Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Moving to PA

617 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  rsftw 
#1 ·
I move to PA the first or second week in November? I'm looking to get a place around King of Prussia since thats where I'll be working. But can any of you recomend places to stay away from, or any cheaper places to live, since rent over this is like 200 more a month then what I pay here in Michigan. But right now I'm looking at Phoenixville, but I'm still looking. Also,not to sound like a dumbass but whats the deal on emissions testing, do I need to have it ASAP or will I be able to hold off, for a little. Also how does a swap work with emmisions testing, will it cause any problems. Sorry I dont know much about these fancy emissions test, since here in michigan we have way to many ******** to care.

#2 ·
KOP can be expensive on rent. I know two members that live there- Murray and Dumbuglydragon
Pheonixville, Norristown and Conshohocken are all relatively close- just watch the neighborhod you move into if you like your car or it's componenets.

As far as emmisions go, it's a bitch. Once you have transferred your plates to PA, you have 30 days form emmisions and state inspection. Since you have a Subaru you are dyno exempt. They do the emmisions testing before the actual inspection. Basically they hook up a scan tool to the OBD-2 port and check for CEL's. You can have no CEL's on or pending. Then they check the readniness of all the sensor systems. All of them must be in the ready position. I think that you may have one not ready IIRC. So you can't just turn off your light with a scantool and then think you're ready for the emmisions test.

I have a scan tool if you want to try it out before hand.

#3 ·
Bump...

Looking for some more input. I move in the middle of November to PA, and I was down around the West Chester and KOP area last weekend looking for places. Found a place in Phoenixville, relatively cheap, compared to the rest of the area. I only saw it during the day, and you really can't tell much about a place in the day. So I'm wondering is it a pretty safe area? I'm not going to get shanked for the change in my pocket or anything? I'm not going to come out one morning and see my car sitting on just the rotors? Anyway the apartments are Fairway greens Apartments pretty smack dap in the middle of Phoenixville.

And thanks Rally fast for the earlier input.

#6 ·
yea i go to school down in that area (Deleware County) Im from northern PA so i am also from the country and its ok down in the Chester area but 1000x worse than the country. Alot of Subys tho

#7 ·
I just bought my first house in the Skippack/Collegeville area about 4-5 months ago. It really isn't too bad. I've heard KOP isn't THAT bad of an area. But you're also close to Norristown which is meh. If your moving into Phoenixville, get ready for some traffic on 422 en route to work :p Collegeville is a fairly quiet/nice area, aside from Ursinus College, but it's not like a Penn State. Possibly look into Limerick/Royersford for places to live also. It'll be expensive in Montgomery County :(

Edit: Maybe even Blue Bell or Schwenksville also.

#8 ·
I live in King of Prussia for 4 years aleady. Great area. If I saw this early, My parents could had rent you a house in the area. Norristown is not too good but it is like a bridge away so it does not really effect king of prussia that much. Just those DAMN RICERS!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.