Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1995 L
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we found a sweet house in Solana (sp?) Beach-area, and we're planning on moving after the school years' over.

We need to get out of this miserable AZ heat, and also need to be closer to the boat so we can be more hands-on with the running of the buisness, and maybe expand into different areas.

But now I'm starting to wonder WTF I'm gonna do about getting the Subi on the streets over there? :_sure:

Anyone got any insight to what I'm gonna have to do,(If it's even possible), to get it legal on the streets? It's not a DD, I drive it a few times a week and drive it to the track, that's about it. It doesn't get a lot of miles put on it. It passes emissions here in AZ, and I still have a factory catted DP for the visual inspection.

·
Registered
94 Mini Cooper
832 Posts
John i say just take it to a smog guy and see what happens really. the cars already legal in AZ

·
Registered
1995 L
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What exactly do you have on your car?

JDM Ver. 8 Drivetrain, Turbo-back exhaust, Walbro FP, and a Utec. Tried to keep the Powertrain as stock as possible, to make upkeep and maintenance easy. It's got a few weight reductions and some suspension mods. ;)

It's a very nice riding car and easy to live with around town, But it's a lot of fun on the track. Looking forward to roads with curves, the road map of phoenix looks like a grid, they're very boring.

·
Registered
1995 L
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I used to be a Mechanic for a while worked on everything from Diesels in Semi's for Ryder, Lexus, Land Rovers, and VW's at a dealership, Racecars (Subaru, Nissan, Mitsu, etc.) at a shop, all to fund my Subaru builds. in the process of building my Subi's, I messed up my driving record and now it's kinda hard to get a good paying job turnin' wrenches. :( I dislocated my thumb a while back and took a break from work to heal and do re-hab. Then I got my girlfriend Pregnant and I've been taking care her and her other 5 kids since then. I was in the Coast Guard outta High School and grew up on Oahu, So I've always been into the Ocean.
Now I've started going back to College to get an Engineering Degree of sorts; I'm contemplating being a High School Shop teacher someday. :)
As for the boat, it's a 52' Hatteras we use for Nomad Sport Fishing run out of Dana Landing, Right across the entrance to Sea World. It's getting worked on right now, a couple of new transmissions and Turbos as well as some other goodies, also going to re-design the main cabin interior once all the engine work is done.

·
Registered
99 RS-T
267 Posts
I used to be a Mechanic for a while worked on everything from Diesels in Semi's for Ryder, Lexus, Land Rovers, and VW's at a dealership, Racecars (Subaru, Nissan, Mitsu, etc.) at a shop, all to fund my Subaru builds. in the process of building my Subi's, I messed up my driving record and now it's kinda hard to get a good paying job turnin' wrenches. :( I dislocated my thumb a while back and took a break from work to heal and do re-hab. Then I got my girlfriend Pregnant and I've been taking care her and her other 5 kids since then. I was in the Coast Guard outta High School and grew up on Oahu, So I've always been into the Ocean.
Now I've started going back to College to get an Engineering Degree of sorts; I'm contemplating being a High School Shop teacher someday. :)
As for the boat, it's a 52' Hatteras we use for Nomad Sport Fishing run out of Dana Landing, Right across the entrance to Sea World. It's getting worked on right now, a couple of new transmissions and Turbos as well as some other goodies, also going to re-design the main cabin interior once all the engine work is done.
Wow! Not at all what I expected.

But the boat is the reason I asked...I have tons of sea time, and I've been looking to find a sport fishing job somewhere nice. So if you really are considering expanding your business, let me know. =)

Sortof unrelated, but what kind of mains are you running? And those hatteras' are pretty boats, but they're only able to be licensed as six packs due to the lack of a sidedeck, correct?

**PS Sorry for hijacking the thread....

·
Registered
1995 L
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
So I should probably just keep the AZ plates for the Subi, change the Denali and G35 to Cali plates? I'll still have an AZ Address I can use to keep the plates current.
I Just want to be able to go on beer runs and drive to the track with it, It's a PITA to trailer a car to the track, it's much cooler to drive it there and back amyways. :D

·
Registered
99 Forester & RS
1,106 Posts
JDM wont pass in Cali for sure. So you might want to keep your AZ plate and when you need to renew the tag, go back to AZ and renew it again.
If your car got pulled over by pigs and complain about changing your plate to Cali one, you are in deep trouble. Because it happened to me when i drove around with WA plate in San Diego. I got pulled over 2 times in a week. So i had to get a Cali plate.

·
Registered
99 RS-T
267 Posts
JDM wont pass in Cali for sure. So you might want to keep your AZ plate and when you need to renew the tag, go back to AZ and renew it again.
If your car got pulled over by pigs and complain about changing your plate to Cali one, you are in deep trouble. Because it happened to me when i drove around with WA plate in San Diego. I got pulled over 2 times in a week. So i had to get a Cali plate.
Will JDM pass in WA?

·
Registered
1995 L
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's the thing, I only drive it a few times a month. What is it about the JDM motor that won't pass? It runs cleaner than most of the 2.5 STI's around here.

JDM passes emissions here in AZ, and is OBD-II.

·
Registered
99 Forester & RS
1,106 Posts
Will JDM pass in WA?
I got no idea because I don't have a JDM. All i know is all the emission test centers in WA are run by DMV. not like in CA. I forgot the how you guys call DMV in WA. i know its different.

JDM passes emissions here in AZ, and is OBD-II.
OBDII = More troubles in CA

1 - 20 of 36 Posts