Anti-Dive. The car stays flat on acceleration and braking also. Essential for a performance suspension!
I was told by a succesful SCCA rally car builder/driver that the castor pieces from a Forester are the same dimensions as the whiteline- the difference is they have soft rubber bushings instead of poly. Maybe a few dollars spent on a junked Forester's pieces is worth trying?

·
Registered
392 Posts
there is a HUGE post over at scoobynet about the alk and it's actual effects. If your interested in what it actually does it's a good read. But maybe confusing even though everyone agree's it's a great mod.
robert

·
Registered
MY00 2.5RS(RIP)02WRXWagon
86 Posts
Whiteline's Anti Lift Kit is an amazing little piece of engineering. I can't rave enough about this thing. Its easily worth twice as much for the amount of benefits it gives.

If you don't understand its function here's a brief description. The ALK changes the actual mounting point of the front lower control arm. This geometric change adds some static castor and the hard poly bushing maintains the alignment due to less deflection compared to the soft rubber OEM bushing, when turning etc. Anyway, this geometric change and stiffer bushing help resist the car's nose's tendency to lift upon accelaration. The biggest benefit one will see is the reduction in power understeer when applying the throttle in a corner. Normally when you get on the throttle coming out of a corner the car starts to understeer as the nose lifts and the front tire lose traction. With the ALK the nose stays down when you give it the gas, the tires stay planted and your car just just carves an arc. If you give it too much gas it will eventually understeer, but at much higher exit speeds than before.

When I first installed the ALK and took the first left hand corner (2nd gear about 3k rpms) I floored it and almost ran into the sidewalk on my left. I had been used to turning in much more due to the usual understeer. This time I actually had to wind out a bit because the front was just holding the line I gave it. It was amazing. The I took a fast sweeper that I normally would take at about 45-50mph and then the front would scrub and I would have to back off. This time i just floored it through and had an exit speed of about 60-65mph. The front just stayed planted. I did not want to push the limits as this was a public road but I was just amazed by the traction i had.

another benefit is better steering feel.

One problem that i had in the streets around San Francisco was that the normal durometer bushing was a bit harsh. I expected it to be stiffer and harsher but it was beyond my tolerance level for NVH. A few of us talked to Whiteline and within a few months they developed a "Comfort Bushing" that is close to stock durometer. I put that on and it felt great. I still had the geometric change of ALK but none of the harshness. It was a good compromise.

anway, i can recommend it wholeheartedly, without hesitance. i now have a WRX wagon and it was the first suspension mod I did along with the bigger rear bar.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I did springs, strut tower braces, sway bars, sway bar links, and the anti-lift kit on my car. The anti-lift kit is my favorite by far. That thing is a godsend. Get it!

Silver 2K RS Coupe
1,864 Posts
I just had to chime in again because I'm so stoaked with the ALK.

It's right up there with the 22mm rear bar as my favorite mod. I've heard some well respected Subaru tuners dog the ALK and the only reason I can imagine they don't recomend it is because they never tried it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
How difficult would an ALK be to install compared to a sway bar or something like that? I'm researching some of the cheaper mods in case I decide to do them later on down the road and the suspension is one of the area's really want to improve. I'm a novice at this kind of stuff, I could handle a sway bar installation but definately not a strut replacement or anything like that. Do you think this mod would be difficult to do?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well, I'd say it was more difficult than a swaybar but lots easier than swapping suspension. Go to Scoobymods and check out the install documentation and see if its something you can handle. I could do it myself though someone to help is not a bad idea when pulling the control arm down to remove and install the bushing.

Here are a couple of tips. the bolts that hold the actual rear control arm bushing are really torqued on there, so you will need a breaker bar. An impact wrench can't quite get to a couple of the bolts. Its also important that the kit be installed with the stickers facing up against the body. Left means drivers side, right means passenger side. Use lots of the provided lube on all bushing surfaces.

I've installed 4 sets and its not too bad actually. I did my front sway bar and ALK on my WRX in 1 1/2 maybe 2 hours? And there is a lot more to do on the WRX.

Look into the comfort bushing version if your roads are rough and you have a low tolerance for NVH.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks for the tips, I'll check out the docs at Scoobymods on it. I'd definately get the comfort bushing if I put in a ALK because my car is a daily driver and I don't want my fiance complaining everytime we hit a bump. ;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Watsonpa said:
Thanks for the tips, I'll check out the docs at Scoobymods on it. I'd definately get the comfort bushing if I put in a ALK because my car is a daily driver and I don't want my fiance complaining everytime we hit a bump. ;)
Yeah, the comfort bushing does make a big difference. Its pretty close to OEM. She won't notice a thing. But you will in the turns.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
never tried the kit but felt i should throw in a wee warning. if you plan on auto-xing (esp. in even a pseudo-serious fashion) then this is a mod NOT to do. It puts you straight into Prepared. not good.

I had been used to turning in much more due to the usual understeer.
ok, i can't let this one go :devil: if you're understeering, adding more steering input is going to make the front end slide worse, not better. try braking more coming up to the corner or trail braking into it. if you're in a corner and it starts understeering, use less gas and/or unwind the wheel a bit. counter-intutive yes, but very useful.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I looked over at Vivid Racing's site and they have two models of the Whiteline ALK listed, according to the descriptions it appears the only difference is the hardness of the bushing. I'm assuming the standard one comes with the comfort bushing and the racing one comes with the harder bushing but I would probably call first before I ordered anything.

This mod is actually looking like a good contender for my first one, it's cheap (standard is $139) and relatively easy to install from what I read at ScoobyMods. I was originally thinking that a rear sway bar would be first but since I'd want to do the droplinks at the same time that would run closer to $300. Thanks for the tips and information everyone.

P.S. I doubt I'll be doing any autocross anytime soon so that's no big deal. If I ever got the money to mod the thing for racing then I could probably afford to go back to a stock part anyway. ;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
10th Warrior said:
ok, i can't let this one go :devil: if you're understeering, adding more steering input is going to make the front end slide worse, not better. try braking more coming up to the corner or trail braking into it. if you're in a corner and it starts understeering, use less gas and/or unwind the wheel a bit. counter-intutive yes, but very useful.
You're absolutely right as far as using proper driving techniques to circumvent the understeer found in this car. My point is that, driving technique aside, you can stay on the throttle longer, harder or earlier in a turn due to the ALK. In the end, if you still are wild on the throttle in a turn, it will understeer, but at a higher speed than with stock. All of the techniques you mentioned are still applicable to this car. This kit does not magically transform this car into a power overteering beast!;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
10th Warrior said:
never tried the kit but felt i should throw in a wee warning. if you plan on auto-xing (esp. in even a pseudo-serious fashion) then this is a mod NOT to do. It puts you straight into Prepared. not good.
By the way, if you do autox and still want to use this kit, Whiteline produces a motorsports version of the ALK that is silver with a totally uncompliant black bushing. Looks very stock. But I'm sure this version is just about aesthetics and not cheating!

Silver 2K RS Coupe
1,864 Posts
Arnie said:
By the way, if you do autox and still want to use this kit, Whiteline produces a motorsports version of the ALK that is silver with a totally uncompliant black bushing. Looks very stock. But I'm sure this version is just about aesthetics and not cheating!
This may be the ALK I got from Dale Teague. It's silver with black poly, and it IS pretty harsh. No deflection though! I originally thought it was just an older model sitting on the shelf, as some of the older ALK's I've seen on cars are natural aluminum color.

BTW, There is an auction on Ebay motors for an ALK, it says it's for a WRX, but maybe they are the same for GC8? Last time I looked it was at $50 or so.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts